Question Dino Crash Testing

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
1) They stand by the Mighty Tite *when used properly.* And the claim by techs that it's never used properly, that anyone who buys it is going to abuse it, and it breaks seatbelts and retractors falls on ears that simply say, "Well, if they used it properly..."

2) Everyone says they're crash tested. Diono is not an exception to that. Great. Maybe they were. Show me the sections in FMVSS213 that pertain to aftermarket products and I'll consider that statement worth something. (there aren't any sections, FMVSS213 doesn't cover aftermarket products) They could say they crash tested it to the specifications of the space shuttle and there's no way to prove or disprove the statement. Nor does that translate well into how it'll react at ground speeds at normal temperatures. May make one heck of a heat shield, but a lousy accessory.

Wendy

KaiLing

Well, for the Mighty Tight, wouldn't that be FMVSS 208 (the seat belt one)? They don't mention that. So they're just claiming that it is tested to the standard having to do with the seat. Damaging the seat belt over time... potentially not covered by 213 (the car seat one). They say it didn't "interfere" with the seat belt system but they don't mention the Federal standard about seat belt.

Put differently, a seat that passes 213 wouldn't (theoretically if testing worked this way) pass 208 in a car with a great big hole in the seat belt if that's how it's installed.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I fully believe that Diono has crash-tested its aftermarket products with its seats, and I assume that means that their seats continued to meet FMVSS requirements when used with those products.

I believe the Mighty-Tite also falls into that category.

The problem is that the Mighty-Tite is an add-on to the seatbelt, not the seat itself, and that a crash test doesn't take into consideration the full range of problems that can arise with that product. Just because the seat performed fine in a test doesn't mean that the seatbelt won't erode over time.

3monstars

Ok so taking all that into account, why does everyone seem so trusting of the angle adjuster?
They say it's been tested, but, again what does that mean if there is not really any regulation for testing after market accessories.
Can we be sure it won't affect performance of the seat in an accident because it was tested with the seat? (I'm guessing yes?)
My first thought was YAY! finally. Then when I thought of the bad press other accessories get I got a bit worried.
I'm no expert or tech though so it was just a feeling I got, any info to help quash that feeling is most welcome! :)

EmmaGrace'sMom

Ok so taking all that into account, why does everyone seem so trusting of the angle adjuster?
They say it's been tested, but, again what does that mean if there is not really any regulation for testing after market accessories.
Can we be sure it won't affect performance of the seat in an accident because it was tested with the seat? (I'm guessing yes?)
My first thought was YAY! finally. Then when I thought of the bad press other accessories get I got a bit worried.
I'm no expert or tech though so it was just a feeling I got, any info to help quash that feeling is most welcome! :)
I think most of us feel that the angle adjuster is less of an "after market - use with any seat type" of thing and more of "Yes our seat over reclines in some/many cars, this will help" type thing. If that makes sense.

Pixels

The angle adjust is no different than, say, the infant foam insert for new generation Britax seats. The manufacturer says that it's okay with their seats, that they have tested it and it is fine. That's all we have to go on. Either you trust the company, or you don't. Personally, I feel that I have to have a certain amount of trust in the company in order for my child to ride in one of their seats. If I'm okay with my child in X seat, then I'm okay with doing whatever the manufacturer of X seat says is okay.

Pretty much every manufacturer makes aftermarket accessories, and approves those accessories for use with every seat on the market. At the same time, pretty much every manufacturer also says that you can not use accessories manufactured by anyone else with their seats.

The angle adjuster, along with the Britax foam I mentioned above, are a couple of exceptions where the manufacturer says it can only be used with their own seats, and not even every seat made by that manufacturer, just certain ones.

monstah

The accessories are available for anyone to add to any seat are a bit different. Want a Mighty Tight for your Britax? Sure, it passed testing, here ya go! : Danger, danger! Will Robinson. :

Whereas the angle adjuster was invented, developed and produced exclusively for the Radian. It is not to be used with any other seat. Many manufacturers have add-ons that are specific to their seat. Britax has an infant positioner, Orbit has a bundle-me type covering, etc. My opinion is that these accessories that are made specifically for one model / brand car seat and are NOT universal are safe.

I almost compare it to a recall. The company recognized a problem thanks to the feedback of its consumers so it developed a fix. It's not a safety problem so no reason for a recall. But I consider this - If the recline created a safety problem so the company produced this and sent it out as a fix, would you refuse to use it? Some people may answer yes, some no. I respect either answer. We have to be comfortable with the decisions we make for our family.

ETA: Pixels reply wasn't there when I started. :p

Last edited:

lilliput

Thank you for this discussion. It's been very, very helpful for me, clarifying some reservations I had about the idea of "needing" the adjuster and how it relates to other aftermarket accessories. I am making peace with it!

3monstars

Ok thanks everyone. I feel much happier about the adjuster now :) Makes complete sense that's it's not a universal accessory and specifically for the Radian seats. I appreciate the info.

NBTech

CPS Technician
Great discussion! Thank you for tossing this around with me. I had a mom come in who had done ALOT of research and I had to work hard to make my point about crash testing (I am going to steal the shuttle comment Wendy!) vs. acceptable install methods. I am not a fan of the Dino marketing team. :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC