Radian/Diono Questions

Keeks64

I am getting either an RXT or R120

Im torn though because I really want the RXT for the Cobalt cover , but im not sure of the material and if im going to love the headwings

I dont like the cover colors of the R120 but the storm cover looks alot softer than the Cobalt

Is there a difference in the material of the covers? One better than the other?

If you have the headwings do you like them? Why?

The seat will be used for DS who is 3 RF in our KIA Sportage , might also be used sometimes with 1 year old daycare girl RF obviously

I plan to RF DS , until the max weight/height , which hes only 30lbs soaking wet and has a 13" torso lol so its gonna be a while :D

( included weight/age/height incase that makes a difference over one or the other lol)

I really want to love the RXT for that Cobalt cover , but I dunno...

Help me decide please :D

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have mixed feelings on the wings.

The bad:
1) They're one more thing to adjust.
2) They limit growing room by height for forward-facing kids near the top end of the acceptable height range
3) They are one more thing to "go wrong." I had to have SK replace a set on my first XTSL because they were defective. Not that it was that big a deal, but still.
4) Possibly some kids might not like them because they may limit the view out the side windows.

The good:
1) All the kids I've had ride in my winged Radians have told me that they really like the head wings. Even kids who are used to riding in LBBs in their parents' cars. The only complaint I ever had out of a child about them was when DH's granddaughter finally got too tall to be comfortable in the XTSL and I switched her to an 80SL to eek out that last little bit of growing room (long story why she's not just riding in something else entirely at this point).
2) I do like the additional protection they seem to offer.
3) There seems to be some evidence that head wings may reduce car sickness in some children by limiting their peripheral vision.
4) They're nice for a child to sleep against.

When it came right down to it, I ended up replacing my XTSL with an RXT (only because I got a good deal on a Shadow cover; really I was happy with my XTSL). If I were going to go out and buy another Radian today, I'd have a hard time deciding which model to get.

So basically I'm no help at all. :p

Keeks64

I have mixed feelings on the wings.

The bad:
1) They're one more thing to adjust.
2) They limit growing room by height for forward-facing kids near the top end of the acceptable height range
3) They are one more thing to "go wrong." I had to have SK replace a set on my first XTSL because they were defective. Not that it was that big a deal, but still.
4) Possibly some kids might not like them because they may limit the view out the side windows.

The good:
1) All the kids I've had ride in my winged Radians have told me that they really like the head wings. Even kids who are used to riding in LBBs in their parents' cars. The only complaint I ever had out of a child about them was when DH's granddaughter finally got too tall to be comfortable in the XTSL and I switched her to an 80SL to eek out that last little bit of growing room (long story why she's not just riding in something else entirely at this point).
2) I do like the additional protection they seem to offer.
3) There seems to be some evidence that head wings may reduce car sickness in some children by limiting their peripheral vision.
4) They're nice for a child to sleep against.

When it came right down to it, I ended up replacing my XTSL with an RXT (only because I got a good deal on a Shadow cover; really I was happy with my XTSL). If I were going to go out and buy another Radian today, I'd have a hard time deciding which model to get.

So basically I'm no help at all. :p

Awesome!! Totaly helpful Thank-You :D

My son is a huge car sleeper and I think I like the idea of having the wings to rest his head against , hes currently in an MA65 ( canada) which does kind of limit his vision as is and he doesnt seem to care so I doubt the wings would bother him in that sense

Im not worried about height outgrown FF , Hes got such a short torso and chances are by the time hes outgrown the weight/height for RF I will get bored and want a new seat lol - and we are TTC so passing down to babe is a good option once out grown RF anyways :)

Do you like the material of your shadow cover? Is it soft or kind of like that weird vinyl material? Does it snag easy or show dirt much?

I need one sooner than later , we were in a car accident and I want to replace one of my MA's with the RXT so I can get an RXT locally in storm , or I can wait and order online on Tuesday to get the Cobalt....and the more I go back and forth the more I think the Cobalt is just too bright and would clash lol

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I like the material. It's a little on the slick side, not really soft, but not annoying vinyl-y either. So far it doesn't seem to show dirt. I liked the plush bentley I had before, as well as the Ventura. But I'm on a shadow/onyx kick right now.

Keeks64

Thank-You :)

We have a cowmoo MA and obviously thats soft and plush so I was hoping one of the RXT covers would be similar but seems they are all the same. I dont think DS will care anyways its just me being obsessive about it lol

We are going to replace our MA with an Onyx and keep our 2 Cowmoo covers for spares so im kind of excited now to have that and a storm RXT in the car , they should match pretty well I hope

cat mommy

The Shadow material is OK. It's a lot like the non-plush portion of the Britax Onyx cover. It's not scratchy but it is not soft either. It feels like fabric but not vinyl.

I have the wings and I am so glad I got them. They are not in my way at all when loading and unloading (unlike the BV70s). My kids like to nap on them. They are super easy to adjust so I haven't found fiddling with them to be annoying. My kids can peer around them.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Bentley was plush, and I get the impression that the tan RXT cover, whatever they're calling it now, is the same as Bentley.

Spring is what they used to call Flora and it's plush, too.

Keeks64

We ended up getting a storm RXT today :love:

The cover is MUCH softer/plushier than I expected
Im SUPER happy and excited and we got it for an excellent price ( in canada) so im even more excited lol

I think DS is gonna love it and the wings are not as big as they appear in the stock photo

Thanks again :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC