Question Is a HBB safer in the 3rd row of van?

mlohry

So my middle DS is just 7 and it growing out of the HB TB and I was just going to get him and Amp, which I love for our oldest, but my middle DS sits in the 3rd row of our 2005 Ody and I just don't like the head rests as well there and I worry about being rear ended and him not being as protected. I feel completely fine with my oldest in the middle row in a LBB, but that 3rd row just doesn't seem as safe to me. Any advice, any evidence that he is not as safe in the 3rd row? I'm looking at the SGL, as I think it worked ok with the seat belt systems back there. I had a hard time finding one that I liked more than the HB TB back there.

ADS

luckyclov

I don't have any safety evidence/stats to give you.

But, my oldest (9) rides in the 3rd row. He's currently in the center (which we know is the safest seating position) in a PWSG. I like him there because...as many of us do, we put the "least protected" in the "most protected" position. I don't consider him unsafe in a HBB, but I do feel like he's safer in the center of the 3rd row vs. outboard 3rd row. He also has more legroom room in the center and there's nothing directly in front of his face.

That said, when he outgrows the back on the PWSG, he's going to have to move outboard in a backless because the shoulder belt outboard fits better then the center shoulder belt AND I like the outboard headrests better. He'll still be pretty darn safe back there because 1) his seatbelt will fit properly, 2) his LBB fits him well (and fits in my vehicle well), 3) he has adequate head support, 4) the 3rd row has curtains, and 5) for everyday travel, all of our stuff in the cargo rests below the seatback level in the cargo "well" (makes me feel a little better about cargo loading into the 3rd row seatback).

So, I'd say...if your child fits well in the booster, and there's a good head support and seatbelt fit, the booster fits well in your vehicle, and your chid rides properly the whole ride, I, personally, wouldn't spend too much time stressing over it.:)

mlohry

Judi said:
What do you not like about the head rests?

The 2nd row head rests wrap around the head better. The 3rd row ones, basically just support the head from flying back.

rxmommy

The back middle is the only spot with LATCH, so I would probably just get the PWSG unless you plan on having him ride in the middle all the time. My back kiddo rides outboard most of the time and I don't really have any worries about her being in a backless. She rides in a hb 90% of the time though.

mlohry

rxmommy said:
The back middle is the only spot with LATCH, so I would probably just get the PWSG unless you plan on having him ride in the middle all the time. My back kiddo rides outboard most of the time and I don't really have any worries about her being in a backless. She rides in a hb 90% of the time though.

I had major issues with the seat belt getting caught in the PWSG in the 3rd row when I tried it out a while ago. The SGL must have more space for the shoulder belt and it didn't get hung up. The SGL is also a better lap belt fit on him.

Pixels

The 2nd row head rests wrap around the head better. The 3rd row ones, basically just support the head from flying back.

Well, that's exactly what the head restraints are supposed to do. They are there to support the head and keep it from flying back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC