Question Transporting puppies

Dorothy

I've read all the threads about the Petbuckle and Bergan, but I need an alternative, plz. I am transporting two puppies over Christmas. They are about 8# each. I have a Sport Pet pop-up kennel I could buckle the seatbelt through. I doubt that system is crash-tested, tho. Any other suggestions? TIA

Sent from my phone using the app :)

ADS

tam_shops

Curious too.

How times have changed for pets too. Love that they have seat belts now too.

I always put my cats in their Kennel and then buckled it through the top. Then, backed the front seat up into the cage.

The funny part is that all of my cats (3 over the years) always turned themselves backwards in the cage, so their butt (not head) would hit the front of the cage if I slammed on my brakes and/or were in an accident.

My cats are smarter than some people! ROFL I know it's probably some sort of instinct thing...

tam

Dorothy

wendytthomas said:
I'd put them in cat crates and put them in the footwells.

http://wachusett.pssweb.net/Test%20report%20pets%20in%20cars-1.pdf

Here is a video (unless you speak German you can mute it).

I used to belt my crates in, but now I have soft sided crates and my cats ride in the footwells only.

Wendy

Thx! Out of the following three locations, which would you choose?

Back psgr- Under a rfing MR
Back drvr- Adjacent to a ffing TF
Front psgr- At an adult psgr's feet

ETA- Above locations referring to footwells. :)

Thanks, again!

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Any and all (I have three cats). I sometimes put my cats under Laine's rear facing True Fit. Other times they're in the passenger footwell if I want to keep a vague eye on them. I find them quieter if they're under Laine's seat. Further from me and they can't see out much at all.

Wendy

Dorothy

wendytthomas said:
Any and all (I have three cats). I sometimes put my cats under Laine's rear facing True Fit. Other times they're in the passenger footwell if I want to keep a vague eye on them. I find them quieter if they're under Laine's seat. Further from me and they can't see out much at all.

Wendy

Great! Thanks so much. :) Off to find two soft carriers...

I bookmarked that test series. The visuals are fantastic!

tam_shops

Wow, who knew I was being *smart* rather than over protective when I pushed the front seat all the way back against the cat cage. And, it never occurred to me the impact would just tear the plastic on the cage apart, one more reason it was great to put the seat against it, but I was thinking more that I didn't want that cage flying into the front seat and hitting something. Of course, figured it'd minimize the impact on the cat too! LOL

Though, not sure if I just never tried the floor, it didn't fit or I thought it'd be safer buckled in.

I have a few friends w/ dogs that will be interested in the link, thanks!

tam

bubbaray

Another vote for using a small crate and putting it in the footwell. My second choice for an SUV would be in the cargo area, braced against the 2nd row, using tiedowns. I would not belt a crate into the seat area.

ETA: saw your 2nd post. I would put it on the floor under the RFg seat, 2nd choice on the floor under the adults feet. I would not put it on the seat.

I would (and do) use a plastic FAA approved carrier. I have also used a wire mesh crate, braced in the cargo area (because that is what fit in my old van).

gigi

When my whole family travels (2 adults, 1 FF kid, 1 RF kid, 2 10-15 lb dogs) and a SUV trunk full of stuff, I put one soft carrier in the footwell under the RF seat and the other buckled on the rear seat behind the driver. The carrier is a sherpa bag and it has a horizontal slot-type handle I put the seat belt through. I hope the stitching would hold in a crash. I'm not sure it protects my dog perfectly, but at least hopefully it will prevent the carrier from injuring my FF son who sits next to it.

For short trips (1 mile on city streets going slowly) to/from school drop off, i put both dogs in the front passenger foot well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC