I want a new (to me) car

2BunniesMommy

I am tired of feeding the vans so much gas.

Here's what I'm looking for...

1. Safe
2. Great gas mileage
3. 4 doors
4. trunk
5. under $14,000

Oh yeah, I also need to fit 2 Frontiers in the back seat. No one else needs to fit, because that would be crazy to try! LOL!

What has all this?

ADS

2BunniesMommy

I would love a Prius, but have to go pretty old to get them into my price range, and other than the first gen, they are hatchbacks, which I don't want.

DH's mom had a Camry, 2003 or 2004, I think. I was hoping she would offer to sell it to us, but she traded it in. Wonder how old we would have to go with one to get it into our price range.

Have a friend that has a Corolla, I saw it in 2003/2004 when it was only a year or so old, and it seemed like a good car then. He still has it, so that is a good thing. We don't hang out anymore, so I can only assume it is doing well for him, but don't know for sure.

T4K

I sold my 2009 corolla with 30K miles to my brother for 9K. I'm sure you could get a good deal on one.

noahsmom24

Good Luck on your search :) I am currently in the same Boat, Looking for a new (to me) vehicle as well. My budget isn't as high as yours, but it is still fun looking and doing a lot of dreaming as well lol Please keep us updated on what you get and how the fit is for your Frontier 85's :)

Haley.h87

I have a 2011 Mazda3 and LOVE it! Can easily get 2 nautis or a nauti and a RF my ride in the back. I know there are 2009s that fit your budget.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd go with a Corolla. I had one in 2003 for a year or two, and my sister has it now.. Great car, great price, meets all of your requirements. Second on my list would be the Matrix, but you said you want a trunk :)

-N.

beetlemama

I believe MILs civic is worth around 9K. It's a 2007 sedan. The trunk is deceptively huge and there's plenty of space in the backseat. MIL sat comfortably between our two radians, so I'm sure two frontiers would fit. We borrowed it for a 10 day road trip (we could just barely squeeze all the luggage into our beetle so we wanted a touch more space). All our luggage, including double stroller, fit comfortably in the trunk and there were miles of space for the carseats (DH is 6' and could sit comfortably in front of the RF radian). We got in the 35 mpg range in terms of mileage, so good.

daniele_ut

The 2005 Chevy Malibu that I just sold had everything you are asking about. The trunk was HUGE. I could fit my MBUD in it folded. The newest body style is a bit smaller, but I think they made the one that I had until 2008 or 2009. I sold my 2005 for $6200 with 84,000 miles on it.

Brianna

I bought my 08 Malibu LT a few months ago with 40K on it for $14,000. It has a sunroof and adjustable foot pedals, so one without those should be cheaper. It has a huge trunk and I get 25 mpg. The only thing I don't love is the bump for the center seat and lack of headrest for the center.

ETA the 2007 and older, along with the 08 classic don't have the center bump and would also be cheaper

rxmommy

I had an Impala that I loved, and got reasonable gas mileage. I mean most anything is an improvement anyway over DH's trucks and my minivan. :p Tons of trunk space. Lovely car. Too bad I have too many kids and a dog and don't fit in one anymore!

love-pink

I 2nd the Impala. Ton of room, great trunk and good mpg. You can get 2000-2005 for under $5k, depending on mileage. ;)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC