Another Just got off the phone with Britax

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
and talked to a tech (dang it, forgot her name, had very strong North/South Carolina accent).

OK. deep breath, here goes: before 6/18, you apparently can install any way you line (with or without recline bar, LBP, SBP, whatever). She wouldn't say that there was a structural difference that occurred between 6/17 and 6/19, but sort-of implied so. She also continually called the advisory an "enhancement" and put me on hold twice to confirm (and I had her repeat multiple times). She said she was told this THIS morning.

That if I wanted to use the enhancement on pre 6/18 Regent, that was fine, but that it still met FMVSS 213 without, but AFTER 6/18 I MUST follow the enhancement.

Quote from our conversation:
Me: So if I have a Regent manufactured on the 17th of last month, I don't have to use the recline bar to get an acceptable install
Her: Correct
Me: But if I have a Regent manufactured on June 19th, I have to use te recline bar
Her: Correct
Me: And if I can't get an acceptable install with that recline bar
Her: then you would have to return it
Me: So I guess I want to find a Regent made more than a month ago (half joking)
Her: that's what I would do

sigh... This doesn't sound right to me. I can't imagine there being a difference, you know? Between the Husky and the Regent, sure, but not from one day to the next. I'm still in a predicament.

ADS

Beckers

This doesn't makwe any sense! Why would they send out new manuals that said you *had* to do use the recline bar if it wasn't true??:confused:

supercrunch

okay...Britax really needs to get their act together on this one.

They are making absolutely no sense.
And I am quickly losing respect and trust for them.

If there is a change in the manufacturing of the Regent that requires the new instructions...they need to tell us what that change is.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I asked *repeatedly* if there had been a structural change, only to be told that she can't say one way or the other, but that she could tell me that the regent had undergone more testing (but if the "enhancement" alone or change + enhancement was the outcome, she wouldn't say)

oh, and I was on hold 45 minutes before I got to her (and then on hold for about 7 minutes total of the 2 times she herself put me on hold).

If the regent wasn't this child's ONLY option for harnessing...

cheerbop

This REALLY confuses me! We were (and kind of are) still considering a Regent for our 3 yo who is 35lbs and 40".
I don't know what to do!
We also considered the new Recaros coming out but as he gets bigger, we thought the Recaro would not feel or look like a "Big Kid" seat like a Regent does. To have a child at the uppers of the Recaro, with a base, wouldn't that look odd and also feel odd to the child? I don't know maybe it is just me.

We have a MA for him right now but really kind of wanted to pass that to his younger brother and put him in a Regent but with all this hoopla, we are very confused. And this phone conversation of yours is making me more confused.:confused:

cryswilkins

Changes in the manufacturing have to take place at some point be it the 1st of the month or the 18th. That much makes sense to me. BUT As far as anyone knows there are not any changes in the structure of the new seats right?? Thant is where I am lost.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
This makes me wonder if there really is a difference, or if they're just inundated with more angry owners than they thought and they're backtracking... :cool:

ZephyrBlue

I just spoke with a rep named Angie and she told me that it was indeed optional to use the enhancement kit for seats manufactured before 6/18. And she did reiterate that the seat still met all govt. crash test requirements if installed with any of the methods outlined in the manual that came with a seat w/DOM prior to 6/18. She sounded VERY sure of herself, not at all confused or grasping at straws, kwim? And she did not need to put me on hold to check the info.

Could they make it any more :confused:???

arly1983

So let me get this strait, after issuing new kits and latch straps to every regent owner (dom before 6/18), now they are saying the new manuals and kits are "optional"....

BTW, I though that all the govt. crash test requirements for a carseat that carries this high a weight are very low and new standards are coming out in '09? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

supercrunch

I have a hard time believing that it is entirely "optional"

The reps have been saying for over a week that the new install methods and recline bar are manditory.

If it was optional...would Britax bother spending all the money to send out the kits? Wouldn't they just make it available on a requested basis?

ZephyrBlue

I know, it's really strange. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a pre-6/18 Regent and use the non-recline bar, LBP install for my 42lb 7yo or buy a post-6/18 model and try for a "permissable" install. It all sounds great, buying an older one and using it in any of the old permissible ways, but why does the info on the Britax site say that use of the enhancements is "strongly encouraged", and that recline bar is required?? Oy. Headache, anyone?

Reading through the Consumer Advisory online, there is VERY conflicting info. in the Q & A section. "You can continue to use the Regent child seat as instructed in the user's guide you received attached to the restraint at the time of purchase" in response to the question "Is my child in danger if I use the seat as instructed in the user guide I received with the child seat originally?" Then, further down: "Do I have to use the recline bar? It did not use to be mandatory. I no longer have mine. What do I do?" is answered with, "Yes, installation using the recline bar is REQUIRED in all modes of installation (long or short route, lap-shoulder, or LATCH) regardless of the child's weight and regardless if it's tethered or not"

HUH???? So if the new installs and enhancements are "optional", then why does the letter spell out that they are REQUIRED?

Last edited:

lv2bmome

I just received a call back from Britax and the lady who called said the same thing as the OP. I am really confused as I have a seat manufactored in May of 2006. I really wonder if they ARE backtracking because they have had soooo many install complaints. I am really dissappointed that such a high end car seat company can't get there facts straight. I choose the Regent thinking it was going to be a safe seat and now I feel like I don't know which way to install it to get it the safest :confused: I want my seat to be "enhanced" as I assume "enhanced" means "made safer" but I was having problems installing it with the recline bar. What are others doing who have DOM prior to 06/18/06? I really expected more out of Britax :(

MsFacetious

I give up, they haven't called me back and I don't have the time or energy to deal with this anymore. I will continue to use the Regents the way I have been until the Recaro's come out. Then the Regents will go into my Dad's truck as spares. This means I won't be able to have seats for travel and will have to lug the Recaros but I guess that's just the way it is.

I'm frustrated with Britax... but relieved that they issue recalls or advisories before kids die. I'll take what I can get I guess.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Well Michelle called and left me a message when I was out about an hour ago. I have since called her back asking for a call back even though I feel I got a pretty good install pre the new manual on my 4/06 Regent. But, I hope to be able to get more information out of her for you ladies. I'll let you know when I hear back from her.

ukfan78

I am still trying to reach Michelle too. She was supposed to call me back on Friday and I have called 2 times today without speaking to her. This time a CLUELESS rep took my name and number and is supposed to give it to Michelle.

This is just crazy. I haven't been able to go ANYWHERE for a week because my seat won't install SBP (ds is right at 48lbs) and I can't get an answer about what to do. This clueless rep told me that "They were told this morning you can still use the install you did before if the new ENHANCEMENT didn't work in your vehicle."

So I asked her what changed from last week when several people told me I can no longer use the LBP with my seat and she just MUMBLED to herself and then said "Want me to take a message and try to get Michelle to call you?" WTF!!!

I am BEYOND angry! I am not upset about the "enhancement", but I am unhappy they won't go into further detail, they won't do anything for you if you seat no longer works, and now they are telling us just to ignore the new enhancement kit!?!? WHY did they do all this if it wasn't necessary?

I no longer trust this seat and will not be using it anymore. When and if Michelle calls me, if she can't do something for me, I will be selling my seat as soon as I receive my "enhancement kit" in the mail. I am just so upset about this.

Please keep us informed if you do get any more information from Michelle before I do and I will do the same.

Melissa

Connor's Mom

I just spoke with Britax rep Amber. She states that she had in hand an update to the advisory with todays date in her hand. She stated that this letter would be able to be found on the Britax website later today or tomorrow. It states that you may continue the use the previous install instructions (the ones in the old manual) with your Britax Regent manufactured prior to 6/18 if you choose as these install instructions are perfectly safe. It will be the parents choice as to use the new installs for the "enhancements" because the "new" and the "old" instructions both pass the national safety testing and are very safe. She said that it WILL NOT void your warranty if you choose to use the old install instructions and that the new statement will state this.

So we just need to watch the site and look for the letter.

On another note, the reason that I called them was that I have not even received my advisory letter issued last week. So, she looked up my registration on my seat and who ever had put the data in screwed up and had my state and zip code wrong. :mad: So, she changed it and hopefully I will be getting every thing in the mail.
I have a seat check this Friday and I was hoping to get the new manual in before then. I don't need the other stuff right now as DS is only 33lbs and I have the seat installed LBP, recline bar and tethered. I guess if I don't get the stuff before Friday I can just print out all the letters and the new install instructions off the Britax site and take it all with me. :rolleyes:
I still don't know at this point whether to leave the recline bar in. I liked the install with out it but I think I will wait and see what the tech says.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC