With duct tape and hammer, Britax can kiss ***

Morganthe

The GORGEOUS Madison arrived yesterday. I didn't get home until later and with stitches in my backside again, I wasn't going to wrestle the Beast.

So this morning, here I am, muttering, cursing, and trying not to damage the pretty cover. (BTW, it's more of a flannel than a Cotton/Poly blend). I have the old manual with the seat, but the recline bar says "MUST BE INSTALLED"... so it's installed. :shrug-shoulders:

It only took me cutting out the old LATCH belt holder with shears, duct taping down the holder on the back place (It wouldn't pull out of the shell). The LATCH connectors were always in the way to tighten the seatbelt down.

Then I had to Beat the recline bar into submission with one of dh's large hammers. Don't worry, nothing was marked since I employed a thin book as padding. But it went into the seat frame so much deeper than just using my hands. I think it only comes out the backside about 2-2 1/2 inches. Plus it's not falling out, EVER!

Because of this, I was able to install both paths and the Regent sits on the entire back seat! There's absolutely no hanging over the edge. Took a lot of work, but it's comfy for dd and safe for her legs :thumbsup:

I installed with SBP just to see if the Camry can... yes, but with a lot of wrestling, it's a 'good install', but not as solid as I like. Took about 45 minutes to get it 'just right'.

Then I pulled off the top of the cover and threaded LBP. It went like a dream and took 3 minutes total to tighten and be ROCK SOLID! I prefer it so much than the SBP. Flip the cover back, tuck it in, velcro, and everything is awesome. It's so pretty without the LBP visible :love: Compared to the Sahara we tested out, there are extra foam pads on top of the styrofoam lining the entire seat. It's very cushy.

I brought her out to see her new surprise... there was such a look of joy and pleasure on her face when she saw her Pretty pink seat. I took pictures, but the upload computer has died today. I'm just so relieved that the seat fits properly. We even pretended to go somewhere just so she could try everything out :thumbsup:

Note: I really don't think the top tether can be used in Outboard on older Camrys with rear speakers. It's too long and won't tighten down. So it's only center that has good tether.

Depending on Britax's reason for the changeover of belt paths, I might wait a long time to change it to SBP. DD's 36-37lbs and is only on the 2nd from the bottom slots. The only reason I can see to switch to a short belt path is to reinforce the center where the harness pressure would be in an accident. I don't see that need as soon as she hits 40lbs in that monster seat. But if that seat shifts in a side impact collision, I would really really be angry. It's not going to do that with the LBP, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does in the SBP. But that's my humble opinion.

I'm wrung out and exhausted after 3 hours playing with that creature. It's a throne in the back seat. My daughter is thrilled :love: Life is good :D

ADS

arly1983

Then I had to Beat the recline bar into submission with one of dh's large hammers. Don't worry, nothing was marked since I employed a thin book as padding. But it went into the seat frame so much deeper than just using my hands. I think it only comes out the backside about 2-2 1/2 inches. Plus it's not falling out, EVER!

I have to go reinstall mine anyway and I am going to try that. THANK YOU!!!

waterbaby

I hammered ours in with a mallet, and it was much less "out there", if you will, once I got that thing in snug. Really did make a difference.

I'm glad you got a good install!!! My girls love their Madison/Ashley seats. I do, too, lol.

Ahzryn

Lol, maybe we should start Britax Regent mallet users anonymous. "Hello, my name is Tam, and yes, I used a rubber mallet too." :ROTFLMAO:

arly1983

Success! Its in the van and is all on the seat....I will have to go and see if this makes a difference in my MIL's car....I will try my DH's truck but I don't think it will in there...

Connor's Mom

Rubber mallet user here, lol! :thumbsup:
I had to hammer that sucker in or it was sticking out too far and kept popping out. You would think that if they are going to require us to use it that they would make sure that it fits properly but nooooooo, that would be too easy.

waterbaby

Lol, maybe we should start Britax Regent mallet users anonymous. "Hello, my name is Tam, and yes, I used a rubber mallet too." :ROTFLMAO:

Seriously! It worked so well! :p

And maybe Britax should issue another "Advisory" (aren't I funny) to add "use of a mallet will aide in getting a kick butt recline bar install."
Thank they'd print it? Ha ha.

tjham

Well, it seems to me, that if it is going to be "required" from now on, THEY should install before it leaves the factory. ;)

We usually use a shoe to beat the recline bar into the holes. It isn't pretty to take my shoe off in front of someone and tell them I'm going to beat their new Regent with it, but you have to do what you have to do. The kids think its pretty funny.

However, I think I'll make a trip to Home Depot for a mallet. The ground is getting too hot to keep taking my shoe off. :)

Morganthe

Well, it seems to me, that if it is going to be "required" from now on, THEY should install before it leaves the factory. ;)

I like that idea, but I think they'd manage to muck it all up like having the bar 'too far' out. I'd like a shorter bar than what I believe they like and one with a little curve in the middle for center seat humps.

After all, it's not THEIR Fault if it doesn't install well in every vehicle on the market :rolleyes:

BTW, I went out and measured... I was wrong about 'inches'... it didn't go down to 2-3, but just under 4". Still it's SO much better than the last time I tried the RB. :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC