Subaru Forester and Regent? If not Regent then what?

mom of big kid

Hi Everyone!

Again I am looking to all you guys for help with carseats. I have gotten such good help and advice here, thanks.

I have a Subaru 2001 Forester (not latch). I had always planned on getting a Britax Regent for my DD when she gets kicked out of her Marathon by her baby sister (currently in a graco snugride). DD is 2.5 years old, 38" tall and 40lb.

From what I am reading in the forums, getting a Regent in a Forester is tricky at best. DH is pretty darned good at installation but I don't want to try to return a car seat that won't install at all. And I won't even touch the whole Regent Fiasco that is happening now, I barely understand it.

And to make it even harder to decide, I don't want this Forester forever. Someday (maybe in a year or three) I want to have a Honda Odyssey.

So what I want to know is:

1. If not the Regent, then what? I am really want a good safe carseat.

2. Will it install in a Forester?

thanks in advance for all your help and thoughts.

MoBK

ADS

twokidstwodogs

I used to own a Forester, and while I've never installed a Regent in it, it would be pretty big in that car. Even a Marathon seemed giant in it. (I'm assuming you've had top tether anchors retrofitted in it? You will definitely need those for a Regent, and would want them for any FF seat.)

What about keeping the older one in the Marathon until she outgrows it, and buying a Scenera for the little one? Your DD is tall, but she will almost certainly get another two years out of the MA. When she outgrows it, you can then pass it along to the little one until it expires. By that point, there might be some good, smaller alternatives to the Regent on the market. (These new Recaro seats certainly sound promising and might be more manageable in a Forester.) Or you'll have an Odyssey and can fit any darned seat you want in it!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have a 2003 Forester. I have installed a Husky and it does fit, but it is huge. I have installed a Marathon and a Radian65 in the outboard seats with far-from-petite people in the front driver and passenger seats: the installations were solid and everyone was reasonably comfortable.

mom of big kid

Thanks for the posts!

I don't know anything about retrofitting any tethers in our forester, from what I know we have always gotten rock solid installs that totally comply with the manual so I am not worried.

And yesterday when I was putting DD in her Marathon, I did have the thought that we have a whole slot above to go before she can't use it anymore. Maybe if I got a super good deal on a marathon I should just do 2 marathons for now. The new baby is a much much smaller kid, nothing like her big 'big' sister. The Marathons are so easy to install and go on sale more often too.

I am pretty sure I still have a couple months to figure it out and I appreciate any input anyone has.

thank you!

twokidstwodogs

I don't know anything about retrofitting any tethers in our forester, from what I know we have always gotten rock solid installs that totally comply with the manual so I am not worried.

I also got rock solid seatbelt installs in my 1999 Forester, but I still thought it was a good idea to put in the top tether anchors. They reduce head excursion considerably during a crash, which is why they are part of LATCH. They really do improve the safety of the install by keeping the top part of the shell close to the seat in the event of a crash. I think it's even more important in a car like a Forester that has a small backseat. The force of a crash can throw even a harnessed child in a well-installed seat far enough forward to hit the seat in front. Top tethering reduces that likelihood. I got charged $50 for a top tether anchor, but my brother, who gets his Forester serviced by the dealer, got his installed for free! It's definitely worth doing; I think you could ask anyone on this board and they'd agree.

abby

Hi,
We have had a Regent and a Wizard in our 2004 forester with Latch, at separate times, and they both fit very well (passenger outboard). Its funny I know the regent is big but it just doesnt seem to be worse than the wizard in terms of crowding. It does sit lower so kids can't see things out the window as well, but the side impact things on the wizard blocked the view anyhow(Boulevard looks better in terms of the SIP design, less constricting.)Your marathon wouldn't have the SIP so that wouldnt be a prob for you, though. Anyhow one wrinkle is, we have the regent in without the removeable bar in back, and I think my husband said it wasnt as solid an install with the bar (this is Latch). Used to be that Britax said it was OK to not use the bar but I just heard about the recall info and it seems the bar is now required for all installs. I will have to check on it.
Abby

clmmom

I believe Subaru started putting anchors and tethers in all their vehicles in 2001 before it was required, so you should already have the tethers. I had a 2001 Outback with latch. oops, I missed the "(not latch)" when I read it the first time. I guess they didn't do all 2001 models after all.

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Subaru included factory equipped top tether anchors in the Forester starting in the 2000 model year, so the OP's 2001 model should already have them. There are 3 top tether anchors in the 2000 and newer Foresters, located in the rear ceiling above the cargo area according to the LATCH manual. :) No lower LATCH anchors until the '03 model year for the Forester, though. The top tether must be used for Regent installations for a child weighing 50 lbs. or more, and it's generally good to top tether any forward facing harnessed seat to help reduce head excursion in the event of a crash.

Splash

The "old" directions it could have been done fine. Not anymore. The seat will not fit in the car with the recline bar used.

mom of big kid

Thank you all so much! It still blows my mind how much you know!!!

I will check out our top tethers and get DH to use them.

I have been reading more and I think Splash has nailed it, thanks. No Regent for us.

So what is another good seat that competes with the regent for safety and longevity of use? One of the things I liked most about the regent is that we could have DD be in a 5 pt harness like, forever!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC