Question Toyota sequioa?

Freekel

Hi, I have never posted here before but have lurking for some time! I'm interested in the newer model Toyota sequoia and was wanting some feedback on it! I have 3 kids, a 5 yo ff harnessed, 3 yo ff harnessed and a rf 15 month old.
TIA

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi! Thanks for hanging around with us! I don't have experience with the Sequoia, so I'm bumping this up for you. Since it's a slow week for everyone, you may want to wait a bit longer for a response. Surely someone has some info for you :).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hi there! I don't have a Sequoia but it's on the top of our list to replace my current small 5-passenger SUV.

Do you have a price range in mind? Are you planning on using the 3rd row?

tmahanes

We have an 03 and absolutely love it. It rides extremely well! I have used a snug ride, a Marathon and a Radian xtsl is what is in there on a daily basis. Off hand I know that there are 2 sets of latch on the second row. I just have one kid who RF so I am not sure about the tether but I can look for you if you like

Freekel

Thanks for the feedback! I don't have a price range as we will probably lease a new one, 2011 or 2012 at the end of this year or beginning of next. I will possibly use the third row but probably not on a daily basis unless we have a 4th, which won't be anytime soon!
I know the 2011 has 3 latch in the center seat which means three across will probably be fine. The thrid row doesn't have latch, but not sure if it has any TA?
Has anyone tried a radian rfing in a sequoia? And does it fit?

SavsMom

I use to work for Toyota so have some good experience with the Sequoia.
The current generation has latch for all three seating positions in the middle row - including 3 top tethers, the third row has latch and a top tether for the center position only.
I have installed my seats in a Sequoia (classic marathon, complete air, nautilus and a frontier) and they all installed easily. I never did 3-across, but there is plenty of room in the middle row so I really don't see where it would be a problem.

I think the only downfall of the Sequoia is the lack of cargo room with the third row up, however, the third row is a 60/40 split, so even if you had someone sitting in the third row you can still fold down a portion of the seat and allow for a little more cargo room.

If you are looking to lease - be prepared, they typically do not lease well. In my years of working for Toyota the Sequoia only had a lease special that was worth looking at maybe 2 or 3 times. Toyota (and many other manufacturers) quit doing their strong leases on the large SUV's due to the volatility in gas prices.

SavsMom

I use to work for Toyota so have some good experience with the Sequoia.
The current generation has latch for all three seating positions in the middle row - including 3 top tethers, the third row has latch and a top tether for the center position only.
I have installed my seats in a Sequoia (classic marathon, complete air, nautilus and a frontier) and they all installed easily. I never did 3-across, but there is plenty of room in the middle row so I really don't see where it would be a problem.

I think the only downfall of the Sequoia is the lack of cargo room with the third row up, however, the third row is a 60/40 split, so even if you had someone sitting in the third row you can still fold down a portion of the seat and allow for a little more cargo room.

If you are looking to lease - be prepared, they typically do not lease well. In my years of working for Toyota the Sequoia only had a lease special that was worth looking at maybe 2 or 3 times. Toyota (and many other manufacturers) quit doing their strong leases on the large SUV's due to the volatility in gas prices.

Let me edit that - the third row only has a top tether - no latch - don't know why I said it did - lol!

luckyclov

My friend has an '06-ish Sequoia (it may be an '07). It's a higher trim with 4WD, leather, and curtains covering all 3 rows. It's nice, but it really lacks in rear space, both in the 2nd row and 3rd row...and with the 3rd row up, cargo space is really embarrassing for a vehicle of that size. There's a full set of LATCH in the center of the 2nd row and also in the drivers side outboard. I don't recall if there's a top tether anchor 2nd row passenger side. I'm drawing a blank on the 3rd row's lower anchors, but I know, for sure, both outboard positions have a top tether anchor. I REALLY dislike how the passenger side 2nd row seat is just flipped forward and held up by a piece of webbing and plastic S hook.

I have another friend with an '11 Sequoia (Platinum). After the redesign, Toyota improved their rear seating space, mostly in the 2nd row. I don't find the 3rd row especially spacious and the cargo space (with all 3 rows up) could be better, given the vehicle size, but it's an improvement from the previous generation of Sequoia. The braking system, as with all new generation Toyotas, is OUT-STANDING. Toyota pretty much owns me for life based on that alone.

Freekel

Thanks for all the input! I did notice that there is no room in the back with the 3 rd row up. I would usually have it down since I only have 3 kids but like having it there in case we have a 4th or carpool situations. I guess I will have to go and see if I can fit my stroller and stuff in the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC