Why become a tech?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I would LOVE to become a tech, but the class costs $160 (and I am an SAHM, so I don't have child care for 3 days for a class). But even if I could afford it, what does a tech get to "do"? Other than participate in car seat check ups, what are other perks? (Dh especially needs justification for spending that kind of money)

I wish I could have a badge and a ticket pad to stop people and write citations. :p I would love to flash my badge and have people bow to my every car seat command.

But for now, I'll just have to stick to wishing and hoping. :)

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Um... YOU GET TO DO SEAT CHECKS!!!! (That's not enough?!?) ;)

It's a perk on your resume for certain jobs. Plus, in the class we took there was a girl who'd been hired P/T by a hospital and her ONLY job is to check seats. (I want THAT job, thank you very much.)

And did I mention that YOU GET TO DO SEAT CHECKS?!?!

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Um... YOU GET TO DO SEAT CHECKS!!!! (That's not enough?!?) ;)

It's a perk on your resume for certain jobs. Plus, in the class we took there was a girl who'd been hired P/T by a hospital and her ONLY job is to check seats. (I want THAT job, thank you very much.)

And did I mention that YOU GET TO DO SEAT CHECKS?!?!

LOL! Thanks for your enthusiasm! I guess that is a big perk in itself!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You get the joy of knowing you helped save a life. ;) No, really, that's about it for most people. I probably would've had to think harder about doing it for $160, but not much. Mine was only $60. I love what I do though and I think most people have shelled out at least that much on any 'hobby'.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
yeah the standard fee is $60 from safe kids...
this is where i found my class and when i called to sign up for it... it was then offered to be free from our state safekids coordinatore b/c they had scholership program where if i took the course, completed it then did 4 check up for the place offering the class (state farm) then it was free.
you can search for classes here. https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...OURSESEARCH&Webid=safekidscertSQL&pSearch=yes

sunnytrishCPS

Senior Community Member
I got involved because I knew nothing about any of it--this had been my husband's job.

At a local children's safety fair, I had the opportunity to meet and chat w/someone from our Safety Restraint Coalition and she inspired me--if anything to learn more about how to protect my own children. I started reading, learning... and decided to take the course. I was--and am still--amazed at how much this kind of skill/volunteer is needed and appreciated in my own community. Car seat checks are an eye opener. It's feels great to help others and to continue to learn.

cdncasper

I can a tech to help potentially save children's lives and to help confused parents/caregivers with their carseats. It makes me feel good when I help install a carseat properly.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What size of town do you live in? When I became a tech I wrote letters to different clubs (Rotary, Loins, etc). The Rotary club paid for my class. It was $100. I am also a SAHM. If I hadn't gotten it paid for DH won't have been so willing to let me take it.
Stefanie

CRS

Senior Community Member
You know what. It's an incredibly good feeling you get when you help people. When you have a parent/child come to you for help, and you send them away safer then they came to you. These little things you do, can help save someones life. You can't put a price on life, it's invaluable. I flew 4390 miles, a 9 hour flight - to another country LOL to become a tech. Where there's a will, there's a way! If you want it enough, you'll get there :)

sb518

When I went through the the department of public saftety for the classes they required $120, but when I found one through the link in the reply above it shows only $60. The difference is a 5 day course or a 3 day course. Of course the 3 day course is cheaper.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Check to see if there are any other local classes. Like others mine was only $60 too.

I am one of the lucky ones that has since found a CPS position in our local hospital. I love that I get paid for what I love to do.

But, Even before I found my dream job. I just loved being a CPST and helping families. I loved the feeling that the children I helped would be safe in their families vehicles from here on out.

This past spring I even had a mom email b/c she had been an a pretty bad SIP crash with her family in the vehicle. I had helped her last fall before the accident. She was grateful for everything I educated her on as her girls both walked away with no injuries even though 1 took the full impact on her side.

That right there reafirmed to me that this is what I really want to do with my career.

J

jcarilyn

I think it's important to remember that the role of a CPS Tech is to educate caregivers on the correct installation and use of their CR. It's about learning the lastest recommendations, taking additional classes or seminars so that you can present the best information to all caregivers.

Enforcement is not our issue, and nor should it ever be. I don't think any of us would want to be confronted by a stranger about our child's safety. In the last class I went to, many of the cops who were there could only focus on the enforcments of the laws, not the safety of the child. There's no quicker way to turn someone off to what you are saying than to jump in their face with laws and demands.

As certified Techs, we have a responsibility to educate, not to enforce. We don't want caregivers to feel badly if the seat is installed incorrectly, we want to educate them on the importance of it being installed correctly. Most times, they don't know, as the manuals are very hard to understand, even for techs!

I've been a tech for 6 years, and we see all kinds of people from all kinds of walks of life. I just hope I've been able to educate them all in the best way to transport their children.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
What is your job? Its a paid position right? How did you find it?

Check to see if there are any other local classes. Like others mine was only $60 too.

I am one of the lucky ones that has since found a CPS position in our local hospital. I love that I get paid for what I love to do.

But, Even before I found my dream job. I just loved being a CPST and helping families. I loved the feeling that the children I helped would be safe in their families vehicles from here on out.

This past spring I even had a mom email b/c she had been an a pretty bad SIP crash with her family in the vehicle. I had helped her last fall before the accident. She was grateful for everything I educated her on as her girls both walked away with no injuries even though 1 took the full impact on her side.

That right there reafirmed to me that this is what I really want to do with my career.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
what is your zip code? The classes are all the same I think some just take a bit more time depending on the teachers. Where did you find the expensive one? Through safe kids?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I think it's important to remember that the role of a CPS Tech is to educate caregivers on the correct installation and use of their CR. It's about learning the lastest recommendations, taking additional classes or seminars so that you can present the best information to all caregivers.

Enforcement is not our issue, and nor should it ever be. I don't think any of us would want to be confronted by a stranger about our child's safety. In the last class I went to, many of the cops who were there could only focus on the enforcments of the laws, not the safety of the child. There's no quicker way to turn someone off to what you are saying than to jump in their face with laws and demands.

As certified Techs, we have a responsibility to educate, not to enforce. We don't want caregivers to feel badly if the seat is installed incorrectly, we want to educate them on the importance of it being installed correctly. Most times, they don't know, as the manuals are very hard to understand, even for techs!

I've been a tech for 6 years, and we see all kinds of people from all kinds of walks of life. I just hope I've been able to educate them all in the best way to transport their children.

I understand this. I have been educating to the best of my ability without being a tech. I have wracked my brains for ways to spread the word of best practice, and I've done every last one of them. I've been on the news, made brochures, donated seats, sent emails, etc. I just get frustrated with care givers who know the safety information, yet choose to ignore it. That's when I would want to pull out a badge. :p

And for the pp who asked where I found my class rate, it was from my state's government website. Apparently my state gives classes. I'll have to check out the other link. Even then, I'll only be able to do it if it's offered during the summer, as my dh teaches and he wouldn't be able to watch the girls otherwise.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC