My insurance company's policy re: replacing car seats

msg221

I was just curious what their policy would be (I have my car insurance through Hartford) for replacing car seats so I called them. First off, the CSR didn't know, and had to put me on hold. Then when she got back to me, she said that it wouldn't be covered under my auto policy because it would be considered personal property, and therefore fall under our homeowner's insurance policy. Has anyone ever heard of this before? To me, that is BS, because one, I don't want it under my homeowner's policy and 2) Does this mean they would make me pay my $500 deductible first, meaning it likely wouldn't be worth the claim?

Of course, if I were to get into an accident and it was the other person's fault, then I know their insurance would be responsible for replacement, but I just wanted to know what my insurance company's policy was, and right now, I don't like it!

ADS

Mysweethoneybee

I have Shelter Insurance and in the event of an accident that was my fault or with an under insured or uninsured motorist it only covers what was installed by the factory. Which does not include child restraint seats or any other personal property. I don't know if that is only in Missouri or only Shelter or if it is pretty much normal.

msg221

That is pretty much what they told me: since child restraints wouldn't be considered part of the actual vehicle, it wouldn't be covered under my vehicle policy.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Would they cover a stereo you had installed??

My Ins tried that and I was given the tip to tell them that it should be covered since it is attached to the vehicle (like a stereo you had installed).

Its attached via seat belt/UAS/LATCH.

I told my Ins that and they covered it :)

msg221

Would they cover a stereo you had installed??

My Ins tried that and I was given the tip to tell them that it should be covered since it is attached to the vehicle (like a stereo you had installed).

Its attached via seat belt/UAS/LATCH.

I told my Ins that and they covered it :)

I will have to remember this! Seems to me that having spare seats would be a pretty good thing because if I end up having to pay for seats out of pocket, I may not be able to right then. At least I'd have some on hand until I could replace them.

soccer_widow

Also check your state insurance codes. Many require replacement under certain circumstances. Also, I would get a copy of your entire policy and read it carefully. If you have an attorney friend, even better. Often the ins. agent is not fully aware of the meaning in the language, or is not being completely honest with you.

Can you tell I have a dad who is a personal injury lawyer and deals with ins. companies every day?;)

cherrymomo

In California it's easy.

The insurance companies are required to reimburse you for a car seat replacement IF the car seat was occupied by the child at the time of the accident.

msg221

I will have to hunt down our policy and see if it says anything in there about it. I just wanted to know ahead of time, in case I do ever need to have my seats replaced.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Well, our wreck was "no fault" (so our insurance pays, unless we want to go after the City for not properly salting the bridge).

We have Allstate, and our adjuster said for us to fax in a copy of my receipts, which I obviously don't have anymore. So he said to look up comparable seats online and he would cut a check for replacements. So I printed out 3 links for each seat and faxed that over.

Mysweethoneybee

According to my old insurance agent (now retired) it only has to restore the car to like-factory. (I don't remember the exact words). So my son has a car that has everything for him to play CD's except a CD changer would have to be installed in the trunk. The wiring was all there to just plug the changer into. It wasn't factory original so if he wrecks the CD changer is not covered. Nor are seat covers. Things installed for disabled people are not necessarily covered even. It is all sort of up to the adjuster, but by the terms anything that didn't come with the car doesn't have to be covered under regular policies.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
soccer_widow said:
Also check your state insurance codes. Many require replacement under certain circumstances.

Are there others besides CA and IL? I've tried finding out before, but there's no comprehensive list, and I'm not about to search statutes :p

cherrymomo said:
In California it's easy.

The insurance companies are required to reimburse you for a car seat replacement IF the car seat was occupied by the child at the time of the accident.

California has changed to include unoccupied states, too. (I learned that from soccer_widow ;))

soccer_widow

Are there others besides CA and IL? I've tried finding out before, but there's no comprehensive list, and I'm not about to search statutes :p

California has changed to include unoccupied states, too. (I learned that from soccer_widow ;))

:yeahthatlove:
I happen to have the link handy due to a question on the list-serve last week
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/insurance/ins11580_011.htm

and the applicable part
(e) Upon the filing of a claim pursuant to a policy described in subdivision (b), (c), or (d), unless otherwise determined, an insurer shall have an obligation to ask whether a child passenger restraint system was in use by a child during an accident or was in the vehicle at the time of a loss that is covered by the policy, and an obligation to replace the child passenger restraint system or reimburse the claimant for the cost of purchasing a new passenger restraint system in accordance with this section if it was in use by a child during the accident or if it sustained a covered loss while in the vehicle.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
According to my old insurance agent (now retired) it only has to restore the car to like-factory. (I don't remember the exact words). So my son has a car that has everything for him to play CD's except a CD changer would have to be installed in the trunk. The wiring was all there to just plug the changer into. It wasn't factory original so if he wrecks the CD changer is not covered. Nor are seat covers. Things installed for disabled people are not necessarily covered even. It is all sort of up to the adjuster, but by the terms anything that didn't come with the car doesn't have to be covered under regular policies.

It really depends on how the policy is written. If it is written to like-factory, people with expensive stereo systems can purchase riders to cover that. I assume an agent could write a rider for people with $1200 of carseats in their vehicle.

macmomma

Wow- I had no idea that some insurances are a pain when it comes to replacing car seats:(
When our 17 year old totaled his daddy's truck a couple of weeks ago with two car seats in it... we had no problems whatsoever for State Farm to replace them (kids were not in the car). They did not even ask for the crashed seats back... they still sitting in our garage.... not sure what to do with them...

clmchrissy

Msg was the rep spoke with in policy services or claims? If they were in policy services I would ask to speak to someone in claims. Car seats are not permanently attached to the vehicle making them personal property, but most companies & or adjusters make the decision to cover occupied seats (or unoccupied seats if a total loss).

lovemybabies924

I had to have my agent write the seats into my policy, I have a $100 deductible and $300 coverage per seat to replace.

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC