Are you going Black Friday shopping? Let's discuss...

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We'd like to know what some of your favorite Black Friday stores are. Do you line up the night before, in the cold (ice/snow/etc?!) What are you shopping for, this year?

-N.

ADS

Auntie2Avi

This year I'm going to the outlets with my sister. They are about 45 minutes away and have a Banana Republic outlet, Coach outlet, lots of good stores! They open at midnight, but we are planning on going around 3. In my experience with these outlets around 3-4 they get quieter, and then around 7 they get crazy busy. I'm looking for clothes, and a new wallet. We are not planning on trying on clothes if there are long lines. We are just going to buy stuff that we like and then we will return it another time. We :love: the outlets and always like an excuse to go back.

QuassEE

Does Walmart price match other Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals if they can't tell for sure they're in stock? How picky are they? I've never price matched!

Ilana--do you shop online at all? I'm pretty limited to online, if I don't want to fight the border :)

-Nicole.

Brianna

I go shopping at the biggest mall in the area... it has a few big department stores and tons of other little stores I love. I'm not sure what I'm looking for- I generally don't pick gifts for people until I see them. I got there around 4 am last year and there weren't any lines, I think I'll do that again this year.

Auntie2Avi

Ilana--do you shop online at all? I'm pretty limited to online, if I don't want to fight the border :)

-Nicole.

I don't usually shop online on BF. I'm a very tactile shopper, I have to touch the item to see if I'm going to like it or not. If I wanted something other than clothing I would 100% shop online though.

NannyMom

Does Walmart price match other Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals if they can't tell for sure they're in stock? How picky are they? I've never price matched!

-Nicole.

Yes. Walmart will price match other store's Black Friday ads. They follow the times specified in the ad though. So if Target's sale starts at 12am, Walmart won't match the price until 12am. If there's a doorbuster that ends at 10am, it does the same at Walmart too. And they won't add the gift card if that's part of teh deal (ie- TRU has a free $50GC with purchase of an ipod touch)

mkmama

I head to the outlet stores at midnight...well, 10 pm this year.

We hit The Childrens Place, Gymboree, Carters, and Osh Kosh...then I'm also going to Kitchen Collection and Bath and Body works this year. They're all outlet stores, and they're stocked really well, lines are reasonable, people are nice, and its just pretty laid back for black friday -- and the prices are awesome for the kids clothes!

Its really the only time of the year I buy my kids many clothes...I buy lots of pajamas on BF, because they're usually priced around $8 to start as doorbusters, then I get the 10% off everything for early bird and then another 20% off coupon for black friday -- so each pair ends up costing me under $6 with tax, whereas typically a good sale price for those pajamas is around $10-12 before tax.

Forgot to add...I'm usually in the parking lot about an hour before they open, but I don't get out of my car and get in line...we just sit in the car under our blankets until the doors open -- but like I said, the lines aren't really ridiculous, and the stores are REALLY well stocked to start with (I've never seen them run out of anything) so at that time of the morning it doesnt have to be a mad dash to get what you want.

QuassEE

...I'm fairly tactile, but the one "clothing" item I REFUSE to buy in stores are SHOES! With sales, coupon codes, and other deals, I can often get at least 50% off on shoes for the kids (and my big kids are in adult shoes).. so I usually make sure each of the kids get a pair of shoes. I usually try to buy them around Cyber Monday, since I can often get an additional 10-15% off that I wouldn't normally have been able to get.

Once you know your shoe size in one brand, it's pretty much a no brainer.. except for Uggs..they're somewhat unpredictable from style to style.

-N.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I will not be doing any Black Friday shopping...time is money baby and my time is more precious than saving a couple hundred dollars.

QuassEE

I totally agree--I don't mind Cyber Monday though. I just can't imagine camping at Best Buy.

Our big shopping day here in Canada is "Boxing Day"--the day after Christmas :) I've avoided it for my whole life, and I'm not going to start in on Black Friday now!

-Nicole.

NannyMom

I don't do the crazy camping out thing. And I refuse to go to stores that i know will be crazed. I will go to my local Walmart and Target. I've gone there in past years and it's nice and calm for the most part. I am venturing out of my comfort zone to go to Toys R us this year. We'll see how it goes.

vamom

I was surprised that no one was camping out yet in our town. I was at target around 2 and they had already set most of their stuff and just shrink wrapped over it.

I was at best buy last (twice today) around 9:30 pm and they were putting the final items out.

Hit walmart around 10pm and they were finishing up with shrink wrap instead of cardboard this year. Each pallet had a sign that it would not ring up until 10 pm Thursday. Lots of staff moving about.

I did end up buying a few regular items that are part of the blitz. They were shrink wrapped in one area, but on the shelf in another. The manager swore up and down that it would not ring up and refused to try. So I waited and went to a different register. It rang up just fine. Two items still need to be price matched Thursday night or early Friday.

So I will price match two books at walmart Thursday night and try to grab some jeans for my mom. Nothing really grabbed me. Then I will hit target and price match some video games and two blankets. I will most likely grab another memory card.

I have a short list this year - mom, dad, granny, ds, and professional contacts/service providers. I bake for most of the latter and pass out candles that my mother sells. Mom wants clothes (jeans from walmart and tops from jcpenney that I have already), dad is getting new crocs online Thursday and I already got him some trinkets. I bought granny some blankets already. Ds is all about video games now, and I have those, other then price matching. I might swing by Dick's to see if the archery sets are on sale for him. I will check online at amazon too.

I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt". There just isn't much that matches up this year, we don't need much, and I need to conserve money. I did buy my present from my family today. I have my dad's old hand me down laptop since my netbook and notebook crashed beyond rescue. I stumbled on an Hp 17.3 " 4gb/500 gb i4 laptop for $340 today. Last one. I'm tickled. My granny (well my mom) bought me a new coat from a lands end sale this year too. My family got ds an xbox (well I did for them) from tru with a $100 gift card last week. It has been fun matching and tracking down different deals on ds's video games.

I bought my self a kindle fire, but I am having second thoughts.

Oh, I will get a discount haircut too! I hope to get some rest today, go to the hospital to see Gran, go out for dinner (no one is up to cooking this year), hit my stores/online, then head out of town for some Christmas lights at the zoo and some quiet time at the beach. My timeshare points expire Nov 30th, so I am trying to squeeze in some time. Unfortunately I can't go before Friday and have a meeting Monday evening that I really can't miss.

Pixels

A lot of retailers have their deals available online today. DH will shop BestBuy and anything else he's interested in between cooking today. My laptop was a BF special last year, DH bought it around noon on T-day.

bubbaray

Our big shopping day here in Canada is "Boxing Day"--the day after Christmas :) I've avoided it for my whole life, and I'm not going to start in on Black Friday now!

You're too young to remember A&B Sound's Boxing Day sale. It was so fun! I started going when I was around 14 years old. I stopped going in my early 20's. It was a tradition. Most of those years, no other stores were open, just them.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Pixels said:
A lot of retailers have their deals available online today. DH will shop BestBuy and anything else he's interested in between cooking today. My laptop was a BF special last year, DH bought it around noon on T-day.

You are my new favorite friend (although I think I gave you that distinction a few weeks ago for something else :p) DH and I were going to go to Best Buy to get one of the laptops. I saw this and told him to go to bestbuy.com so that I could bookmark and refresh - and it was already on sale with free shipping! The only problem was I was planning on paying half and half with 2 different credit cards (gotta love when black Friday falls right BEFORE payday) so now I'll have to cross my fingers until Tuesday when I get paid.

Shaunam

I haven't gone BF shopping in years! I'm considering venturing out tonight for a $35 bike from Walmart. Ds is almost 7 and has no bike (how did that happen!? I feel like a bad mom lol).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC