Question Best booster for 7 y.o.?

U

Unregistered

I need help finding a good high back booster for my 7 y.o. son. I kept him harnessed in a Britax Frontier until his birthday a couple of months ago. He has been using it as a belt-positioning booster until now, but I would like to buy a new seat for him so that I can pass the Frontiers on to my daughter, who will soon outgrow her convertible seats. My son is 49" tall and weighs about 48 pounds. I would prefer a seat that I can LATCH in. I just bought a new Diono Monterey but need to return it because of problems with the upper belt guides (and I have already trouble-shooted this with a Diono rep) - it is not a safe seat for him. I have always bought Britax seats, but am a little reluctant to buy a Parkway SGL because of the Secureguard clip - at his age I don't think he will like it. Any suggestions?

ADS

hrice

Welcome to car-seat.org!

LATCH on boosters is only to keep the booster from becoming a projectile. It is not an added safety feature beyond that. I understand the attraction but you are very limited if you only want boosters with that feature. The Monterey, Cybex X Fix (being discontinued) and the Parkway SGL are the only boosters with LATCH that aren't combo seats.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the SG clip on the Parkway is removable.

How old and heavy is your daughter?

Heather, CPST and Momma to Dustin 11/01, Colton 6/08 and Peyton 6/09

U

Unregistered

The latch connectors are not a dealbreaker, I just thought it would be easier/convenient for my car where he rides most of the time not to have to re-buckle the seat each time. My daughter is 4 1/2 and about 40 pounds. She is in a Britax Boulevard now - could probably use it a bit longer but her other seat in my husband's car expired (a Marathon passed down from my son) which is why I needed to start upgrading them. So now I have thrown out the Marathon and given her one of the Frontiers. I got a Diono Monterey for my son in that car but need to return it because the belt does not retract well in the upper guide and it tends to slip out too. I am not comfortable with that. So need to find a booster seat for him, or purchase another Frontier for my daughter (and give him his old one back) but that is more expensive.

Thanks for your help!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Cleks are LATCHable, the Compass Pathways (but they're short), the Parkway (the SecureGuard is optional), the Monterey, and I think that's it for dedicated high backs.

Wendy

hrice

wendytthomas said:
The Cleks are LATCHable, the Compass Pathways (but they're short), the Parkway (the SecureGuard is optional), the Monterey, and I think that's it for dedicated high backs.

Wendy

Duh, I can't believe I forgot about Clek!

Heather, CPST and Momma to Dustin 11/01, Colton 6/08 and Peyton 6/09

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC