Diono Monterey vs. SK Monterey

carseatfreak

I've tried to research some threads with no luck. I LOVE my SK monterey except for the belt guides. How do the new belt guides compare to the most recent Monterey's. I attached the link to the other thread I have to show the pic of what mine look like and they are causing me grief (constantly falling out and then the belt placement is bad). I worry too that in an accident my dd wouldn't have adequate protection because of how easily the belt falls out and that it won't fit appropriately in that case. Does anyone have a pic of the new belt guide? Does it have a big gap or is it tough to get the belt out? Need to know if the new one would be better for us.

Thanks!

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=204417

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Uh... I think maybe that IS the new guide. The old guide is much more restrictive than that and I can't imagine the belt falling out of the guide.

lovemybabies924

Ya my Monterey was closed and u had to really push to get the belt in lol

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Mags462

Yep agree with the PP our Monterey belt guides look NOTHNG like that.... in fact i had to move it two days ago and was just thinking, man i wish this was a little easier to get out ;) It slides freely/nicely once in the slot but you have to work a little to get it in the guide. DH has the van w/ the kids or i would take a pic for you :eek:

carseatfreak

Hmmm...so does anyone have the diono booster to see if the belt guides look like mine or if they have been changed? Thx!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you google "Sunshine Kids Monterey" and then look click the images tab, there of a good pic of the old (closed-ish) belt guides. I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but it's on the second page of images on my phone (might be first on the computer.)

Brycen'sMommy

We just got our new Diono Monterey yesterday. I thought the belt was pretty hard to get into the guide and I don't think it's going to fall out. Your guide seems really open compared to mine.

18428867.jpg

Sorry, it's not the best picture.

ETA: Well, I take that back. I just went out and played with it and every time I pulled the belt it would pop out of the guide.:thumbsdown: That is going to be very annoying.:( The belt is also bunched in the guide and hard to pull and it does not retract easily. I'm am very disappointed.

Last edited:

carseatfreak

Darn...I was hoping they improved it! I don't know what to do now.... Thank you so much for the pic. I had found a pic online somewhere of the older style belt guide and I would love to have that!

Brycen'sMommy

I drive a 2011 Odyssey. I'm going to move seats around tomorrow and try it in a captains chair and see if that makes a difference. If not, then we are going to have to return it. DS will be so sad because he loves his blue seat. :(

bbartlettnfld

My SK Monteray guides are also very closed. Which made switching the seat in and out of cars a PITA! I don't have the issue anymore due to DD using it backless around town.

jenfrogmom

I have a brand new Diono, and the seat belt falls out of the guides like crazy! Maggie (on here) has an older Parkway, and you really have to work at it to get hers out of the belt guide.

carseatfreak

jenfrogmom said:
I have a brand new Diono, and the seat belt falls out of the guides like crazy! Maggie (on here) has an older Parkway, and you really have to work at it to get hers out of the belt guide.

So are you comfortable using it still?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, thanks for posting photos. My two Montereys have the more-closed guides that are really hard to get the belt in and out of. I couldn't imagine how people were having a problem with the belt falling out, but I do now!

As for whether to keep using the seat: How does the belt fit without the guide? Not all boosters require use of the guide, and sometimes the fit is actually better without. I don't know if SK/Diono has a stance on that.

Barring a prohibition from the company on skipping the guides, and as long as the belt still fits the kid properly, there shouldn't be a problem using the seat, since the belt will still be fine if it slips out.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be upset about a feature of my seat not working as it should, though. Anyone having problems with the belt slipping out should call Diono.

Also, if the guides are required or if bypassing the guides causes the belt to fit improperly, I would be calling NHTSA as well.

lovemybabies924

The Monterey was a pita in my odyssey too 3rd row, maybe the new one will be better if the guides are not needed

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Brycen'sMommy

I tried the Monterey in the captains chair of my Odyssey today and the belt is still slipping out and not any better than in the third row. When the belt is out of the guide, the fit is definitely not as good as when it's in the guide. I will try contacting Diono tomorrow to see what they say. I really don't want to have to return the seat because this booster is the only option that fits all of our requirements. :mad:

carseatfreak

Brycen'sMommy said:
I tried the Monterey in the captains chair of my Odyssey today and the belt is still slipping out and not any better than in the third row. When the belt is out of the guide, the fit is definitely not as good as when it's in the guide. I will try contacting Diono tomorrow to see what they say. I really don't want to have to return the seat because this booster is the only option that fits all of our requirements. :mad:

I agree. I don't like the fit when it falls out of the belt guide. I can't return my seat at this point. Need to try it in the accord but my back is killing me and I don't have it in me to move it right now....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC