Is this seat okay to use?

karina250

I called Graco because the plastic on the buckles that go into the crotch buckle on our MyRide is cracking. I was told that they did not think it was a safety concern but couldnt say for sure and that I needed to use my best judgement on wether or not I used the seat. I asked about purchasing a new piece to replace them but was told that piece was not replaceable. Since my seat is out of its 1 year warrently they wont do anything about it. My seat is only 2 years old so it still has plenty of use left. Would you continue to use the seat?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Re: Seat Advice WWYD?

I called Graco because the plastic on the buckles that go into the crotch buckle on our MyRide is cracking. I was told that they did not think it was a safety concern but couldnt say for sure and that I needed to use my best judgement on wether or not I used the seat. I asked about purchasing a new piece to replace them but was told that piece was not replaceable. Since my seat is out of its 1 year warrently they wont do anything about it. My seat is only 2 years old so it still has plenty of use left. Would you continue to use the seat?

Did they ask for pics? And are you saying it's the plastic on the buckle tongues? Not on the buckle itself? I'm wondering why those aren't replaceable...I swear I've slid mine off the harness straps before but I don't the My Rides anymore to check.

karina250

Did they ask for pics? And are you saying it's the plastic on the buckle tongues? Not on the buckle itself? I'm wondering why those aren't replaceable...I swear I've slid mine off the harness straps before but I don't the My Rides anymore to check.

They did not ask for pictures. Yes, its the plastic on the buckle tongues.

Brianna

I've removed the buckle tongues from the MR before. If you go to gracobaby.com and enter your model number & serial number, will they let you order replacements there?

If not, I would post an ISO in swap looking for MR buckle tongues from an unoccupied crashed seat. As long as they're from the same style buckle (old vs. new) it seems like it should work.

karina250

I've removed the buckle tongues from the MR before. If you go to gracobaby.com and enter your model number & serial number, will they let you order replacements there?

If not, I would post an ISO in swap looking for MR buckle tongues from an unoccupied crashed seat. As long as they're from the same style buckle (old vs. new) it seems like it should work.

Thanks I'll try ordering them from their website. I didnt think of that.

Also swap is a good idea but I dont have the ability to post in there.

ETA: I am not able to order it form their website. The only parts available are Retainer clip, Instruction booklet, Rear harness cover, Plastic button to attach styrofoam, Metal locking clip, Fabric kit, or EPS head foam. :(

Reactions: nmb

Brianna

I'm pretty sure you can purchase a subscription for a few dollars to post in swap.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well, I would think that the plastic is really just for cosmetic purposes and ease of use, since it makes the metal piece bulkier and easy to hold in the hand. BUT, I'm not the engineer of the seat so could never say 100% for sure, and I'm kind of confused that they told you to make a judgement call. I would think they should have asked for pics and passed it onto their engineers for a definitive call.

ETA: I already went to their web site and entered a My Ride model # and replacement tongues did NOT come up as a replacement part. But check with your model number and DOM as well in case it's different for some reason. I used the model # for Sonata and a DOM of 2010/10/15.

karina250

I called back and talked to another rep and she didnt think I should use the seat. So she offered me a mail in rebate toward a new graco seat. $20 if the seat is under $100 and $40 of the seat is over $100.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Can you post pics here? Do you have the old or new style buckles? I've got some old style I'd send you for free.

lovemybabybug

karina250 said:

That happened to my SR32 but the plastic actually broke off. In my opinion it is a a safety concern. My finger had a nice cut from the sharp edge it left. They did replace the parts for me though. It was only one that cracked, and they sent me a whole new harness set. I think it's so dumb that they made the harness system on the MR not removable (although he buckle tongues come off). Now eveytime someone has an issue with the harness system they have to replace the whole seat. My adjusting strap had some fraying and they replaced the whole seat, that sure can't be good money wise. I have one buckle tongue left as only one of mine broke. If you have the old style buckle you can have it.

lovemybabybug

I am also surprised that Graco isn't really helping you out more, they are usually so good with their CS. Maybe someone with another Graco seat with the same buckle style could use their info to buy you the parts? Not sure if that's ok, but I am assuming all the parts are pretty much standard in their seats?

Pixels

Does your seat have the old style buckle (release button pushes down, not in) or the new style (release button pushes in like pretty much every other seat on the market)? If yours is the old style, they don't have any old style buckles any more. And I don't think the crotch strap is removable, so they can't just replace the entire assembly for you, either.

If you have a new style, then I don't know what their problem is, unless maybe there's a communication error.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
lovemybabybug said:
I am also surprised that Graco isn't really helping you out more, they are usually so good with their CS. Maybe someone with another Graco seat with the same buckle style could use their info to buy you the parts? Not sure if that's ok, but I am assuming all the parts are pretty much standard in their seats?

It's not that they won't let her purchase parts. They said the parts aren't available.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

karina250

I have the old style. Thanks for all your help. I ended up buying a new MR. I wasn't sure I wanted another Graco seat considering everything, but I love that seat so much. Used it for DS and now for DD.

ETA: I made sure I got one with the new style buckle just incase. lol

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Target has the MR online for $110 I believe, so $70 with the rebate. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC