Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Airplane trip(maybe this should be in travel)

Hi

Not sure I maybe should have also posted this in travel looking for advice flying across the country right after Christmas. I am headed from Alberta to New Brunswick I will have my two year old and eight year old with me. I am planning on bringing the two year olds carseat with me and purchasing a booster when I get there(or I may be able to borrow one). First question I have a Graco myride or an evenflo titan which would you recommend? Second would my eight year old son be fine with a low back booster for the two weeks we are there he only weighs about 45lbs or should I get him a high back?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I've flown with the Titan and it is an excellent choice for flying with. Light and easy to install on the plane.

I'd been fine with a backless for an 8 year old. I'd bring one with me and just carry it on the flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    ~ Laura ~
    CRST-I & Mom to DD#1 November 2005 & DD#2 May 2008 and DD#3 August 2013

Re: Airplane trip(maybe this should be in travel)

thats what I was thinking the titan is more compact and lighter, the only concern I have is I have found the Graco easier to install in some vehicles so wasn't sure. It will be rearfacing for driving. I actually can use a backless down there but wasn't sure if I should buy a highback instead as he only turns 8 a week before we go and he is on the small side with only weighing 45lbs. Whats the easiest way to carry carseats through the airport I will have mulitple flights to board.

What I do is put the car seat on a luggage cart(the one I have had a bungee cord built in) and then get my older daughter to carry her backless. I have even put the back less booster in a cloth bag and I have carried it that way. I push my youngest in the car seat on the cart. Are you taking a stroller also?

What does your older child ride in presently? If you want to take a high back booster, you could carry on the lower portion and then I have packed the back portion in my suitcase padded by clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    ~ Laura ~

A luggage cart you bought? I guess where did you get it at as well if that is the case? I don't feel its worth the hassle to bring the booster seat as I will have to switch plans a min of one time both ways and my aunt has a backless I can use so I'll go that route for the booster. Thank You

I put the car seats in the stroller(s), along with my carryons. DH wrangles the children (so they walk or he carries one and the other walks).

On a typical trip, we have 2 lightweight strollers and (until recently) 2 carseats, along with 2 adult carryons. Now DD#1 uses a LBB (Apramo from Cdn Tire) when we travel, so I use either 2 lightweight strollers, 1 carseat and a booster OR 1 mid-weight stroller with an integrated toddler step (for my eldest), 1 carseat and 1 booster.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

I will be by myself so no help carrying or pushing things. How do you get the carseat to stay in the stoller? I do have a small stroller guess I could see how the carseat fits.

I just prop them in. I know other people use bungee cords so that the child can sit in the car seat and ride in the stroller. If I needed to, I would do that through the airport. You could put the booster in the basket of the stroller.

Use a backpack of your carryon. Younger child + carseat in stroller, booster in basket. Older child walks (and carries booster if the stroller d/n have a basket). Alternatively, you could check the booster in your checked luggage.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Thanks I'll play around with it(I'm not bringing a booster with me). Guess I should also ask for any tricks to installing the carseat, I have to do it forward facing on the plane right? I think I read before sometimes you need a seatbelt extender?

Another question I know for the last leg it will be on a smaller only four seat across plane(two on either side of the aisle) will I have problems with the seat fitting?

CPS Technician

If it's a Dash-8 or CRJ, either will fit FF but may be harder RF. I RF'd my child on the plane until he was well past 2 y/o without an issue. FF is a little easier because they can see the TV and installation is a little easier. Also, FF you'll get less grief from the FAs.

I'm not sure how the belt path on the Titan is accessed but I know with the MR, a belt extender was absolutely necessary for accessing the release buckle tongue.

I did not need a belt extender if I recall correctly.. It was an easy install. And I installed it on a dash-8 for our last leg over to Vancouver Island. It is a very compact seat. I only used it ffing though.
    ~ Laura ~