Question Need new seat in Rav4...which one?

U

Unregistered

I'm so overwhelmed with options. What would fit well in my 2008 Rav4? My son is 10 months, 18 pounds and 28 inches. He currently still fits in his infant seat with room to spare, but I will need a new seat in the next few months. I was told Britax are good, but I've also read the shells are short. I want something that will last till as long as possible. I've heard True Fits are great, but wide (i dont particularly like that idea). Will a Graco Myride fit in this car? I hear those are pretty good. I've heard Radians dont really fit in this car well. Any advice would be fantastic. The things I'm looking for are
-Fits in car
-Rear facing to 40 pounds
-No rethread harness
-comfy, perhaps cupholder

I think thats about it. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
If you really want a no rethread harness, your options are Evenflo Triumph or Momentum, Britax Marathon or Boulevard, and First Years True Fit. The Evenflo and Britax seats RF to 40 pounds, the True Fit only RF to 35 pounds though. The MyRide has cupholders and RF to 40 pounds but does not have a no re-thread harness.

A MyRide is the only one of those seats I've put RF in that vehicle, and it installed just fine. The MyRide is a very deep seat, which is great for comfort but I think very cumbersome to get a RF toddler in and out of.

The Triumph has a side-adjust knob to adjust the harness tightness people usually either love or hate, but is very easy to install in most cases. The Momentum just has a few nicer features like push - button LATCH connectors (and some have a feature called Sure LATCH that is basically a self tightening strap that I really dislike, personally).

The Britax seats have slightly shorter shells and less leg room than some of the other seats, but easy to use and install. The difference from Marathon to Boulevard is that the Blvd has headwings.

The True Fit is a great seat, I love it a lot but sometimes the harness adjuster gets a little buried and hard to adjust when it's RF, and it does only RF to 35. That'll easily get your son to 2, probably close to 3 but if you're really wanting to ERF most kids hit 35 pounds somewhere around 3. It has a very tall shell and nice tall harness slots so it's my favorite for FF of all those seats as well.

The most important part is that you find a seat that is easy for you to use correctly every time - so if you can, go to Babies R Us and try your child in each of the seats and play with all the features - how the harness adjusts, how the buckles work, etc etc. Then go install all of them in your vehicle and see what fits well. He is the safest rear facing for a minimum of another year - from 12-24 months kids are five times more likely to be killed in a crash if they are FF vs RF, so pick one that you'll be comfortable using RF for another couple years!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC