Would you NOT buy a car because it doesn't have a center seat?

luna2324

We are about to buy a car and having a tough time figuring out what to buy. My thread from last night- http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=201825

Today we looked at the Mazda5, and we really liked the car but I was thrown off by it's lack of a center seat in the 2nd row. DD2 will be RF in a Radian, and I just imagine I'd be so anxious with her in an outboard seat. I know eventually she will have to, as we'd like another baby within a few years, so I'm wondering what you guys think!? Also, she's always been a terrible car rider, a lot of crying and it takes constant interaction sometimes. Having her in the middle back seat is awesome because we can reach back and "be" with her. I think having her RF in the 3rd row would be so stressful, I couldn't hand her snacks or a stuffed animal or anything. And how do mirrors work with those 3rd row seats?

Another point to consider... she WILL outgrow this hatred of being in the car... RIGHT?!?!?! It takes so much work to just drive home sometimes! Or, do I just bite the bullet and install a DVD player? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the perfect car becomes available, and 2 outboard seats is the only negative about the car, does it negate all the positives? I know it's a personal decision, but what would YOU do?!

ADS

lynsgirl

Welcome! I'm so glad you found us. This board is true wealth of information and knowledge.

The Mazda5 is a safe vehicle and I don't think it would be a bad choice at all. Hopefully, someone who has one will jump in with more info on it, but I do know it's got good ratings and several of our members here have one.

As far as not having a center seat, you are correct that the center is the safest place to be. However, being outboard isn't UNsafe and I wouldn't let that particular lack kill a deal for me. Statistically, a RF child is safer than a FF child almost always, so a RF Radian in an outboard seat in a vehicle like the Mazda5 (which I believe has side curtain airbags?) is still very, very safe. I honestly would not worry at all. I can say I would do the same with my own children, because I have a Sienna that's completely full, with 4 kids out of 6 riding outboard lol!

I completely understand having a terrible car-rider. Oh my goodness the noise and drama sometimes. My 2.5yo dd has gotten a lot better than she used to be, thankfully, but my 5 mos old has decided HE hates riding in the car, so we're still riding around with crying :rolleyes: :p. It *will* get better. My 5yo used to be terrible as a baby/toddler in the car, too, and he's totally fine now :).

Again, welcome and I'm glad you're asking the right questions and thinking through! You're doing great!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In general, I wouldn't have a problem with an outboard seat. My kids have usually ridden in outboard seats. Yes, the center is a little safer, but if the kids are in correctly installed and used child seats (especially rear-facing ones), the risk is so lot that a little safer isn't a big deal, if you know what I mean. Plus, new cars and carseats are a lot safer in side impacts than the ones used in the obsolete studies we have on center vs. outboard.

That said, the 2012 Mazda5 has no crash test results at all. That's my biggest issue with it. Plus, don't count on having a rear-facing seat in the third row. A relatively upright Britax Marathon 70 barely fits. Others, like a Radian, will probably not fit.

http://carseatblog.com/13683/it-put...ivan-the-mazda-5-kids-carseats-safety-review/

skipspin

Plus, don't count on having a rear-facing seat in the third row. A relatively upright Britax Marathon 70 barely fits. Others, like a Radian, will probably not fit.

http://carseatblog.com/13683/it-put...ivan-the-mazda-5-kids-carseats-safety-review/

The Coccoro and MyRide also fit rear-facing in the third row- the Coccoro with quite a bit of room and the MR being a tighter fit. I have an 08, and the '11 is slightly larger, but I'm not sure if any space got added to the third row at all.

luckyclov

I've never been one to grumble and stress over having kids outboard. In fact, I never even had a child who rode center until my oldest was 8 and moved to the center of the 3rd row in his highback booster.

Sure, the center of the 2nd row/backseat may be the safest position in the vehicle. But I know that by having my children in properly installed, properly fit & properly used (110% of the time) seats and by making sure I'm undistracted and driving defensively, they are VERY safe. Safer than most other kids on the road, even those in center seats, when you consider the shocking general misuse rate.

I had a 5 a few years ago (2008) and LOVED it. It was 2 vehicles ago and I STILL miss it. At the time, I just had 2 kids. My oldest rode driver side outboard in a HBB and my DD, then the youngest, rode passenger side outboard in a 5-point harness. I can honestly say I *never* doubted NOT having a center seating position. If I hadn't of had a 3rd baby, or our needs and time IN the car weren't so demanding, I would still be driving it.:)

sfaqt18

Nope....I'm buying a Toyota sienna in a few months and I want the 7 seat vs the 8! I hate the center seat. I feel like its in the way and on the Sienna I particular is not made well anyways!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Um, my vehicle has a center seat ('11 Traverse) and I have dd (27mo) rear facing in her Radian XT outboard with no one in the center. And actually, come to think of it...I have 4 kids at home, and all of my children are outboard. No one uses the center seats.

Though I am about to play with seats and see if I can get a 3 across the middle row (dd will still be outboard in her Radian regardless). But that's because the boys want to be in the middle row. I have no idea if I can do it, but I'm going to try. LOL

Chely7425

I have (almost) 4 kids and all are/will be outboard as well, even after the accident we were in last month. The baby *may* end up center once my oldest goes FFing just to make it easier to him to get to his seat but them all being outboard doesn't concern me in the least.

amyd

I drive a 5 and am not concerned about my boys being outboard. Even when we had one child and a sedan, he rode outboard. I wasn't comfortable with the install I achieved in the middle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC