Thoughts on donating expired seat to family center?

InTheWoods

What are your thoughts on donating an expired infant seat w/ base to a family resource center who will then give the seat to a family in need? The family resource center's policy is to accept car seats that are up to 10 years old.

I suspect that a friend, to whom I gave my infant seat for her DS's use, donated it after her DS had outgrown it, which would have been right around the seat's expiration date. She is suggesting another friend donate her expired car seat to the same center, while a third mom is requesting the seat for her new baby due the month in which that seat expires. (Is all that clear? :rolleyes:)

I'm just a little amazed and ticked off. What's the point of an expiration date if people feel compelled to disregard it? I mean, don't they realize it's there for a reason?

Kristin

ADS

Wineaux

Would you feel good about donating milk that was past its expiration date? Or how about expired fresh chicken? Those are the questions I would be asking my friends/relatives who think donating an expired seat is OK. I'd also bring in a stack of reading material for the resource center's director about car seat expiration dates and the dangers involved. I'd probably also stick a copy of the Britax expired seat crash test video on a CD-ROM as well so they can actually SEE why an expired seat is so dangerous.

InTheWoods

I found this article on www.epinions.com a while back and really like it. It also has a link to the Britax expired seat video as well.

http://www.epinions.com/content_4753956996

That first link had me wondering why you gave me a link to a self-cleaning cat litter box that looked like a toilet. LOL! (Only got a two-star view, BTW. :D )

Thanks for the (second) link. I'm going to forward this on to our playgroup's listserv, along with the Britax crash-test mpeg, where the moms and the rest of the parents can read and see it.

Kristin

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We destroyed our OHS (overhead shield) seat that had not expired. Some folks on here said to donate it. But I didn't feel comfortable doing that. So we have vowed to donate a Scenera in its place. Haven't done it yet, but thanks for the reminder...!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC