Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Britax fabric

Britax fabric

I'm trying to decide which FR85 and BLVD fabrics to order. I called Britax, but they confused me more. I would like to get them with a poly/cotton blend that is more plush feeling (would really prefer 100% cotton). The Britax rep told me some were poly/cotton then later said all poly and I'm unsure now than I was before calling. Unfortunately, she said the fabric contents aren't located anywhere online. I also wish they gave a description or something more than just a picture, especially since my BRU doesn't have much in store.

Also I saw something about the amount of flame retardants used on the fabrics. Is there any correlation between an increased use on the ones that do contain natural fibers (cotton)? Should I be concerned about this (we are super crunchy but at the same time, I want a really high quality, safe seat)

The FR85 Onyx and Rushmore are on sale. Based on previous posts, it looks like everyone prefers the Onyx, but I'm not sure exactly why? My DD really wants the Livia. Anyone have thoughts about that? Does the quilting get uncomfortable after sitting there for a long period of time (esp wearing shorts or skirt)?

The BLVD is on sale in Sterling-what is that one like?

Thanks again!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    Onxy and livia are the same slick material. It's like a wind breaker jacket. And its not really quilted. It's just a design on the fabric. Dd has had one since summer and wore shorts and even her swimming suit in it with no issues. She did say her back god sweaty but that also happened with the plush cow cover.

Re: Britax fabric

I LOVE the Livia. If I really needed mine, I'd be keeping it. It's super comfy and the kid I had try it out loved it. The quilt stitching isn't raised or anything, so I doubt it would stick in the summer (but it's winter, so I don't actually know that for sure.)
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

Sorry I posted in the wrong area!

So is the cowmooflage the only "plush"? We have that in the MA so was kind of hoping for something different in the FR85 and BLVD.

Anyone have experience with the Sterling BLVD? What is it like?

As of now, Cowmoo is the only "plushy" cover. It's lovely.

Onyx and Livia are "slicky" and Maui Blue *looks* meshy, but it's not...it's just regular 'ol fabric (cotton-y?).

The rest of the covers are meshy.

ETA: I'm only referring to FR85 covers.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

I saw the thing about the chemicals in the carseats. We try not to use anything unnatural in our house. I know this is not possible, but I'm concerned because the Onyx got high ratings. Do you think the Livia is also high since it is the same type of fabric? They didn't test Livia. Did the Livia's that you guys got stink out of the box?

Looks like Cowmoos were medium.

Thanks for the link! I did see that, just was hoping to minimize chemicals wherever possible. We're pretty big freaks about it due to some health issues in our house. Good info though about putting in sun and potentially washing. I've never washed a cover (sad to admit but I'm too scared of screwing it up or having trouble getting it back on properly). Is it difficult and any warnings?

Quote Originally Posted by clov878 View Post
    As of now, Cowmoo is the only "plushy" cover. It's lovely.

Onyx and Livia are "slicky" and Maui Blue *looks* meshy, but it's not...it's just regular 'ol fabric (cotton-y?).

The rest of the covers are meshy.

ETA: I'm only referring to FR85 covers.
    I don't consider the Maui Blue cotton like. To me, it was more like scratchy polyester, which is why I sold it and bought a Cowmoo cover. I wish Britax would come out with some more plush covers (Kathryn was nice too, when I had an Advocate) or some that are more cotton like.

I don't think I have ever seen Sterling, so I can't tell you what that one is like.

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

11. Thank You from:

Re: Britax fabric-Sterling, anyone?

So I pulled the trigger and ordered one Cowmoo and one Livia (DH was really against Livia). I personally think the Cowmoo seems better comfort-wise, but my 4 yr old really wanted the pink.

Now I need to decide on the Sterling BLVD. Has anyone seen it? What's it like?

CPS Fanatic

The cowmoo FR85 is really nice. Both my girls like it. I was not crazy about the looks of it and wished they made another plush cover, but it does feel really nice. Sorry, but I don't know about the sterling BLVD. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

14. Thank You from:

Don't know about the Sterling cover but the Paisley one reminds me of denim.
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by macmomma
    Don't know about the Sterling cover but the Paisley one reminds me of denim.
    Yes, the Paisley fabric is super nice.