Dorel Harnesses STILL Slip?!?

NatesMamma

We purchased a new Complete Air for DS the other day as a secondary/travel seat. DOM is Aug 2011.

The very first day, when I was playing around with the seat in my car and trying to get the harness/headrest adjusted properly for DS, at one point I tightened the harness securely and then gave a little tug on it like always... And the entire thing slipped right through the harness adjuster and completely loosened! I snugged it up again, and this time it stayed tight. I was a little uneasy about the seat after that, but I chalked it up to some fluke, like the adjuster button caught on a bit of the seat cover or something.

Later, I moved the CA to DH's car. We were going out tonight, and when I was testing the harness to make sure it was snug on Kiddo, again, the entire thing pulled right through! I was able to tighten and loosen (w/o pushing the adjuster button) 3 more times like this. Usually, the harness initially stayed tight, but after a second little tug or if DS shifted in the seat, the whole thing loosened again.

How in the hell is this STILL happening with Dorel seats?!? I would've thought they had completely fixed the issue after the adjuster recall debacle last winter! Needless to say, the seat is going back to the store and I'm filing a complaint with the NHTSA.

Has anyone else had this problem with a new seat from DJG??

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
File your complaint with NHTSA before you take the seat back. They might want it. (Probably not, but you never know.) Call Dorel too. They might want it.

IIRC, the Complete Air was not involved in the slipping-harness recall.

NatesMamma

Even though the CA wasn't part of the front adjuster recall, I'm still surprised that I'm having this particular problem with a Dorel seat. I would've thought they'd take a good look at ALL the adjusters they're using to be sure they don't run into the same problem again. Of course, it's entirely possible that I just happen to have a faulty adjuster on *my* CA. So far, I haven't heard of anyone else having the harness slippage issue with this seat. I'm actually tempted to exchange my CA for another one in hopes that the replacement doesn't have this problem. I really like the seat otherwise and am digging the head wings in particular.

OTOH, it's tempting to return the CA and get a Radian XTSL. However, I don't like the Sunshine Kids/Diono brands any more than I like Dorel. They've both handled safety and customer service issues VERY poorly in the past, and I don't fully trust either of them. Plus, a search on the boards shows that some CS-O posters have had harness slipping problems with their Radians, too!? I really want a nice RF travel seat for my nearly 3 y.o., and I don't think we have any good options other than a CA or Radian now that he's outgrown the lightweight Evenflos and has nearly maxed out the Scenera? Bah.

Would the NHTSA compensate me for the seat? I really don't want to be out the $200ish I paid for the CA just a few days ago.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Before you do anything - take video! Seriously. This is your proof. Then call NHTSA and Dorel first thing on Monday morning. I know NHTSA will probably offer to reimburse you for the seat if they want it. Dorel will probably offer to send you a replacement although I'm sure they'd reimburse if you didn't want another CA.

The number to call for NHTSA is
Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236

I don't have Dorel's # off hand but it's on the label with the DOM and model number.

NatesMamma

I tried taking video tonight, but of course the seat wouldn't *cooperate* when I wanted it to. :rolleyes: (It also stayed tight in the car a few days ago for a quick drive around the neighborhood.) I tried with a teddy bear while the seat was still installed in the car, but the harness stayed tight. Then I tried with DS in the seat while he watched TV in our living room. Again, I couldn't reproduce the loosening that we had in the car, and after a few minutes, DS decided that he was "Done, Mommy!" I'll definitely try again tomorrow. I'll post the video here, too, if I happen to get it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes, if NHTSA wants your seat, they will reimburse you what you paid for it. (You can negotiate this with them before you send it in, if it works like it did when they searched for the Dorel seats last time.) Please try to get NHTSA or Dorel to replace it rather than taking it back - otherwise you are passing on the defect to another child, whose parents may not be so diligent.

tam_shops

So sorry, I can imagine how upset you must be and scared at the same time!

I've never heard/read/seen the RN having "harness slipping problems"? Just the Super Latch, which is easy to fix w/ a seat belt install for most people, just as unacceptable, but unlike this problem, easier to fix...Of course, I certainly may have missed RNs having harness problems, would be interested in hearing it, as if it's a defect, you never know when it'll affect your seat!

tam

NatesMamma

So, I tried a couple more times to get video but wasn't able to get the harness to slip when I wanted it to. :rolleyes: Figures!

At any rate, Dorel is taking the seat back. I must say, I was very happy with my call to customer service. Got a real person right away who was very helpful. I didn't have any problem getting them to agree to a cash refund instead of the replacement CA they originally offered. The seat's getting picked up on Fri.

I still like the CA overall, and DS says it's very comfy. I might wait a few months and pick up another one, hopefully one that has the dual level line. (I was installing at 30* but would rather go by the manual.) :eek:

I've never heard/read/seen the RN having "harness slipping problems"? Just the Super Latch, which is easy to fix w/ a seat belt install for most people, just as unacceptable, but unlike this problem, easier to fix...Of course, I certainly may have missed RNs having harness problems, would be interested in hearing it, as if it's a defect, you never know when it'll affect your seat!

This is the C-SO thread I found that talks about the Radian harness slipping. I actually found it by mistake when I was searching the boards to see if any other posters have had problems with new CAs.

NatesMamma

Can anyone help my find the CA on the NHTSA's online complaint form? I don't see it on the drop down menu, and I've searched under SAFETY 1ST, SAFETY FIRST, DOREL, and DJG. None of the codes seem to match the model number on my seat? (I've found the SE and LX versions listed, but I just have the plain old Complete Air 65.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC