Angle of the seat=no leg room :( (pics)

todzwife

I got an amazingly tight install in the captains chair of our new Sienna with DD2's Coccoro but the angle took all of her leg room!(just a little bit more upright than the line on the side). I can't get a good install with the seat belt, so I used the latch which rotated it forward a couple of inches. If I was able to recline it a little more it would free up some leg space but she was NOT happy in it like this.

The seats are VERY sloped, the MA70 was WAY too upright, she was falling forward (I sold it last night to a friend of mine who needed it)

I'm going to try the Radian 65 we have in DH's car when he comes home for lunch, but if that doesn't work-what's a good RFing seat that works well with sloped vehicle seats?

Here it is installed in our other vehicle about 6 months ago. Obviously she's grown some, but she's all torso (she wears 12 month pants, 18-24 shirts).
toocool.jpg

and this morning when I tried to smash her in there...
squished.jpg

ADS

BabyKaykes

If it messes up your install then it's a no-no.

I place the vehicle seat 3-clicks back, get a tight install, then pull the seat back up a click.

luckyclov

How was the MA70 too upright?:confused:
RFing MA70 is my favorite to install in my Sienna captains chairs. Right now, mine is around 35 degrees, but we've been as reclined as 40 degrees without an issue.

The CCO has to have a level-to-ground line for proper installation. Did you try a noodle? Sometimes if you over-recline the CCO while you begin installing, by the time you're done, it's fine. If she's not comfortable at the proper angle, you may want to try another seat. The Radian installs fine there. I don't consider the slope to the seats significant, but my previous vehicle was a Grand Caravan, which has a very dramatic slope.

NannyMom

i think OP must have a 2011+ sienna. In which case, the Radian should be wonderful. You can also try a TFP if you want.

todzwife

I wonder if having leather seats made it different than yours?

So I reclined the seat all the way back, installed it, got it tight (but about 1" of movement) then moved the seat back up a couple of clicks. It's 1 click further back than it was and it's still super tight after moving the seat back up. Is that ok?

I need to try her in it, but she's asleep...

luckyclov

i think OP must have a 2011+ sienna. In which case, the Radian should be wonderful. You can also try a TFP if you want.
She does. She has a 2012. I have a 2011.

I wonder if having leather seats made it different than yours?
The seat dynamics are the same between the 2011 and 2012. There may be a difference between leather and cloth (I hate leather:p), but I can't imagine it's anything particularly remarkable. Usually, vehicle seats with some sloping are pretty favorable for installing RFing seats. For as much as I loathed my previous minivan ('09 Grand Caravan) because of the ridiculously sloped seat bottoms with FF seats and boosters, they were a dream for RFing seats.

So I reclined the seat all the way back, installed it, got it tight (but about 1" of movement) then moved the seat back up a couple of clicks. It's 1 click further back than it was and it's still super tight after moving the seat back up. Is that ok?
It *should* be fine as long as the seatback is not super reclined. A picture, on level ground, from outside the vehicle may be helpful. :) As long as your CCO has 1" or less of movement at the belt path front-to-back and side-to-side and your line is level to the (flat) ground, you're good to go. If I were you, though, I'd call Combi and ask them to send you a block. It's more for stability vs. angling, but you may find it beneficial.

todzwife

She does. She has a 2012. I have a 2011.

The seat dynamics are the same between the 2011 and 2012. There may be a difference between leather and cloth (I hate leather:p), but I can't imagine it's anything particularly remarkable. Usually, vehicle seats with some sloping are pretty favorable for installing RFing seats. For as much as I loathed my previous minivan ('09 Grand Caravan) because of the ridiculously sloped seat bottoms with FF seats and boosters, they were a dream for RFing seats.

It *should* be fine as long as the seatback is not super reclined. A picture, on level ground, from outside the vehicle may be helpful. :) As long as your CCO has 1" or less of movement at the belt path front-to-back and side-to-side and your line is level to the (flat) ground, you're good to go. If I were you, though, I'd call Combi and ask them to send you a block. It's more for stability vs. angling, but you may find it beneficial.

Thank you (again) for all your help, I wish I could give you more rep but it says I need to share it with others first LOL! I'll get a pic- BRB.

todzwife

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately there aren't any techs in the area.:(

Here are some pics. I was standing level to the ground, just squatted so I was down at the level of the seat:

Without wedge:
withoutwedge.jpg

Without wedge from across the van:
woutwedge.jpg

With wedge (am I using it right?)
withwedge.jpg

It has a little bit of movement (less than 1 inch though) with the seat reclined in that position. If I move it up 1 click, the movement goes away completely.

If this is not an acceptable install, I'll go ahead and put the Radian in now.

luckyclov

Personally, I don't like how reclined the seatback is. But the final say belongs to Toyota. They (usually) have great customer service, I would call ask how many clicks back is acceptable for installation (specify a RF installation and know how many clicks back you've got it *before* you call). IF your installation is acceptable (angle and movement) otherwise, you just need to make sure your seatback situation is OK before calling it a day.

It doesn't look like your line is level to the ground, though. Are you sure you can't get a good install with the seatbelt? Sometimes it's easier to over-recline the CCO with a seatbelt install...then, once you're done tightning, it's about right (the line). Another trick is to place more pressure down at the back/inside/bottom as opposed to up of the belt path by the feet...by placing your pressure there, you're pushing the CCO down more, making the install more upright. Do you have a noodle?

OR...go ahead and break out the Radian now.:p

todzwife

Yeah, I'm not loving it but I'm guessing if I messed with it for another hour I could get it to work right:rolleyes:.

So...I installed the Radian. It is AMAZING in there! Pretty darn upright for the Radian!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC