Need rf car seat for Netherlands / Europe

Ellish

I am looking for a rf carseat for my big and tall 10-month old son for our vacation in the Netherlands. Unfortunately, in the NLs it's common to rf only infants, and I couldn't find a Dutch car seat online that can be used for longer rf-ing. Any suggestions where / which European country I should look for? I'll be travelling by myself to NL from the US, so cannot drag a US one with me on the plane. I will need to use the seat upon arrival, so I need to make sure I order the right one online.

I got great advice here on my carseat for the US: I am very happy with my sturdy Diono!

Thank you!
Ailce

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I would purchase a Cosco Scenera or a Evenflo Tribute Sport from here & take it with you. I would also use it on the plane for the baby. He needs a seat on the plane as well.

Both of the above mentioned seats are light weight & fairly easy to install.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I completely agree. I've dragged my seat solo with child from the US to China and the US to Costa Rica. It's no different than taking it on a domestic flight (which should be done every time, as per the FAA recommendations. http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/). Baby needs a ticket, baby needs a seat. I wouldn't bet on a European seat being easy for you to install, rear facing, or doing anything I'd want it to do. I'd bring a US seat, and use it on the plane.

Wendy

goingoutside

We returned from a trip to visit family in the Netherlands in October, and after looking at all pricing and options, we ended up just buying an Evenflo Tribute and using it on the plane. It is much more lightweight than other seats.

We booked tickets before researching this, so we did not buy a seat for our L0, but the planes were very quiet, and we were able to put the seat on the plane on 3 out of 4 flights, including both international flights. It was a bit harder carrying the seat- I had it on my back with our little one in a front carrier, but the flight was MUCH easier with the seat on the plane. She slept for 6 hours of the flight in her seat, so that is a definite plus if you are flying alone.

We flew on Delta, and there was no trouble with RF the seat on the planes- they moved us up to the bulk head for the international flights. They always came to get us to preboard without us even asking so that gave us plenty of time to get all of our stuff into the plane. I do not know if that would be different if you were on a European carrier. I am sure that people will be even more accommodating when they see you alone with a 10 month old.

We did have to use the locking clip in the car, but it was not very hard to install with the seat belt there.

I see a thread from 2009 on here that says that the First Years True Fit may be available in the Netherlands. My in laws said that they were able to find a couple of seats with RF limits that were higher, but they were hundreds of Euros and that was definitely out of our budget. I am not completely sure about this, since they thought I was a bit crazy about the RF thing and they were not sure about exactly what they were looking for. I am sure that one of the Sweedish seats might work, but again, they were completely out of our budget.

I hope you find a solution that works for you! Planning this part
of our trip was difficult, but it worked out very well for us in the end!

gigi

I've travelled to Europe many times with my kid by myself and have always carried my own seats with me. The only things to keep in mind are a) to fly on US airlines bc they MUST allow carseat use and b) know how to install your seat with a locking clip because cars don't have locking belts there and rarely have latch/isofix attachments.

I brought my Diplomat most often but now use a Maestro. :) In your position I'd probably bring a Coccoro because of the lock offs and compact size, but the two mentioned above are much more cost effective.

Ellish

A late thank you for the advice! I will look into the Evenflo Tribute. I didn't buy a seat for my son for the way out, but will do so in the future and I definitely plan to have him in there in the car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC