best option for 9 month old with cerebral palsy

my2boys0508

CPS Technician
My 9 month old nephew was recently diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

I was a certified tech until this past July. (I didn't re-certify. I wasn't using my certification enough and as a stay at home mom was having a hard time finding sitters to go to seat checks.) I haven't kept up in the past 6 or so months on what seats have come out and what seats are still most recommended. I haven't been active on this site in a while either and of course now I really wish I had kept up on car seat info.

Any help or advice is greatly apprectiated.

My sister came to me in hopes that I could recommend the best car seat for my nephew. He's not the most severe case of cerebral palsy but also not the most mild case either. He can sit up on his own for short periods of time. He will probably walk and probably talk, but will be delayed greatly in both. He doesn't have any use of his right hand/arm.

What car seat would be the most recommended seat for a disabled child?

ADS

Shaunam

I highly recommend the graco my ride. My DD has very severe cp and the my ride is by far the best seat out of all the ones weve tried as far as supporting her low tone. She cannot even lift her head, so that's saying something. ;)

It also works out extremely well forward facing as it has a nice, natural recline to it. I turned my daughter forward facing at age 3 and she's never slumped or had forward head flop in it. She's outgrowing it now at age 4 and I'll be sad to let go, but it's time. :(

my2boys0508

CPS Technician
Thank you! The My Ride was my original thought, but I wasn't sure if there was anything that had come out since that seat, that would have a nice natural recline in both positions.

Thank you :)

Shaunam

I try to try her in all the new seats that come out, except for ones I can't find in the store locally (true fit, recaro seats). The next best fit for her seemed to be the evenflo momentum. The extra padding in the sides stabilized her torso nicely, and it can be put in the second recline position when forward facing. I have a ton of pics of how she fits in different seats if you are interested. She's quite a bit bigger than a 9 month old ;), but it can give you an idea of how it works for her tone at least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC