SK Radian XTSL vs Diono Radian R120?

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
We have a 2010 Prius. Kids are Kira (6 yrs, ~53 lbs), Leah (4 yrs, ~35 lbs), and Jenna (17m, ~24 lbs).

My question is: Does the Diono Radian R120 offer more room in the shoulders than the SK Radian XTSL and are they the same width on the outside (even a fraction of an inch can throw off my 3 across)?

I have 3 SK Radian XTSL and a Britax Parkway SG. Jenna will be in a RF XTSL with the angle adjuster and Leah will be a FF XTSL. That leaves either the Britax booster for Kira or the other XTSL. I prefer to keep her harnessed, but I'm not completely opposed to a booster. The booster is a pain to buckle with the tight fit and Kira still falls asleep in the car. She has this weird way of angling her head and neck when she's sleeping in the booster that looks both uncomfortable and unsafe. But she seems squished and uncomfortable in the Radian (at the shoulders).

I thought I had heard that the new Diono Radians offer more interior room, but I can't find where I read that now. I have no problems buying a new Radian and trying to sell the old one, but I don't want to waste my money if it won't give her any more room.

ADS

amyd

I believe the extra room in the Diono seats is hip room. The sides rotate out slightly to accommodate a larger child. A seat like the R100 or R120 that lacks the headwings might give a bit more shoulder room than the XTSL though.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Does anyone have an R120 that could measure the width at the top harness slot and at the slot below?

And do the Diono Radians still have the exception about the shoulders being allowed to go over the top harness slot as long as the ears are below the top of the shell?

mommy2girls

I will have a R120 here soon & will measure for you. I was the lucky winner of one through the Diono giveaway. It is shipping out today or tomorrow. I'll measure & get back to you as soon as it arrives.

pfb

And do the Diono Radians still have the exception about the shoulders being allowed to go over the top harness slot as long as the ears are below the top of the shell?

The R120 manual, pages 35-36, confirms that the exception you ask about still applies.

Harness Height (page 35)
Note: When using uppermost harness position, level of
child’s shoulders can be above harness slot as long as child
is proper height (see page 36).

Maximum Height (page 36)
Forward-facing child is too tall for restraint if tops of the ears are
above the back of the restraint or if child is more than 57" tall (144 cm).

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Thank you!!

I measured the XTSL at the same location and it's about 11.5. So I think that I'm going to order the R120 for her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC