FR85 and RNXTSL in Civiv Hybrid or Prius

EmmaGrace'sMom

FR85 and RNXTSL in Civiv Hybrid or Prius...UPDATE

Will they fit with the RN rf middle and FR85 outboard? I'm toying with the idea of downgrading from my Pilot....but only if the girls can be side by side to keep a seat open. I could save about $200 a month between payment and gas. I am concerned about the lack of "cargo" space though. I would probably buy an 09' of either one.

Update: THEY FIT!!! I'm so excited, I can now cut my gas usage by 60-70%! I'll try to take a pic tomorrow!

Last edited:
ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I seriously doubt it, but I should be able to tell you in a few days.

I am able to get a Frontier (pass. side) and a RF Radian (center) in a Toyota Corrolla and they fit nicely... did that for a family that came to me a couple of weeks ago. But I couldn't get the FR and a FF Radian in together. I could barely get two FF Radians in next to each other. I can't do that in my Civic.

I have a FR on the way and I do plan to try it in my Civic with my RF Radian, but I don't have a lot of hope.

christineka

I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt it. I can barely get a ffing classic marathon to fit next to a ffing radian. They don't fit if going opposite directions. The frontier is really wide.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Concurring w the pp that it won't happen in a Prius. Ff rn center and rf outboard barely fits.

EmmaGrace'sMom

They fit...both independent installs! The FR is as close to the door as it can get and the RN fits between the front seats like a dream!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Which vehicle do they fit in? I can't even get the door shut with a FR85 outboard and a RF Radian center in my '05 Civic.

creideamh

I can't get the FR outboard with a RN next to it without half of the FR up on the outboard contours. Which car?!?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Good to know! I think it would actually fit in my '05 if it weren't for the way the handle on the door hits the cup holder on the Frontier. If the handle were a tad higher so it would puzzle, or if the Frontier didn't have cup holders, it would be fine. The '09 must have a different shape to the seat and/or door to make it work.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Yay!! I missed this post earlier, but I can actually do that same combo in my 98 CRV very easily, and the backseat width is about the same back there as a small car like the Prius.

EmmaGrace'sMom

Good to know! I think it would actually fit in my '05 if it weren't for the way the handle on the door hits the cup holder on the Frontier. If the handle were a tad higher so it would puzzle, or if the Frontier didn't have cup holders, it would be fine. The '09 must have a different shape to the seat and/or door to make it work.
The door handles are really slim and the bolsters don't seem to be very big. LBP gave an awesome install, I hate the belt routing for LBP...it's so hard to get enough belt without locking the belt and if you lock the belt you have to figure out how to not let it retract. But I feel like it offers some head excursion protection in addition to the tether and since it's a small car there isn't as much clearance. I'll get a picture at some point today, tethering the RNXTSL was also super easy!

EmmaGrace'sMom

e88bf35a.jpg

a691e42b.jpg

685f820c.jpg

2dd0f06b.jpg

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oh yeah, those door handles are shaped WAY differently from mine.

I bought a plastic clamp for about $1 at Harbor Freight to help me with LBP installs. I pull the seat belt all the way out and place the clamp on the seat belt right at the retractor so it can't pull back in. I was careful to choose a clamp that didn't have any teeth or crimpers or anything that might damage the belt.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Now that I see it, I might be able to put my Radian RF outboard (with the angle adjuster) and the Frontier in the center, but for me that's not a solution because the Radian stays in all the time and the Frontier would only be needed three mornings a week - and its seating position needs to be available for a teenager the rest of the time. I can't really safely (no head rest) or comfortably (no leg room) put a teenager in the center. Plus the boys hate sitting next to each other. Alas.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC