asked bRU about regent today

sb518

I wanted to see if they would bring me one out of the back just to see if I could get it installed in my car with the recline bar and SBP before I order one, she said they had already shipped them all back and that britax is DISCONTINUING THE REGENT ALTOGETHER!!! Not sure if I beleive her but I asked if they decided not to discontinue when they would get the next batch in and she said usually it takes a few months. Grah.

I'm assuming a whole new design and seat will take quite a while before we are able to purchase it so I guess my only options are the booster, radian and apex, but I hate them all :mad: :mad: :mad:

DN #1 only has a 14 inch torso but is going to hit the 40lb mark in a few pounds, I hate putting her in a booster seat when she still has 2 inches of growing room in her chase booster with the 5 pt harness! Luckily I just bought a marathon and she'll be able to use that, she just hates it and says it looks like a baby seat. :confused:

Also her mom doesn't have money for a marathon so will have no choice but to put her in a booster seat. I don't have the money to buy one for her or I would in a heartbeat! Also I guess if you can't use the apex without a headrest that's out of the question, so booster or radian and neither my sister or I have money for one. *sigh*

ADS

ThreeBeans

Hollleeeee smokes.

You know, it really irritates me that they tell the stores stuff like this, or they drop hints with a few random people, so that it leaks out, but then take FOREVER to actually inform people.

Dammit, why don't they just put an advisory on their website straight up if something major (like the Regent being discontinued!!!) is going to happen. ??

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, now I'm really freaking out.

See, the first wave of panic sort of washed over me, because I didn't feel like it affected me, and now this...

UGH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

all together ooky

Hmmm...BRU says things sometimes that aren't correct. Like things are being discontinued but it's really BRU discontinuing carrying the product.

I'll wait to panic until we hear it from a more reliable source than BRU.

ZephyrBlue

I talked w/a manager at our local BRU this evening- they had to send all of their Regents back to the factory and will be getting more in, ETA is about 1 month. I asked him if the display model is still there- he said it's in the back and when I asked, he was happy to let me come in and try it in my vehicle. I'm going tomorrow. I think they need to better educate the BRU employees nationwide :rolleyes:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmmm...BRU says things sometimes that aren't correct. Like things are being discontinued but it's really BRU discontinuing carrying the product.

I'll wait to panic until we hear it from a more reliable source than BRU.

:yeahthat:

There are a couple of knowledgeable and reliable techs who participate on the board here who work at BRU. I honestly think they would have already posted about the so-called Regent discontinuation if there was any truth to it at all. :) I think the BRU employee the OP talked to was confused about the Britax consumer advisory, which is likely the only reason the seats are currently off the shelves, and not a permanent situation. :twocents:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I went to BRU and to BuyBuyBaby earlier in the week to try the SBP in both of our vehicles. They had them in the back but were happy to let me just "try" it in my vehicles. I then contacted our BRU earlier today to ask when they were getting their repair kit. They said that they had no idea but that no BRUs would be allowed to sell a Regent until all BRUs had their repair kits. But they didn't mention "discontinued" and just said they were all sitting in the back, waiting for repair kits...

Wineaux

I was just at our local BRU, and they had both a clearanced MA and Regent for sale - the floor models. I was pushing the stroller and the car seat isle was a madhouse so I didn't do my usual perusal of the seats they had in stock.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't believe that's true -- the Britax rep at my regional NHTSA conference said they're coming out with new Regent covers soon....
:scratcheshead:

sb518

Yeah, not sure how much the BRU employee really knows, but I hope they aren't discontinuing them, that really narrows my options!! They also had taken the bouelvard off the shelf and I asked if they were recalling that too! She said no, that they are just discontinuing the cover of the one they had so they are waiting for a new one, so I was glad!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Well, I just got back from my local BRU, and I talked to the store manager (Cindy). She would not, under any circumstances, let me use the floor model (that was in the backroom) to try an install. She said that they were "packed up, where no one could get to them :)rolleyes: ), waiting on the retrofit kits. I told her I knew all about the retrofit kit, and I didn't need the longer LATCH strap, as I was doing a seatbelt install, no go. :mad:

I'll go back when my supervisor friend (the one who showed me the memo from Britax) is there, and on a weekday morning when hopefully it won't be a mad house. I'm just a little peeved that I drove out there for nothing :(

The more I think about it, the more I want to just order one from somewhere, and just hope that return shipping isn't terrible. argh

Britax is requesting that all dealers send in the serial numbers for each seat still in stock. Once the serial number is sent in, Britax will send out a Retro Fit kit for each seat to be included or added by the retailer. This is likely why BRU is not allowing anyone to buy the seat. Once the serial number is sent in, Britax will likely not send out another Retro Fit Kit for that seat. The customer would be unable to obtain the kit for that particular seat and could become upset at the retailer for selling it.

All of our Regents are now back in the warehouse waiting for Retro Fit kits. Thus, we can't sell them until the kit arrives, unless the customer is willing to come back at a later time when the kit is received to pick it up.

supercrunch

When I worked at BRU in college...whenever there was a recall, they would stack all of the affected products on pallets (including the floor samples) and wrap them in giant cling wrap so that none of them would mistakenly be put back out on the floor.

I am guessing that is probably what they meant when they said that they were "packed up"

Morganthe

The more I think about it, the more I want to just order one from somewhere, and just hope that return shipping isn't terrible. argh

Hmm, that's interesting, I just went to see if Target has any specials on shipping and they now have the Madison Regent in stock to ship in 1-2 days.

No free shipping, but....

$5 Off $50+ Purchase
Use this coupon code to save $5 off of a $50 or more purchase. Target has a little bit of everything for everyone in your family. Coupon does not apply to personalized gifts, Peg Perego, Bose, Tivoli and Sennheiser electronics or Amazon.com product purchases.
Target Coupon: TCMXC52D - Expires: 7/21/2007
under the 'every little bit helps' plan.
If you purchase through Target.com and it doesn't work, you can return the seat to any Target store. It's even easier to return if you go back to the website and notify them that you're returning it. Just print out the bar code and the CS at the store is VERY GRATEFUL :) Automatically credits back to your purchasing method.

The other way to order is through Elite carseats.com. They have free shipping and for several dollars more, you can have Return insurance. No sales tax either.
So you're covered either way. BUT, last I knew, they were still estimating Madison to arrive late July.

If you're looking for another cover, I think some were in stock.
HTH :D

waterbaby

I don't believe that's true -- the Britax rep at my regional NHTSA conference said they're coming out with new Regent covers soon....
:scratcheshead:

I was told the same thing. They are waiting for approval on some better quality fabrics (they weren't okay with some of the previous ones), but they are coming!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

:yeahthat:

I have had people at BRU tell me some very strange things.

The most recent news from my BRU is that BRU is not planning on carrying any new seats between June and December. What they have in the store is all they are getting until 2008. I asked, "Do you mean model-wise? Or do you mean you physically will not get any more seats until 2008?" The guy said, "We won't get any more seats until 2008 unless we sell everything in the store." :confused:

A few weeks ago, a guy at a DIFFERENT BRU told me that Britax is such a poor seller due to being overpriced that the United States will no longer be shipping them over from Germany. I said, "You are aware that the seats sold in the U.S. are from North Carolina, right? You are aware that, while Britax/Romer seats are sold in Germany, the company is not German, right? You are aware that Britax seats are huge sellers in the U.S., right?" The guy shrugged his shoulders and said, "They don't sell well here. And they are German." :confused:

I have had other BRU employees, though, who have been WONDERFUL and have been very knowledgeable about the seats, the laws, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC