Humor me (Sienna Questions... and a T&C question)

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
So, the 2004 Limited is still my first choice I think. It has all the features I want; it's a good price. But then I read this

The second-generation Sienna was produced from 2004-'10. We would recommend looking at 2005-and-newer models (built after February 2005), as Toyota strengthened the van's side structure and revised the side airbags to improve performance in side-impact crashes.

on Edmunds.com, and now I'm nervous. What does that mean? I know it has side airbags because it's a Limited. But WTH is the side-structure business? Should I take it out of the mix?

My next question is, because it's so far away, I can't really test drive it easily (I will before I buy, definitely, of course). But I need to make sure I fit in the firking in thing first (I have disgustingly short legs. It makes larger vehicles difficult for me - I couldn't drive the now-totaled Durango). Would a slightly different model year (2005-2008) be that much different? These are out of our price range, but closer so that I could test drive and see if I can reach the pedals. :eek::eek::eek:

I also came across a Town and Country that DH REALLY likes. It's in our price range, but an '08. And I'm fairly sure it has that telesoping foot pedal business, which is good for me. But I don't really know anything about Town and Countries (Countrys?) or if they play well with Radians.

ETA: I'm still going to test drive a couple Sedonas, but it's really hard to find an EX around here (honestly most of them are pretty stipped of features altogether)

ADS

Pixels

Edmunds is talking about the frame of the vehicle, the skeleton. I would trust Edmunds, personally. If they say the frame is stronger on the 2005+ models, I personally would skip the 2004.

The 2005-2010 Siennas didn't do well in rear impact crashes, receiving a poor rating: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/headrestraints.aspx?toyota

No car is perfect, so only you can decide what works for your family.

GL!

That rear impact rating has nothing to do with a rear impact crash test. It is ONLY a test of the driver's seat head restraint performance for the adult male dummy, at whatever settings they choose for the test. It does not have anything to do with vehicle energy absorbing (crumple zone), protection of any occupants other than the driver, and isn't applicable if you are drastically different in size than the adult male dummy.

Too often, I see them testing the head restraint when they have not adjusted the seat properly. The Sienna was tested with the seat pretty reclined and the head restraint was far away from the dummy's head. I have a 2006 Sienna, and my seat is adjusted so that the head restraint is in contact with my head while I am driving.

Like with seat belt fit, what's most important is how the vehicle fits YOU. I'm happier with the occupant protection in my Sienna than in my Civic or DH's Grand Am because the lap belt fit is better and the head restraint is optimal rather than merely adequate.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I feel fairly confident in keeping Siennas in general on list, but I'm officially taking the 2004 OFF. I'm now looking at a 2006 XLE with similar mileage to the 2004.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC