Low-Profile Combination Seat???

I'm looking to replace our MyRide65 as the buckle is defective and Graco is sending me a refund check. (YAY!! CarSeat Shopping!!! LOL)

Our current vehicle is a 2001 Ford E350. No headrests on benches. Yes, I know, many of you are gasping. It is what it is, and I LOVE it. So we try for good seats for the kiddos. I'm looking for a new seat for the 22mo old, 25lb foster kiddo. I loved that the MyRide didn't come near the seat back of the seat in front of it ... My Radian does and I deemed it unsafe (for the person in front of the radian). It was kind of a pain that the MyRide was so wide, though. My other daughter is currently in a FPSV booster b/c I couldn't get the Frontier, the MyRide and her Recaro ProBooster to fit 3-across on the middle bench.

My budget is approx $149 (what Graco is sending me) and I was looking at
First Years True Fit (sounds like it's also wide)
Safety 1st Complete Air (overbudget)
Evenflow Momentum or Symphony (low harness height, but same as MyRide)
Britax Roundabout (weird height differences between 40/50/55???)

I always scoffed at the Roundabout b/c of how short it is, but maybe in this situation, it would be a good fit? What about other low-profile seats? (That are "nice" ... I know a Scenera would fit, but since I have a bit more to spend, I'd like to get something "nicer" ... )

Here's my other seats...
Radian 65
FPSVD
2 Maestros
Frontier
Monterey
B510
FPSV Booster
ProBooster

I currently have these kids (we do foster care, only the 22mo old is foster right now, others are bio)

**10yo in Monterey ... wherever he wants (with shoulder belt)
**8yo in FPSV Booster (she wants to be in her ProBooster) Rt outboard middle bench
**6 1/2 yo in Frontier (she keeps asking about being in a booster) lt outboard middle bench
**4yo in a Maestro (also asking about a booster. isn't gonna happen) center, front bench (due to carsick issues. he can't be anywhere else. trust me. :eek:)
**22mo RF in MyRide or FPSVD center, middle bench.

Seat positions could possible move a bit, but if I put an RF seat in the front bench it either hits the drivers seat or makes it nearly impossible for anyone else to get in their seats in any other position. I've pondered turning her FF, but she's only 22 mos/25lbs and I think I'd rather her continue to RF for another 6-8mos minimum. (My girls Rf'd to 3 1/2 years and the 4yo to 3ish)

I *could* just get a $10 Angle Adjuster from Diono and maybe that would help the Radian fit better in the van? It's not like I *need* more seats. But who would turn down the chance to shop for a new one???? :D (I just gave a friend my other Radian65 and my scenera this last weekend. Seat abundance is a wonderful thing...)

Oh. And. I just saw that the XLT comes in purple. Ran that by hubby. Can we say "shot down!"?? LOL. But it's purple. I need it. I'm sure of it! :D

Last edited:
ADS

Keeanh

The 50/55 Roundabouts are way bigger than the old 40. I almost bought an Onyx 55 just because it matches all my other seats... but then talked myself out of it. I'm sure it would fit nicely. I love how the My Ride fits in the big van (I have a Chevy Express). The True Fit also fit rear-facing. The Complete Air with the base does NOT fit RF in my van. No way, no how does it fit front-to-back. I don't know if the regular CA would fit.

Only 25lbs at almost 2 years? She'd almost certainly fit in a Scenera. That would leave you some money left over from your refund.

No-one will gasp about a lack of headrests in a 12-15p. The only big vans with headrests are the Sprinter & the brand new Nissan. Take a look at this thread if you're interested in retrofitting headrests: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=199245

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Radian and the passenger in front as long as the one in front had a high-back booster or a headrest.

OT, but does a 10yo really fit in a Maestro? Wow! That's a short torso!

judy, I'm thinking convertible ... but hey, I have car seat cash, so I'm open to any ideas :D

Keanh ... some of the vans we looked at had headrests on both outboard positions of all benches. Ours doesn't have any headrests in any positions, thus the booster even for my 10yo. It does fit him, with an inch or two to spare. His response is "Barely!" ... although I'm certain he just wants to be done with being in a booster ... because he's 10 ... and too cool for one ;)

I will check out the headrest retrofit thread because that is one my biggest issues with our van, or any big van ... AND thank you SO much for responding and sharing what fits in your van ... SUPER helpful!

Keannh!!!! I just re-read my post!!! NO! LOL! He fits in a Monterey, though!!! :p

And I *could* get a Scenera ... but since I have a little more to spend, I'd love to get a "nicer" seat ... :)

Last edited:
I ordered the angle adjuster for my Radian. I think I will skip the Boulevard because (if I remember right) it's similar to my FPSVD, so I kind of have one of those. So I might look at the true fit because to be honest I just can't pass up the chance to check out/have a car seat I don't already have. Of course, I will probably change my mind ten times before I actually order one ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC