Chest clip question

nosidammai

Why do US car seats have chest clips, but European ones don't?
Is it illegal to use a US car seat without the chest clip?
and
Does the harness tighten tighter without a chest clip?

Just curious! :D

ADS

gsdguenter

European seats have the requirement that you must be able to unbuckle the child with one hand in an emergency (or something to that effect) and that is why they don't have chest clips.

Chest clips in the US and Canada are pre-crash positioners. They don't actually hold the child in. I have a Swedish seat (no chest clip) and I can say the set up is very different than the US ones. The back of the harness straps are rubbery and there is a double kind of thing going on. Lol, hard to explain.

Some companies (SKJP, now Diono) have said it is okay to use their seats without chest clips when people have called and inquired because theirs broke and were awaiting a replacement. But, my advice will always be not to do it unless you know for sure from each specific manufacturer.

You need to decide what to do, but I'm not going to tell you as a tech, that you should go without a chest clip on a seat that has one and doesn't say you don't have to use it in the manual, kwim.

There are a few threads about this if you search "chest clip" or something :)

ETA: here is one thread:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=195143&highlight=chest+clip

luckyclov

The chest clip is a pre-crash positioner for the harness. In other words, it helps the harness stay in place on the shoulders before a crash. It's not entirely unheard of for chest/retainer clips to fracture or come apart in certain crashes, which is why it's so important to keep the chest clip positioned properly and the harness tightned properly.

If your U.S. harnessed child seat comes with a chest/retainer clip (and they all do), then, yes, you must use it in accordance to manufacturers' instructions. Many states have a proper use clause written into their general laws which require you to use your child seat as directed by the manufacturer. If you do not, yes, you are, technically, breaking the law.

European seats are not made with chest clips because, well, it's a pre-crash positioner and the harness does all the restraining work in a crash. I believe you also have to be able to un-fasten the harness with one hand. European harnesses tend to be made a little differently as well; most have some grippy stuff on the underside, the harness usually comes out narrower from the shell, or sometimes it's thinner in general. All of which contribute to optimal positioning, if used properly.

While importing a European child seat to the US is legal, *using* one in the US is not legal.

nosidammai

The chest clip is a pre-crash positioner for the harness. In other words, it helps the harness stay in place on the shoulders before a crash. It's not entirely unheard of for chest/retainer clips to fracture or come apart in certain crashes, which is why it's so important to keep the chest clip positioned properly and the harness tightned properly.

If your U.S. harnessed child seat comes with a chest/retainer clip (and they all do), then, yes, you must use it in accordance to manufacturers' instructions. Many states have a proper use clause written into their general laws which require you to use your child seat as directed by the manufacturer. If you do not, yes, you are, technically, breaking the law.

European seats are not made with chest clips because, well, it's a pre-crash positioner and the harness does all the restraining work in a crash. I believe you also have to be able to un-fasten the harness with one hand. European harnesses tend to be made a little differently as well; most have some grippy stuff on the underside. And the harness usually comes out narrower from the shell or sometimes is thinner. All of which contribute to better positioning, if used properly.

While importing a European child seat to the US is legal, using it in the US is not legal.

So are people breaking the law when I see them talking about importing Britax Multi Techs?

gsdguenter

So are people breaking the law when I see them talking about importing Britax Multi Techs?

Yes, I use an MT daily and am breaking the law. You can import it and not be breaking the law, but using it is considered breaking the law.

nosidammai

Is it expensive to import them?
Why'd you make the decision to import a foreign seat?
Sorry if I'm prying :p I'm just in a quizzical mood tonight

luckyclov

Talking about importing a Multi Tech is not illegal. The actual act of importing a Multi Tech (or TWE or DuoLogic or whatever child seat you import from whatever country that did not take part in and pass *our* federal standards testing/approvals) is not illegal. Installing a Multi Tech in your U.S. vehicle and restraining your child in it *is* illegal. Absolutely.

People do it. Many here do it. They want the seat just because or they've carefully weighed their situation's risks vs. benefits and made the decision based on X,Y,Z. Whatever the case is, yes, it's breaking the law.

The only reason I would import is if I had a child under the age of 2 that could no longer RF in any American child seats. Or if I had an older child with special (medical) circumstances who had outgrown all RF options here.

Importing a Multi Tech from Sweden usually runs in the (give or take) mid to upper $500 range. It may RF to 55 lbs, but it's FF harness capacity is only 40 lbs. And FF seatbelt weight limit is 50 or 55 lbs.

gsdguenter

Is it expensive to import them?
Why'd you make the decision to import a foreign seat?
Sorry if I'm prying :p I'm just in a quizzical mood tonight

I bought my MT from another member here used so I only paid half of what everyone else who buys it new pays. Yes, it is expensive to import - think $600ish.

I decided to purchase it because I wanted to be able to rf my children for as long as possible. I personally didn't want to buy a seat such as an XTSL that goes to 45 lbs. and then have my LOs outgrow it at age 3 and not want to turn ff and then go and buy an MT. I would rather spend the money upfront. Does that make sense? I know I'm not being very clear lol

I have no qualms about breaking the law myself, but I don't install foreign seats in other people's cars, nor do I recommend "regular" people go out and buy one. I don't let other people's kids ride in my MT when they are in my car either unless I have explained the whole situation to them ahead of time (my god daughter is the only only who has ridden in it besides my own two LOs)

I researched the seat, pros and cons, and decided it is what I wanted and it would work for my family.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC