Gold Star Check Up Event for Me!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I helped at a check event last night. Here's the highlights:

IO's for 5 week old twin girls

tethered an RF MA - still pretty unusual around here and the instructor knew I'd done them

Installed a RF AO (remove the base and make the noodle pyramid). [The other tech has not done many checks and was scarily clueless. Didn't have the LATCH routed correctly, didn't know you could take the base off, didn't ask parent about CTR because it had a fold down armrest (didn't check the manual :eek: .] Mom (via cell phone) was against putting the seat in the center, even though we kept stressing it was safer and that LATCH was convience, NOT safety. The dad did say she would read every word of the info we give parents and my somewhat cocky reply was: "Good, then you'll be moving it to the center."

AND :love: We had a lull in our schedule (all our checks are by appointment) and I noticed a beautiful toddler in the parking lot with 2 adults. I walked out and gushed over the toddler - dark kinky hair done up in at least a dozen ponies, each with 3-4 different colored twisties, huge dark eyes and a ready smile. I then mentioned we were doing a free car seat check up event - would they be interested in having her seat check? Mom was initially reluctant but her friend suggested she should go ahead.

WOW, was I GLAD!!

Mom pulls around with her SUV and I ask her to show me how she's buckles the little girl in. Harness was snaggin' and then she buckles the seat belt over her and moves the shoulder harness behind :eek: . (I had immediately noticed the unused seat belt but couldn't readily tell if LATCH was being used - No, it's a '97).

As non threatenly as I could be(and gushing over this little girl who was a total flirt and mom w/her French/West African accent - equally as pretty), I checked the seat, straightened the twisted harness and showed mom how to raise the harness up to the next slots and buckle it in the car tightly. Then, we put the little girl in the seat and tightened up the harness (mom observed the little metal harness release in the front of the AO with surprise, "I didn't even know that was there!")

After that, mom wanted to know when another check would be held (she's pregnant and stated she hadn't purchased a seat for the new baby). . . she asked for the phone number to make an appointment and was very gracious, saying thank you several times (And so did WE!).

I was 'high' for the rest of the evening. What a great feeling to know I had made one child (and possibly more) significantly safer in just a few minutes!!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yayyy! The little girl and her mama were at the right place at the right time, serendipity! :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That's great. I've only been at one seat check which was a police roadside check when we completed our classs, and I just loved it. It's such a good feeling to know that you're helping these kids be safer in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC