I know where OHS car seats go to die!

amy919

Tutor Time parents have them all! I'm constantly looking in people's cars when I drop off and pick up my kids from school. It seems like everyone has OHS seats. So I started counting. SIX. Today alone, I saw SIX. Is that incredible to anyone else?

And just as an aside, my personal favorite was the FF OHS that a 10 month old was being put into.

What is the fascination with these seats? I am completely baffled!

My kids go to an expensive school in an expensive area. A lot of the parents are executives, a couple of doctors, several lawyers - mostly well educated people who are driving BMWs and Mercedes. I'm sorry, but if you can afford a $50K car, you can certainly do better than a $40 OHS Scenera.

I have never seen a Radian, Regent or Recaro. I have seen 3 Britax seats at most and a bunch of AOEs. I might count those tomorrow:p . I've created a new game for myself.

Of course, to be fair, there are a bunch of Sienna's and Odyssey's that I can't see in to check out the seats. Damn those tinted windows!

Amy

ADS

easterbun

I can't see in to check out the seats. Damn those tinted windows!

I know, I hate that I have tinted windows for this very reason - I can't show off my seats, or that I have 3-across in a *small* car!

However, the fact that my car acts less like an oven is worth it, so I won't complain too much :whistle:

ThreeBeans

Yeah, it irritates me that I can't show off my mad 3-across skillz and my blingy seats what with the tinted windows and all :p

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I had no idea Philly was so much like Pittsburgh - I really can't count how many OHS seats I see a day, mostly because it would probably send me spiraling into a deep depression...

I did install one today at my monthly seat check though... For the record, the aunt (it wasn't to be an every-day seat, just a very infrequent kind of thing) has bad carpal tunnel in her hands, and apparently her sister has something with a puzzle buckle that she can't do (she described it perfectly "there's two parts, and they have to fit together just so, and THEN they have to go into ANOTHER thing - crazy!:p ).

She also said she picked it because the shield seemed "safer" to her - I explained that generally 5 point harnesses are safer, but the safest seat is one she can use correctly - if she can't get it buckled, then it's worthless. So yeah, I did it. And I hated it, but alas.

On another note, my non-carpal-tunnel-or-arthritis-hands neighbors have a OHS. It's been installed FFing since they moved in... when their daughter was 7 months old and 15 pounds :mad: Why is that a good idea to ANYBODY??? :confused:

cryswilkins

My Nephew was in an EXPIRED hand me down OHS for a bit. :doh: Then they went on a long car trip and he screamed the whole time. I mentioned that it was probably because he hated the seat. :whistle: So they bought him a new 5 point. An AIO, but it was better than nothing.....

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The worst seat I've ever seen was a very old OHS (early 80's model with the metal bars for the frame) with a child who was 5-6 years old sitting in it (yes, his head was way over the top of the seat), no harness, with just the shield lowered in front of him. This was pulling out of a private school in the back of a BMW.

Seeing as how this was before Idaho's seat laws went to 6 years old, I can't imagine what they were thinking. :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC