Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

DD is exactly 40 lbs - which way should I go w/ the Regent?

Ugh - I don't know what to do.....
    Last night DD was EXACTLY 40 lbs. I don't know which way to go!
    She usually waiver between 38-41 lbs...so should I use LBP or SBP???
    Michelle ~ Mom to 4
    DD16 - adult seat belt, DS 14 - adult seat belt,
    DD 11 - Britax Frontier (booster), DD 9 - Graco Nautilus (booster)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: DD is exactly 40 lbs - which way should I go w/ the Regent?

I would say short belt path, thats coming from a parental decision. Hes right on the line, better to be safer to me.

I'd say 'use parental discretion' and employ the belt path you believe most secure in your vehicle. What's irritating is that Britax says 22-40lbs for LBP and 40+ for SBP, not 22-39, 40-80... so they're definitely not clear about a changeover point. Since they haven't provided any rationalization for this change, other than 'enhancement', especially for children hovering, it's a grey area, imo. We just don't know if younger smaller children are 'safer' with the LBP or the older larger kids NEED the SBP installation for a particular reason. It's infuriating! But I truly believe that the weight between the shift has to be arbitrary because kids weight patterns are.

good luck on making the decision
    Last edited by Morganthe; 07-14-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Because I spelled "Discretion" wrong :(
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

CPS Fanatic

I don't believe the 40 pound cutoff can be viewed as any kind of precise demarcation, from a scientific point of view; I guess I would tend to go SBP, as that is apparently safer, somehow, for heavier kids, but if the seat installed better LBP in my vehicle, I would be comfortable leaving it that way a bit longer. Like everyone else, I really wish Britax would release more information, so we are better able to make informed parental decisions.

Katrin