Where to put RF Marathon and 2 FF Regents in an Outlook

npr74

We are getting our new Saturn Outlook tomorrow...yay! Where would you put the seats? We have a 6 month old in a Marathon RF, a 3 year old in a FF Regent, and a 6 year old in a FF Regent, Our Outlook has the bench seat in the middle row, not the captain's chairs. I was thinking of putting the 6 year old in the back row since she can buckle herself (I still double check it.), and the smaller two in the second row. I am worried about the RF seat and the adult in the front seat having to sit too far forward. Has anyone had this problem? Would you do it differently? :confused:
Thanks,
Nicole
DD 6 yrs
DS 3 yrs
DD 6 months

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I suspect that the RF Marathon will fit fine. It might fit better in the center than outboard until the baby is ready to sit more upright. Just try it out and see before you decide.

Assuming everything fits, I'd put RF baby outboard behind the passenger, FF 3 year old in the center and FF 6 year old outboard behind the driver. Switch 3 & 6 year olds if the 6 year old is needed to help keep the baby happy (giving her a pacifier, etc). Otherwise, just go with what fits! Radians are so narrow, I'd be surprised if you couldn't just put all 3 kids in the second row.

When you try the Marathon outboard, push the passenger seat all the way forward, install the Marathon at the correct angle tethered, then slide the passenger seat as far back as it will go (don't run over the tether!). Sit in the passenger seat, and if there is at least 10" between you and the front dash, you're good to go. As the baby gets more mature and can sit up better, you can put her seat more and more upright.

Here's a picture of my daughter Eva rear facing in a Marathon in our old, TINY Saturn SW2. She was very upright at that point, but the seat did fit with room for me in the front. In fact, I could push the front seat almost as far back as it would go without the Marathon behind it! I installed the seat just like I described above. If you put the MA in the center, do the same thing, only push both the front seats forward before you start to install.

npr74

We picked up our Saturn Outlook yesterday and we are so happy with it! :love: We decided this was the only option for our seats though...RF Marathon went behind passenger because of tether on the floor. 6 year old DD in her Regent went behind driver because her legs were too big for the space allowed in the third row (without the regent seat there is a ton of room in the third row for leg room). DS, who is 3 years old and in a Regent, sits in the third row with the middle seat belt and top tether. When the Marathon can be FF'ing we will put it in the third row. This will give DS more room as he grows. Overall we are delighted with the Outlook! What a great alternative to a minivan! I'll post some photos later. Thank you for the good advice. I have learned so much.
Nicole :thumbsup:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
We picked up our Saturn Outlook yesterday and we are so happy with it! :love: We decided this was the only option for our seats though...RF Marathon went behind passenger because of tether on the floor. 6 year old DD in her Regent went behind driver because her legs were too big for the space allowed in the third row (without the regent seat there is a ton of room in the third row for leg room). DS, who is 3 years old and in a Regent, sits in the third row with the middle seat belt and top tether. When the Marathon can be FF'ing we will put it in the third row. This will give DS more room as he grows. Overall we are delighted with the Outlook! What a great alternative to a minivan! I'll post some photos later. Thank you for the good advice. I have learned so much.
Nicole :thumbsup:

Are you aware the 2nd row seats move forward and back up to 8" to allow more leg room for all rows of seat? That might also be an option to allow more leg room for the 3rd row occupants.

npr74

Yes, We have the seats scooted all the way up/back. I think it is just that the Regent is so large. I may try a Radian. We could probably get all three in the second row with just one child in a Radian. Since Chrysler is paying for my 3 new car seats that got burnt up in my Pacifica, I might buy Radians instead of Regents. What do you think?

Nicole :confused:

npr74

Nope, I would have to put 3 Radians in the second row. (One Radian would not fit with a Marathon & a Regent.) I just have to decide what to do. We have 2 Regents and 1 Roundabout that has heavy smoke damage. We could replace the covers, and maybe be ok. Do they make replacement covers for Regents? If so, where do I get them? Britax did not have them on their web page.

Nicole
PS-How do you put photos and ages in your siggies? :confused:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Yes, We have the seats scooted all the way up/back. I think it is just that the Regent is so large. I may try a Radian. We could probably get all three in the second row with just one child in a Radian. Since Chrysler is paying for my 3 new car seats that got burnt up in my Pacifica, I might buy Radians instead of Regents. What do you think?

Nicole :confused:

I would try the Radian before buying to be sure. I know in my Tahoe & dh Silverado I can't get a good install at all with the Radian.

As for your other post I would replace the seats. They took extreme heat from the fire. I would be leary about them.

mamaofthree

We are considering an Outlook and I'd love to see photos!! So do you think you can fit 3 across the second row in any way? Lets say, a RF Marathon and Compass booster and Radian FF? I only have 3 kids, and it would be darn convenient to get them all in that second row. Thanks!!

Kimberly

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would try the Radian before buying to be sure. I know in my Tahoe & dh Silverado I can't get a good install at all with the Radian.

As for your other post I would replace the seats. They took extreme heat from the fire. I would be leary about them.

The Radian is compatible ff'ing with seatbelt install in all 3 2nd row bench positions. Rf'ing with latch outboard is compatible. Rf'ing center is not compatible. :thumbsup: I didn't try it in the 3rd row. The 3rd row buckle stalks aren't hard like the 2nd row, so I'm not sure how it would compare. I'd imagine it might actually make for an easier install in the 3rd row.

We are considering an Outlook and I'd love to see photos!! So do you think you can fit 3 across the second row in any way? Lets say, a RF Marathon and Compass booster and Radian FF? I only have 3 kids, and it would be darn convenient to get them all in that second row. Thanks!!

Kimberly

This configuration would absolutely work. Right now I have a ff'ing marathon on the 40 split part, a safeseat 1 in the middle and there's enough room for another seat outboard behind the driver. It's a bit too tight for a marathon - but the marathon is a fairly wide seat. So marathon outboard, booster in the middle and radian outboard would be no problem at all. Or booster outboard and radian in the middle.

eta: The radian ff'ing in the middle is does take a trick to get it installed, but it does install tightly if you lock the seatbelt and tighten it up as much as possible, then unbuckle and feed it a few clicks into the retractor and rebuckle it. It took a couple times of doing this to get it tight, but it was very solid once we did this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC