roundabout55 vs radian

justamom

There's a 1" difference in harness height and a 1.5" difference in shell height. There's a $70+ price difference too.

I am 5'9 size 2 and hubby is 6' with a 30" waist jeans. Our kiddos are going to be tall, and they'll likely slim down past age 3.
DD is 29 months, 12.5" torso (38" overall height and ~35lbs clothed but she just weaned). I'm not worried about her - she'll fit anything. She's currently in a RF Marathon70 and I think she'll fit in it a while.
DS is 8 months, 12" torso (30" overall height and ~25lbs). I have to replace his seat.

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300. I found 2 posts about getting a RF Radian in there. Hubby has a 2006 Toyota Prius and car seats can't touch the front seats. I have found a few posts about successful Radian installs. We swap cars 1-2 times a month.
But if I save some money now and just get a Roundabout 55, it seems like I'll have an easier install (lock-off clips!!) and will have a better budget in a few years to get a longer lasting combo seat. Surely I can watch sales and find a Nauti for around $100 or who knows what will be on the market in a few years.

The TrueFit is also an option, but that thing looks monstrous.

I'm going tomorrow to try seats out in my car.
Thoughts?

ADS

Jessica61624

What are you rear facing goals? I think actual shell height on the Radian is more than 1.5 over the ra55. My son has nearly outgrown the Britax while he has inches to grow in the Radian. The Radian also provides more leg room. Diono just released an angle adjuster which will get the seats more upright and give the driver and passenger more room. That being said if your rf goal is to 3 I'd get the ra55. If its as long as possible I'd get the Radian. You can find the older model Radians for pretty cheap right now.

justamom

Thanks!
I was looking at the posted internal seat height, but I guess the angle of the seat makes a difference with tail bone and all for seated height. Good point!

I'll try the Radian in my car for sure. But if it puts up a good fight, and I only got to age 3 RF in a ra55, I think I'd feel comfortable turning forward at age 3.

It seems like the market has exploded in the past 3 years since I first picked out my daughter's seat. I really don't remember this many brands on the market! I imagine something impressive will be on the market by the time my son (and/or daughter) outgrow(s) a standard convertible RF.
Hubby and I both have over 200,000 miles on our cars too so it may turn out the engines don't last another 2-3 years.

If the radian easily fits, I'll shop sales for sure. I hate decision making with large purchases when the future is unknown. ;)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have an average-height (overall) 15 month old daughter with a long torso. I would be shocked if she could still RF in the RA55 at age three. I have one, but I consider it a "temporary" seat. I think she'll easily make it to four in the Radian. The difference in the amount of space over her head is huge.

java

We tried a radian in our car. It worked pretty good, but took up just a tiny bit too much space and I couldn't for the life of me get the infant seat next to it that I know we would need to do. So we passed on it and got a roundabout 55 instead since it takes up less front to back space (then they came out with the angle adjust like right AFTER I returned the radian)

Here are some pics though. In the radian DD was about 15 mths old which would put her right around 17 lbs and 28 inches tall.

And here is the roundabout 55 about 1 mth later (almost to the day) and she was about the same size I would guess.

Overall I loved the radian for the legroom and the low sides so that I could load her more easily. But the roundabout will work for us for a long time! It is difficult to get her in and out though, and getting harder as she is getting taller. IF I had a slightly bigger car, I would totally go for the radian again. It has a learning curve when it comes to installing and use (more things that you can do wrong than with the RA55) but once you learn the seat well, I think it is a great option if it fits. The RA55 does take up significantly less space rfing, at least in our car. I am quite tempted to try the radian again with the angle adjuster, but I don't feel 100% comfortable with the adjuster.

justamom

Thank you!

The Radian is definitely taller for a longer lasting convertible.
We have a Marathon 70 outboard now for my 29-month daughter, so I know about the challenges of getting her in it quickly. ;) She can climb in on her own, or we get in on the far side and I let her climb across and get settled (confined within the car at least) while I buckle my son in the middle.

Are those pics in a Prius?

I'm seeing that the Diono angle adjuster is sold out but expected to restock in January. Ugh!

Decisions, decisions....

careynj

Java, how much leg room does you DD have in the RA55 at this point? I haven't gotten to use mine yet, but the kids that would be using it would be about her age. Just wondering :)

Jessica61624

careynj said:
Java, how much leg room does you DD have in the RA55 at this point? I haven't gotten to use mine yet, but the kids that would be using it would be about her age. Just wondering :)

My ds was 17 months here. I believe he was just over 32 inches. His legs were bending while in the Radian they barely touched the back seat.

View attachment 14203

Last edited:

java

My ds was 17 months here. I believe he was just over 32 inches. His legs were bending while in the Radian they barely touched the back seat.

View attachment 14203

DD is 18 mths today and has about that much room too, maybe a tad more but she is small. Pretty much the same as in my siggy pic, but I know that's not the best pic to show leg room. It definitely isn't a great seat for leg room, it's one of the main things I don't like about the seat. But otherwise, it is great.

careynj

Yeah, I knew going in it wasn't great for leg room, my niece has a MA, but I just love it, I got it in the polka dot too, to match my tan interior :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC