I am going to have to buy ds a booster :(

my2kidsSafe

Its only for a backup seat but at the same time i am ready to cry. He is only 4. Granted he will be 5 at the end of December. He has outgrown the radian. He is huge. He weighs 63 lbs. And is about 50 inches. Just to show how big he is. He is wearing size 7 pants, 8 tops, and a 1 shoe, at 4 :eek: He normally rides in a regent and luckily still fits in that. I have a radian as my backup seat for him that i use when my parents take him for the day. Maybe once every few months so its not alot but still i'm not ready for it. I needed room in my van so i put him in the radian and his ears were just a tad below the top of the shell. And even then i had to look closely to see. So i know he is going to outgrow it any day. I am not ready for him to be in a booster but my dad's car does not have top tether ancors so he cant use my regent or any other harnessed seat that he still fits into. And those high harnessing seats are too heavy to put in and out like that also. DD was harnessed to second grade and ds my crazy one. Luckily i have been booster training him when we drive short distances. So as long as someone is on him and watching him he should be fine. But still he is still my baby. :(

ADS

luckyclov

Are the tops of his ears above the seat shell of the Radian?

If it's an 80 or XT Radian, he may still fit in it. The Radian is outgrown forward-facing when the child reaches 53" OR when the tops of the ears are above the seat shell...whichever comes first. SKJP/Diono allows for the harness to follow below the shoulders FFing as long as the other height limit criteria is met.

ETA: Ah. I just re-read your post and noticed you mentioned the location of his ears in the shell. Duh.

If you've been booster training and he's responding well to it and riding "responsibly" (and he fits properly/rides properly in the booster and the booster fits properly in the vehicle), then I'd be OK with it...for a sometimes/occasionally kinda thing. It's safer then riding in a harnessed seat that's outgrown or not installed properly any day of the week. :)

Transitions are hard for parents, too. I still stress out a little over my 9 year old riding in a backless booster in DH's truck (he just outgrew the back of his Monterey), even though I know I shouldn't.

momtoo3

Ds2 was boostered at age 4. He is my wild child, well one of them ;). He sat perfectly in his booster and I rarely gave it a second thought. He fit great, the booster fit in my van and he stayed in position. We did have a few discussions about the law and what could happen in an accident if he was out of position. It was enough to make him sit. I do realize it is not the norm for a 4 yr old to sit properly though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC