Votes: 9 47.4%
  • 2004 Sienna

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Neither - look at <blank> instead

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, we're looking at vans tomorrow afternoon. Has to be from a dealer (for financing). The Sedona is probably the highest we can go, price range-wise. The Sienna is *gulp* kiind of far for us to drive and see, but we will.

2009 Sedona

2004 Sienna

What else should I be looking at? Oddy is out (incompatible with Radians, right? I have at least 2 (one was in the crash, and I assume I'll be able to replace it)).

ETA: 2005 Sienna This one is AWD too.

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

Side torso and curtain airbags were optional on the 2004 Sienna, even for the front row. I don't see them listed in the ad, so if they are important to you then call and ask.

We just bought a 2006 Sienna (that's the year side airbags became standard) and I haven't had too much chance to play with it, but so far I really like it. Three across the third row is not impossible at all, and you don't have to have *just* the right combination of seats to do it. I threw a 3-across in there somewhat arbitrarily, but it worked on the first try. It was RF Avenue seatbelt driver's, RF MyRide center seatbelt, RF Radian passenger LATCH. The MR and RN bumped at the top but didn't do their usual super-puzzling with major overlap.

Does the Sedona have a shoulder belt for third row center? It probably does but I don't see one in the picture so it's worth checking. Also check how high the head restraints adjust. The Sienna's are tall enough for me in all eight positions.

Lemonade

As much as I LOVE my 06 Sienna, I'd say since the price difference isn't ginormous, go with the Kia because of the lower milage and likely more standard safety features. But I really don't know much about Kias.

Mags462

Do NOT get the 2005 AWD Sienna.... they have known issues. :)

That aside i would go Sienna over Kia any day. Its just a better vehicle IMO, and even with 82,000 miles its not a big deal. The Sienna and the Kia were driven roughly the same amount of miles per year (roughly 11K if you consider this year now 2012 for car buying purposes)..... which is average, so its just that the Sienna is older. But after trying a Kia it was quickly crossed of the list.

Make sure the Sienna has had the timing belt replaced - if it has not get the dealer to lower the price by at least 1K because it'll cost you about that depending on your area to do the change yourself within the next year b/c Toyota rec's it be done at 90K.

I have a 2005 Sienna XLE which i LOVE LOVE LOVE.... it has 97K miles on it and not one single problem. We bought it 3 years ago with 76K miles (so high mileage at the time, although our lack of driving has really evened it out LOL)..... the mileage never even made us pause. My parents have driven toyotas for years and had zero problems getting them past the 200K mark with no major problems before trading them in/selling them. :)

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I have a 09 Kia Sedona and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is a dream to install car seats in. It has side curtain air bags in all three rows that I'm thrilled about for my kiddos safety and the third row seats fold into the floor when you don't need them.

sirrahn

That aside i would go Sienna over Kia any day. Its just a better vehicle IMO, and even with 82,000 miles its not a big deal. The Sienna and the Kia were driven roughly the same amount of miles per year (roughly 11K if you consider this year now 2012 for car buying purposes)..... which is average, so its just that the Sienna is older. But after trying a Kia it was quickly crossed of the list.

I have to agree. my '04 Sienna just passed 100K and we have had no problems with it other than a glitchy stereo that I replaced and a few normal wear and tear type of things. We have taken good care of it, but I have 4 kids and I'm not overly strict about eating etc and even the inside still looks very nice. I have a friend who has an '07 Sedona. It was the top of the line model with leather and everything and it's already falling apart and is always in the shop for something or another.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Lol, I love how the poll is exactly split, because I feel the exact same way. I found a bunch of vans to check out this weekend. I found more Siennas to check out in the 05-07 range too, as well as a 2010 and a 2009 Sedona. I also came across a few 2010 T&CS that are in our price range (I think, since I don't actually know what our price range will be until we hear from the insurance adjuster).

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Side torso and curtain airbags were optional on the 2004 Sienna, even for the front row. I don't see them listed in the ad, so if they are important to you then call and ask.

We just bought a 2006 Sienna (that's the year side airbags became standard) and I haven't had too much chance to play with it, but so far I really like it. Three across the third row is not impossible at all, and you don't have to have *just* the right combination of seats to do it. I threw a 3-across in there somewhat arbitrarily, but it worked on the first try. It was RF Avenue seatbelt driver's, RF MyRide center seatbelt, RF Radian passenger LATCH. The MR and RN bumped at the top but didn't do their usual super-puzzling with major overlap.

Does the Sedona have a shoulder belt for third row center? It probably does but I don't see one in the picture so it's worth checking. Also check how high the head restraints adjust. The Sienna's are tall enough for me in all eight positions.

The 2004 Sienna linked is a Limited so it has the side curtain airbags. :thumbsup:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had a 2005 Sienna in 2005-2007. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. We might be moving in 2012 and need to replace our vehicles, and an older Sienna is on the list even though I drive a 2011 Ody now!

-N.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
honestly, they are both great vehicles. I love my sedona. Just know that KIA transfers the orignal manu. bumper to bumper warranty up to 60k miles, so on the sedona, you will actually get your first 6k miles under warranty. Depending on how much you drive, that is about 6 months of worry-free driving. :) The EX is Kias upscale version, and it has the power doors, which make me drool.

agave

I just got a 2006 KIA and so far I'm very happy. I could not have gotten what I wanted in a Honda or Toyota in my budget.

geekKT

I think either is a good choice. We have an 06 Sedona EX (and yeah, the power everything is awesome though it does mean there's more electrical stuff to break, said from experience, though it was minor :p) but I think a Sienna is a good choice as well. I guess I'd probably tip toward the Sedona just slightly, and voted as such, because of the age and less mileage, but they both seem reasonable. Lots of help, aren't I?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC