Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

:-D DS rode FF for the first time on Friday....

He's 17 months, and 25 lbs. I was at the carwash vacuuming out the car. We were done, and there were two cars waiting to use the vacuum, so I was hurrying. I started to reinstall his seat RF, but it's not fast or easy, and I know installing it FF is (it's a MA). So....I put it FF, and buckled him in. OMG! He rode the whole way GRIPPING the sides of his car seat and looking rather alarmed! LOL! Suffice to say I IMMEDIATELY turned him back around as soon as we got home. He'll stay RF until he either gets too tall, or hits 33 lbs. Which will be quite some time.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member MelllieMa's Avatar

haha

I was all prepared to tell you about the benefits of extended rear-facing, then read the rest of your post and was ROFL!
    I'm glad you turned him back around again, poor little guy!
    You must be in some lucky area to have had a nice enough day to go to the car wash. Aaaahh, sunshine.... I am waiting for you...
    Melanie, CPS Tech and mom to Tori (24) Benjamin (13) and Lucian (9), still in a Harmony Cruz.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    OMG! I hope Janice sees this! She described the EXACT situation from the other day when Cias rode FF for the first time! Gripping the sides of the seat in utter fear...

After being at lifesavers, she's decided that even the extreme inconvenience of installing her seat RF in her truck is worth it (Now I can't even remember which workshop it was, but when Darren asked about how kids fared in crashes who were rearfacing, the presenter's eyes lit up and she said RF kids usually did beautifully in even terrible crashes...you could tell she was ALL for extended RF!)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Mommy2Cias
    Heehee.. Cias did that last Tuesday..... right before I left for Lifesavers I turned his seat around in dh's truck b/c it was so hard to install rf.. . After going to the side impact protection workshop, I decided that he's going back rf until I absolutly have NO choice but to turn him. I'm sure by the time he reaches 33 pounds, a higher rf weight limit seat will be out. That would be awesome!!!!!

Cias didn't like it either.. He was scared the whole time. He doesn't talk much, so he didn't say anything, but he spent most of the ride(a 2 hour round trip) gripping the sides of his seat totally freaked out. I found myself driving slower and more cautiously too.... LOL.. I should drive like that more often.