Dd's class party trip!

christineka

Tomorrow my dd1's church class is meeting at the church to go play laser tag and maybe bowling. This would be at the bowling/laser tag place in town. Dd will be 12 in a few weeks. Most of the other kids have been 12 for 2-10 months. Dd turned 5 way back when state law required car seats until the 5th birthday. Her peers haven't sat in car/booster seats for at least 7 years. I don't want to embarrass her to death (except she won't be because she has social issues). Then again, we are going to move soon and so she won't see these kids again after this month. Should I go and see how she fits in a seatbelt without booster and let her go if it's close? Just let her ride without a booster and ingrain in her head that she needs a shoulder belt? Give her the booster? Insist on driving her myself? (Except I'm not invited to the fun center place and I don't have time to sit around outside waiting for her to be finished.) Or just not let her go?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Definitely let her go. Based on photos you've posted, there's a good chance she'll 5 step in some vehicles. She's super close in yours.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Check in the vehicle she'll ride in, and if she passes, let her go without. If she doesn't, she needs a booster. Safety isn't optional and a 12 year old not quite fitting isn't the same as a 20 year old not quite fitting.

CrazyBoysMamma

What about a Bubble Bum? She could pass it off as more of a comfort thing than a safety thing and that would (I think any way) make it less tease-worthy...

christineka

I was going to check dd's fit in just a seatbelt, but there were issues and dh took her in his car. I had her move her seat to dh's car. It was later that I realized dd probably went without a seat and maybe didn't fit because dh wouldn't have looked. (He rolled his eyes when I had dd put her seat in his car.) I didn't look for her seat in dh's car or ask, but dd was dropped off and brought her seat in the house when she came, so I think she did sit in it. Safety is so much easier when your kid has little social skills! She had fun at her party:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC