The most expired car seats i've ever seen in my life

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I went outlet shopping saturday and I did not see one nonexpired car seat the entire time I was there. I'm talking 10-15 year old snugrides in strollers, a century seat in a brand new ford focus. I'm really thinking about going back with flyers and putting them on car windows :rolleyes:

ADS

BrookysMommy

I thought about doing the same thing when I went to the mall yesterday :p
The ones that bug me the most are the expired seats in new cars.

cmcki737

What warms my heart though is beat up or older cars with perfect brand new car seats...I try to focus on those and feel happy that some people do try and care :)

robbertbobbert

tam_shops said:
Pet peeve of mine expired or cheap seats in very expensive cars!!!! :thumbsdown:

tam

Cheap seats don't bother me as long as theyre being used correctly but I agree on expired.

tam_shops

I LOVE brand new and/or fancy car seats in cars that look like they are about to fall apart themselves! It always makes me smile!

Sorry, it doesn't impress me to see a Scenera in a BMW or Mercedes. If you can spend the extra money on the *name* for you car, then buy a seat w/ some extra padding, to keep your LO more comfortable...Nothing wrong with it, just a difference in values, I value my LOs comfort more than a flashy car.

A Scenera in a Toyota, Honda or Ford, I think nothing of it, just something about the miss-matched values to have one in a BMW.

tam

Jessica61624

tam_shops said:
I LOVE brand new and/or fancy car seats in cars that look like they are about to fall apart themselves! It always makes me smile!

Sorry, it doesn't impress me to see a Scenera in a BMW or Mercedes. If you can spend the extra money on the *name* for you car, then buy a seat w/ some extra padding, to keep your LO more comfortable...Nothing wrong with it, just a difference in values, I value my LOs comfort more than a flashy car.

A Scenera in a Toyota, Honda or Ford, I think nothing of it, just something about the miss-matched values to have one in a BMW.

tam

This is my car. LOL it looks like its ready to fallacy apart imo. And I've got a frontier and a Radian. My boss commented about people breaking into cars and I said I don't have to worry because my car isn't nice enough and I don't leave anything in it. She said well you've got some expensive car seats in there! I doubt anyone could get them uninstalled!

gagenivy

My friend's cousin bought a BMW and a new Britax. The car got stolen and when recovered, the car was fine but seat stolen.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
My friend's cousin bought a BMW and a new Britax. The car got stolen and when recovered, the car was fine but seat stolen.

Sure - it's much easier to sell or return a CR to a store than the car.

I don't might cheap seats in new or expensive cars . . .I often see those at check events and its grandparents, who don't transport child often or if often, then only for short distances. I'm good with that. They're coming in to make sure they're using it correctly.

Kobain's Mommy

I would rather see a non expired cheap seat in an expensive new car than none. Around here there's a large immigrant population that loves their BMWs a lot of them don't find car seats a necessity or if they do have them they are expired/been through many kids in the family or aren't use correctly.

ProudMommysince09

This is my car. LOL it looks like its ready to fallacy apart imo. And I've got a frontier and a Radian. My boss commented about people breaking into cars and I said I don't have to worry because my car isn't nice enough and I don't leave anything in it. She said well you've got some expensive car seats in there! I doubt anyone could get them uninstalled!

My dad's car was broken into, they took everything, including McD's napkins, except my DD's carseat :D.

My neighbors have horrendous carseat usage and they have a very expired seat, doesnt even have a cover just plastic shell, if they use one at all. :(

tam_shops

I'll agree to that, cheap is better than none! It's the really old, dirty, twisted straps (OH shield a favourite) that really get to me. Interesting that the immigrant population there skips seats, here for the most part, they do use them, not as well as they should, but at least you can say they're trying...

IDK when you're paying twice the price for a fancy BMW, it just gets to me that you don't value everything *in* the car too. Nothing wrong with it, just different values I guess, if I had an extra $40,000 it wouldn't go to a fancier car. I like my Toyota! LOL

tam

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe people are able to afford the expensive car because they don't unnecessarily spend extra money.

AtTheSouthDam

The ones that make me raise and eyebrow are the expensive cars with a Birtax Blvd or the like for the younger kid and the older one in the cheapest HBB WalMart sells. I understand a second kid is expensive and all but I assure a TB is going to fit their scrawny 3/4yo better than the Evenflo Big Kid and it's only $20 more. It's like they started on the right foot then gave up.

ETA: I think I see the "gave up" phrasing problem. NOT on car seats in general, no they're still doing that, more on the"I'm going to provide you with the best of everything!" mentality many people start with wen they have a baby. (Not saying Britax is the best, just thoughts that run through my head when I see it)

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
atsuydam said:
The ones that make me raise and eyebrow are the expensive cars with a Birtax Blvd or the like for the younger kid and the older one in the cheapest HBB WalMart sells. I understand a second kid is expensive and all but I assure a TB is going to fit their scrawny 3/4yo better than the Evenflo Big Kid and it's only $20 more. It's like they started on the right foot then gave up.

But again, that's assuming that Britax is better than something else, and that the Turbo is better than the Big Kid. You CAN'T assure that the Turbo is a better fit.

I don't understand how one kid being in a Britax and another in an Evenflo is "giving up."

alake

Before we moved to Florida while still in Canada I drove a 1998 chevy cavalier, and my DH drove a 1994 van with two frontier xts. I was given a free 1999 van, and drove that until we moved. We bought the seats in January 2010.

AtTheSouthDam

But again, that's assuming that Britax is better than something else, and that the Turbo is better than the Big Kid. You CAN'T assure that the Turbo is a better fit.

I don't understand how one kid being in a Britax and another in an Evenflo is "giving up."

You're right, I can't assure it fits better. I probably phrased wrong but I can't figure out the right words but even here we would rarely recommend and Evenflo big kid for a small booster rider. And the parent around here that gets the the expensive Britax gets it because "it's expensive therefore the best" mentality. And I did say it just makes me ponder. Expensive convertible & cheap booster. Why is it when they move to a booster it suddenly doesn't seem to matter? And moving the kids so soon? By the new kid a Scenera and keep the 3 year old harnessed! I just don't like that is seems once the new chhild needs the expensive convertible the older child gets cheapest thing on the shelf at the local big box mart, whether they're ready for it or not. And I rarely, if ever, see this occurring in less expensive cars. If it's a cheap car then chances the carseats of equal quality. Does this make since?

I realize it assuming a lot and these are merely the thoughts that run through my head when I see it. This is the only place I speak them out loud because I just find it odd. I realize my priorities in car seats are different then many of those in my community.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
All carseats are equally safe, so I don't care how expensive the seat or the car are as long as the seat is being used properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC