Sweating and cursing, but I got it--Husky SBP second try

scatterbunny

I am sitting here dripping with sweat after reinstalling Hayley's Husky in the middle row captain's chair, SBP. I couldn't do it the other day, the buckle stalks are attached to the captain's chair, they are really long and covered in rigid plastic and bolted in such a way that they only swivel upward so far. LBP had the belt angled perfectly to match up with the buckle stalk; SBP I had to crank on that buckle stalk so much that I actually broke the plastic housing the buckle stalk. :eek: The webbing is fine, but the plastic around it broke. I can't twist the buckle stalk, so the latchplate is behind the carseat shell, pressing up against the seat shell and outside of the belt path. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it, and it's preventing a perfect install, IMO, because it wiggles about half an inch at the belt path, more toward the front of the seat. But it's acceptable...just not by MY standards for MY seats. :rolleyes: I could see this install loosening over time, too. I just don't like where the latchplate ends up, but there's no other way around it.

ADS

keri1292

Hmmm...you've given me hope, as a fellow 99 Windstar owner. Is the plastic over the buckle removable? By removable, I mean breakable. :D Would Ford possibly OK the removal of the plastic? Or would that not help the install? I haven't tried mine yet, since my recline bar is AWOL. Perhaps I'll have time to call Britax tommorow.
At least I know that it CAN be done albeit not as nice and easy/tight as the LBP. Ugh! My dh thinks I'm nutso as is. Wait til he witnesses ME vs. the Husky SBP. Cheer for me! :p

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
Well, at least you won that battle (hopefully you won't have to battle again:eek: ). I'd call Ford and make sure it's ok that the buckle housing broke. Britax should also be notified, their new installation guidelines caused your car to break!! I know someone else who is running into the same problem. At the moment I'm loving my Radian, even with it's PITB instals;)

twom

Did you use the recline bar? Do you feel better about it this way? I know in the Husky manual and on the patch on the side of the Husky, when showing the SBP lap/shoulder install it is without the recline bar, and nowhere in the instructions for that install do they mention installing the recline bar. It doesn't say you can't do it, but it doesn't say you can either. So do you feel safer with it using the new Regent instructions even if it doesn't go with the Husky manual? I'm still debating about this myself, but I think I'm probably going to just go with the Husky manual unless we learn something concrete about why they're making the changes.

Mama2J

Glad you got it to work Jenny! Too bad your seatbelt had to get broken though. I had the opposite problem this morning - sweating and cursing caused by the LBP and recline!

scatterbunny

Yes, I used the recline bar. I really can't make up my mind about this whole thing. I don't know if I feel comfortable using it by the old instructions, or if I feel comfortable using it by the Regent instructions. I really get the feeling they didn't test the Husky like they did the Regent because it's an old product that they don't make anymore, and if that's the case, how do we really know what's safer/safest?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC