Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Anyone got lots of balance bike experience?

I'm getting the kids balance bikes for Christmas. I know I want to get a Strider for DS, since they fit smaller kids better. I got a Skuut for DD on Cyber Monday, and now I'm kindof regretting it, and wondering if I should return it and just get her a Strider too.

Anyone have experience with both?
    Anna- Mommy to
    Hayden 3.5, 34 lbs, ERF in a XTSL
    Tristan 21mo, 25 lbs, RF in a pink! BLVD

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Anyone got lots of balance bike experience?

I've only had the Stridor, and I can tell you, it is so light. Easy for them to pick up and move around. We were going to take the pedals off his Trek bike and it was too heavy for him to manage it once we took off the training wheels.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

I haven't used or seen a strider, but they look nice.

Anne from this board has a mini glider and I really like it. It would be my first choice if it was cheaper because I really like the pegs for the feet to rest on.

I made a balance bike for my girls out of a tiny 10 inch bike (cut off the pedals).

I want to buy a balance bike for my ds but I don't want to spend a ton so it will either be the wee rider for $25 at Walmart or the Chicco or Radio Flyer ones (also from Walmart) for around $50.
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

I too just took the chain, spokes, and pedals off. It was pretty simple to do. Unscrew 2 screws for the chain and spokes and hammered out 2 small pins holding the pedals in. A bit of leverage with the screw driver and it was done.
    Car seat tech since 2003 and Stay at home mom to Emily (8/31/01) and Abigail (6/28/06)

Overstock.com has had the striders on sale since Monday for $69.99 but it looks like they only have pink left.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...9/product.html

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

I recommend the PV Mini Glider. In all of the many hours of researching balance bikes I found many people commenting on the lower quality of the Strider's. So we went with the PV Mini Glider and PV Glider and were thrilled with them.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Sale is still going on at Overstock.com on the Striders and they just restocked and now all colors except yellow are available.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...9/product.html

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

I did tons of research before I bought balance bikes for my kids. The PV Glider (16" model) is by far the better made, and designed, of the two I purchased. It made me wish that I had bought the PV Mini Glider (12" version) for my ds. The seat goes lower, on the Glider, than their specs say...just take the little plastic stopper out of the bottom of the seat tube, and it will go much lower.

The bike I bought my ds was the Kazam bike. The company has done a redesign since I purchased his bike, which actually solved a lot of the complaints I had about the bike.
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"