Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Carseat Crazy

Diono Monterey vs. SK Monterey

I've tried to research some threads with no luck. I LOVE my SK monterey except for the belt guides. How do the new belt guides compare to the most recent Monterey's. I attached the link to the other thread I have to show the pic of what mine look like and they are causing me grief (constantly falling out and then the belt placement is bad). I worry too that in an accident my dd wouldn't have adequate protection because of how easily the belt falls out and that it won't fit appropriately in that case. Does anyone have a pic of the new belt guide? Does it have a big gap or is it tough to get the belt out? Need to know if the new one would be better for us.

Thanks!

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=204417

Amanda
    Mommy to:Grace, Kate, and Claire

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Uh... I think maybe that IS the new guide. The old guide is much more restrictive than that and I can't imagine the belt falling out of the guide.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Ya my Monterey was closed and u had to really push to get the belt in lol

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!
    *STACY* Mom to: Sage-9, Nevaeh-6.5, Junior-5, Nayeli-1.5

Re: Diono Monterey vs. SK Monterey

Yep agree with the PP our Monterey belt guides look NOTHNG like that.... in fact i had to move it two days ago and was just thinking, man i wish this was a little easier to get out It slides freely/nicely once in the slot but you have to work a little to get it in the guide. DH has the van w/ the kids or i would take a pic for you
    Maggie - Rollin' hard in my Swagger Wagon with my 3 lil' men all properly restrained

Carseat Crazy
    Hmmm...so does anyone have the diono booster to see if the belt guides look like mine or if they have been changed? Thx!

Amanda

If you google "Sunshine Kids Monterey" and then look click the images tab, there of a good pic of the old (closed-ish) belt guides. I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but it's on the second page of images on my phone (might be first on the computer.)
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Senior Community Member Brycen'sMommy's Avatar

We just got our new Diono Monterey yesterday. I thought the belt was pretty hard to get into the guide and I don't think it's going to fall out. Your guide seems really open compared to mine.

Sorry, it's not the best picture.

ETA: Well, I take that back. I just went out and played with it and every time I pulled the belt it would pop out of the guide. That is going to be very annoying. The belt is also bunched in the guide and hard to pull and it does not retract easily. I'm am very disappointed.
    Last edited by Brycen'sMommy; 12-03-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    B-9y Incognito, L-7y Harmony Transit
    M-5y Britax Parkway, E-2y Graco Size4Me
    A-9mo Graco Milestone, S-6mo Graco CC35, Baby Girl Due 6/16
    All riding safely in a 2016 Ford Transit Wagon

Sorry, double post and I can't figure out how to delete it.
    Last edited by Brycen'sMommy; 12-03-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: double post

Carseat Crazy
    Darn...I was hoping they improved it! I don't know what to do now.... Thank you so much for the pic. I had found a pic online somewhere of the older style belt guide and I would love to have that!

Amanda

Carseat Crazy
    Do you drive an odyssey too? Thoug about tying it in dh's accord bc the belts are so different.

Amanda

Carseat Crazy
    I can't figure out how to edit a post on my phone. Meant to add that mine bunches too.

Amanda

I drive a 2011 Odyssey. I'm going to move seats around tomorrow and try it in a captains chair and see if that makes a difference. If not, then we are going to have to return it. DS will be so sad because he loves his blue seat.

My SK Monteray guides are also very closed. Which made switching the seat in and out of cars a PITA! I don't have the issue anymore due to DD using it backless around town.

Canadian CPST, Mommy to ,
    E 12 5 Steps!
    N 7 Monteray, Prkway & Clek

I have a brand new Diono, and the seat belt falls out of the guides like crazy! Maggie (on here) has an older Parkway, and you really have to work at it to get hers out of the belt guide.
    Jeni- CPST and Mom to: Parker 6 Diono Mont. and Combi Hbb, Myles 3 Foonf and RXT. Day care provider to J, A, Z, Radians x 3!

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by jenfrogmom
    I have a brand new Diono, and the seat belt falls out of the guides like crazy! Maggie (on here) has an older Parkway, and you really have to work at it to get hers out of the belt guide.
    So are you comfortable using it still?

Amanda

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Wow, thanks for posting photos. My two Montereys have the more-closed guides that are really hard to get the belt in and out of. I couldn't imagine how people were having a problem with the belt falling out, but I do now!

As for whether to keep using the seat: How does the belt fit without the guide? Not all boosters require use of the guide, and sometimes the fit is actually better without. I don't know if SK/Diono has a stance on that.

Barring a prohibition from the company on skipping the guides, and as long as the belt still fits the kid properly, there shouldn't be a problem using the seat, since the belt will still be fine if it slips out.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be upset about a feature of my seat not working as it should, though. Anyone having problems with the belt slipping out should call Diono.

Also, if the guides are required or if bypassing the guides causes the belt to fit improperly, I would be calling NHTSA as well.

The Monterey was a pita in my odyssey too 3rd row, maybe the new one will be better if the guides are not needed

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!
    *STACY* Mom to: Sage-9, Nevaeh-6.5, Junior-5, Nayeli-1.5

I tried the Monterey in the captains chair of my Odyssey today and the belt is still slipping out and not any better than in the third row. When the belt is out of the guide, the fit is definitely not as good as when it's in the guide. I will try contacting Diono tomorrow to see what they say. I really don't want to have to return the seat because this booster is the only option that fits all of our requirements.

I am not sure what I am going to do, I might call and see what they say.
    Jeni- CPST and Mom to: Parker 6 Diono Mont. and Combi Hbb, Myles 3 Foonf and RXT. Day care provider to J, A, Z, Radians x 3!

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brycen'sMommy
    I tried the Monterey in the captains chair of my Odyssey today and the belt is still slipping out and not any better than in the third row. When the belt is out of the guide, the fit is definitely not as good as when it's in the guide. I will try contacting Diono tomorrow to see what they say. I really don't want to have to return the seat because this booster is the only option that fits all of our requirements.
    I agree. I don't like the fit when it falls out of the belt guide. I can't return my seat at this point. Need to try it in the accord but my back is killing me and I don't have it in me to move it right now....

Amanda