NEW update to last weeks advisory should be posted on Britax site later today!

Connor's Mom

I posted this in another thread but I thought it would be easier to see if I just started a new thread.

I just spoke with Britax rep Amber. She states that she had in hand an update to the advisory with todays date in her hand. She stated that this letter would be able to be found on the Britax website later today or tomorrow. It states that you may continue the use the previous install instructions (the ones in the old manual) with your Britax Regent manufactured prior to 6/18 if you choose as these install instructions are perfectly safe. It will be the parents choice as to use the new installs for the "enhancements" because the "new" and the "old" instructions both pass the national safety testing and are very safe. She said that it WILL NOT void your warranty if you choose to use the old install instructions and that the new statement will state this.

So we just need to watch the site and look for the letter.

On another note, the reason that I called them was that I have not even received my advisory letter issued last week. So, she looked up my registration on my seat and who ever had put the data in screwed up and had my state and zip code wrong. :mad: So, she changed it and hopefully I will be getting every thing in the mail.
I have a seat check this Friday and I was hoping to get the new manual in before then. I don't need the other stuff right now as DS is only 33lbs and I have the seat installed LBP, recline bar and tethered. I guess if I don't get the stuff before Friday I can just print out all the letters and the new install instructions off the Britax site and take it all with me. :rolleyes:
I still don't know at this point whether to leave the recline bar in. I liked the install with out it but I think I will wait and see what the tech says.

ADS

MySillyKids

So why did they waste their time. Because now all the regent owners, that are not on here, or other car seat boards, will be like 'well what do i do now'

So they are sending out 'you MUST use this' letters, but yet, you dont HAVE to if you have an OLD seat, because if you have a NEW seat, the new LATCH should already be there.

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle: :whistle:

:ugh:

Connor's Mom

I think that they are doing this due to the overwhelming responses that they got from Regent owners last week informing them that the seat was now incompatible with their cars due to the new install methods. I think that they are trying to cover their arses IMO. I never could understand how that they could put out a seat with a set of instructions for almost 2 years and then come out and require you to change the installation. I just think that they are figuring out that they screwed the pooch on this one are back tracking. I really would like to see the data behind the new install.

Mama2J

Well this is good news then. I mean we all wanted to know that our kids had been safe the way it was installed before, that the Britax manual says our installs are correct, and that it is compatible with our vehicles.

If this is the case, I think I'll leave the LBP but remove the recline bar.

LuvBug

well it appears to have been posted in place of the other Q&A page and with the same date as the other information.
It looks as though all they did was add this to the new one:
Is my child in danger if I use the seat as instructed in the user guide I received with the child
seat originally?
If my vehicle seat belt webbing is too short, I can’t install my Regent child seat with the
recline bar, etc., can I continue to use the restraint as I have it installed now?
Do I have to follow the advisory?
You can continue to use the Regent child seat as instructed in the user’s guide you
received attached to the restraint at the time of purchase.
During the prescribed certification testing of the Regent youth child seat it met or
exceeded the federal government standards (FMVSS 213) at the time it was launched in
November 2005.
This advisory to our Regent child seat consumers is to advise you that the product can
provide enhanced performance by following the direction of the advisory.
the original Q&A was http://www.britaxusa.net/support/documents/REG_ConsAdv_QA.pdf
the new one now in its place is http://www.britaxusa.net/support/documents/REG_ConsumerAdvisory_QA2.pdf

Morganthe

Ah well, that's going to make everyone just feel so warm and comforted. NOT!
Especially since on Page three of your new 'link' it still clearly and succinctly announces that the Recline bar is Mandatory in ALL positions :thumbsdown:

I also feel sorry for the new owners who get to deal with this after the cutoff date+ those who are getting 2 sets of notifications in the mail & don't frequent the Carseat board sites. It's going to be even uglier now :rolleyes:

waterbaby

Well good, that solved a lot of problems for users that had difficult installs. A bit of a headache in the process, but a nice conclusion. There will be people all ticked off about this, too, I'm sure. But I'm grateful Britax has been proactive about this.

Kellyr2

The skeptical part of my brain thinks, "hmm, are they saying this just because they don't want to have to refund a bunch of people on their newly purchased Regents?" I mean, I would hope they wouldn't do that, but given the Dorel fiasco, the thought just crosses my mind.
I'm so glad I have Huskies.

supercrunch

I have the same feeling as Kelly...

I really think they're just issuing this last notice to get everyone to put a sock in it.

Before this fiasco...I felt like the Regent was a rock of security, and now I feel like it's just "okay"
I have honestly considered going back to a booster instead. Since Britax has been wavering so much on this issue, it makes me feel unsure that they are telling us the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

LuvBug

I think they are just trying to cover their butts. They dont want to have to refund or replace the seats for the people that the new install doesnt work... so they are saying it is OK again to use the "not enhanced, not as safe, but still safe" method. I think its crap. that is what I think! I think they need to release test results so we can see just how this enhancement affects a seat. It obviously had to be much better in testing or they wouldnt have put all the time and energy into creating a new manual and such...

Dont forget to report to the NHTSA when you find an error or conflict. I will be writing them again about these sheets and their inconsistancies.

LuvBug

I'm so glad I have Huskies.

my worry is that they just didnt even bother to test the huskies for enhancement. So it is possible that before this the regent and husky tested the same, but now they have enhanced the regent after further testing... but didnt bother with the husky since it is no longer made and "passed the standard already"
and that upsets me too. Id like to know if changing my install on my husky could improve its performance!!!

singingpond

Before this fiasco...I felt like the Regent was a rock of security, and now I feel like it's just "okay"
I have honestly considered going back to a booster instead. Since Britax has been wavering so much on this issue, it makes me feel unsure that they are telling us the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Exactly. I don't own a Regent, partly because it's hard to figure out how to use such a wide seat when you have to do 3-across, and partly because my oldest is just now outgrowing his Wizard. However, I've always seen it as a desirable future option. Now, a good booster, plus perhaps the 86-Y harness, is looking more appealing. I just wish Britax would be much more transparent about the reasons behind all these course changes. I guess I'm still a Britax fan (will probably order a Marathon in the next few days for one of my younger kids), but my confidence is shaken, and I couldn't justify spending the money for a Regent in the current atmosphere of uncertainty.

Katrin

arly1983

I think they are just trying to cover their butts. They dont want to have to refund or replace the seats for the people that the new install doesnt work... so they are saying it is OK again to use the "not enhanced, not as safe, but still safe" method. I think its crap. that is what I think! I think they need to release test results so we can see just how this enhancement affects a seat. It obviously had to be much better in testing or they wouldnt have put all the time and energy into creating a new manual and such...

Dont forget to report to the NHTSA when you find an error or conflict. I will be writing them again about these sheets and their inconsistancies.

Me, too...

Connor's Mom

Well, this is not what she told me they where doing. :thumbsdown:

At least they are giving those parents that the new install didn't work for a choice and that it will not void the warranty. They also did say that the "old" installation met or exceeded federal government standards. I still think that they have a long way to go to clear this whole mess up. I think that they need to make the info regarding the enhancements available to users so that we can make a more informed decision as what to do because I mean we are talking about a car seat not a lawn chair. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC