Question Britax BLVD & Frontier 85 vs Graco MyRide 65 & Nautilus

safety4harp

Hi everyone.

I have been researching, but am still not 100% convinced which way to go. I'm hoping to make a decision today because I've found some pretty good deals.

DD is 4 yrs old. Approx 33 pounds and 40ish inches tall. Fairly long torsoed. Currently riding FF in MAs.

DS is 6 months old. Approx 19 pounds, 27 1/2 inches long, also long torsoed. He's been riding anywhere between 75th and 95th %iles for height and weight since birth. Still plenty of room in his KeyFit 30s, but considering new seats because of sales I'm finding and I don't love the KeyFits (I know, I think I'm the only one). His will sometimes sound like it is clicked into place but when I pull to double check, it isn't. Not a fan of this and never had that issue with DD's Snugrides.

So, leaning towards Britax Frontier 85 for DD and Britax BLVD for DS. I know the side impact testing is not regulated, but it seems from reading previous posts that Britax may do a little more with their private testing than Graco does?

Also, I'm concerned about life of Britax seats (due to the fact that my DD is so petite and will need to be in a seat for quite some time and DS doesn't actually NEED new seats yet)...I can't find the number of years before expiration. Also, what does "new generation" really mean? The BLVD I found is in this class of seats. Lastly, is SICT really worth it? No one can fit in between the 2 car seats in mine or DH's car anyway (and can't get a good install in middle seat of either car), so width isn't really that concerning.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

ADS

Kaitsmom

How much room does your oldest have in her Marathon? Do you have a torso measurement for her? The Frontiers harness goes about 2 inches higher then the Nautilus, so if shes close to outgrowing the Marathon I would get the Frontier and with its 9 year lifespan you will be able to pass it down to to the younger one.

Britax convertibles have shorter shells, which means a long torsoed kid will outgrow them quicker. I like Britax for ease if install and great customer service, but I wouldnt buy one if I had another kid, my dd is very tall and long torsoed.

The new generation seats go to 40lbs rfing and 70lbs ffing, an upgrade over the classic seats, and a 7 yr lifespan I like the look of the New Gen myself.

The SICT I dont think is worth it, especially in a newer car that you wont have anyone sitting right next to the seat. It makes them really wode, some people with smaller cars havent been able to shut the door with a Frontier SICT installed outboard.

Hope that helps.

safety4harp

Thanks! I don't have a torso measurement for her, she had a huge growth spurt since I last measured. I'm not passing the MAs down to my DS because my DH took the base covers off and I feel nervous about that. Also I'd like to have something with newer side impact technology.

What is the recommendation for booster seats as far as weight and height? Will I realistically be able to pass the Frontier down? I'm asking because my DD wants pink.

Are the Graco seats better for long torsoed kids or does that not matter in this comparison?

So, just so I'm clear, the Frontier would expire (booster and harness portions) in 9 years, and the BLVD in 7? What is the expiration on the Gracos?

Thanks again, you guys are always super helpful! Hopefully once I make this decision I won't have to bug you again for awhile!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC