Another minivan thread - question about passenger room

jjordan

So, we'll probably be buying a (used) minivan within the next few months or year. We're trying to decide if we want an 8 passenger, or if a 7 passenger van is enough. My issue is that I hear about troubles getting 3 across in the third row of a minivan, and if it's a 7 passenger minivan, then you can only really fit 6 if you can't get 3 across in the back, right?

So I guess my question is, is a 7 passenger van realisitically a 6 passenger van? And an 8 passenger van realistically a 7 passenger van? Which vans are particularly good or bad at fitting the number of passengers that they claim to fit?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Many third row seats won't do 3-across, at least not easily. If you have older kids in narrow boosters or seatbelts, you can still get three passengers back there.

At least if you get a used Sienna with the 8th seat option, you know you can do three across in the middle row and 2 in the third row.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I would DEFINITELY get 8 passenger. We had an 8 passenger Montana, moved to a 7 passenger Town and Country and I miss that 3 across the center SOOOOO much! It is VERY difficult to do 3 across the back, though it is possible with a lot of blood sweat and tears.

We are going back to 8-passenger as soon as I can afford to unload this van!

Chely7425

Our 2005 Sienna was a 7 pass and we could do a few different 3 acrosses in the 3rd row. Our new 2008 Sienna is an 8 pass and there are some things I like about it and some I don't. I do like the extra flexibility.

kam1011

Is there more or less room in the third row of a Pilot? I'm also shopping for 8 passenger vehicles but I haven't decided between the minivan or SUV. I have three kids and I'd like to have room for six in the back so they can each have a friend when the time comes. (They're little, only my oldest ever has friends in the car now.)

mkmama

So, we'll probably be buying a (used) minivan within the next few months or year. We're trying to decide if we want an 8 passenger, or if a 7 passenger van is enough. My issue is that I hear about troubles getting 3 across in the third row of a minivan, and if it's a 7 passenger minivan, then you can only really fit 6 if you can't get 3 across in the back, right?

So I guess my question is, is a 7 passenger van realisitically a 6 passenger van? And an 8 passenger van realistically a 7 passenger van? Which vans are particularly good or bad at fitting the number of passengers that they claim to fit?

I can get 3 across in my Sienna's 3rd row...but it wouldn't be easy unless I had children in seatbelts only or my Radian (which is how I do it now). Same with the Windstar I had before; 3 across was doable, but not much fun, and required at least one Radian or non-car seat passenger.

We bought the 8 passenger because we have the 4th child on the way, but honestly, its SO much better than a 7 passenger even with "just" 3 children.

With the 8 passenger, I can more easily situate children where I can reach them and I have more flexibility for seating options, which is especially helpful with carpooling/bringing friends somewhere. Its also nice to have the extra flexibility for long trips, when usual seating positions don't work for some reason (ie, need DS1 next to DD for trips so he can hand her stuff, whereas they're not next to each other for day-to-day travel).

And for the Sienna at least, you can remove the 8th seat and have a 7 passenger (minus inside arm rests on the captains chairs) if you find that you really don't like the configuration of an 8 passenger...but I find it much easier for kids to get in the 3rd row (and me to buckle said children) by flipping captains chairs than it ever was for them to climb down the middle row in the 7 passenger.

Is there more or less room in the third row of a Pilot? I'm also shopping for 8 passenger vehicles but I haven't decided between the minivan or SUV. I have three kids and I'd like to have room for six in the back so they can each have a friend when the time comes. (They're little, only my oldest ever has friends in the car now.)

No experience with the Pilot itself, but in general, SUV's have MUCH less passenger and cargo room than mini-vans -- its one of the main reasons we're a mini-van family despite the fact that 4wd would be a very nice option about 5-6 months out of the year where we live.

NVMBR02

We were debating between the Pilot and the Odyessy and the third row (at least in the 2011/12 models) has about the same about of room. I think the Ody had a bit more room (an inch or so) which can make a difference if you will be needing to do 3 across frequently. There is quite a bit more cargo room with the van, so that is something to consider.

We don't have extra passengers very often and rarely need extra cargo room so we are going with the SUV for the 4 wheel drive.

todzwife

We just got a 2012 Sienna this week and I could get 3 across back there. I'm so used to being smashed, we have the narrowest seats on the market (Radian, Coccoro, parkway) and they'd fit back there no problem. I think it depends on the seats you have and if they are narrow enough or puzzle well.

jjordan

Thanks everyone - I am pretty sold on an 8 passenger at this point, but it's a matter of convincing dh. :) Finances are also a factor, and of course you can get a minivan with comparable age/miles for much cheaper if you go for a 7 passenger (since the only 8 passenger vans also happen to be the more expensive ones). So we'll see what we end up with. I very much appreciate all of your input!

Pixels

Thanks everyone - I am pretty sold on an 8 passenger at this point, but it's a matter of convincing dh. :) Finances are also a factor, and of course you can get a minivan with comparable age/miles for much cheaper if you go for a 7 passenger (since the only 8 passenger vans also happen to be the more expensive ones). So we'll see what we end up with. I very much appreciate all of your input!

We're shopping right now as well, just a bit ahead of you in the process.

While the 8th seat was an option (or standard?) on the higher trim levels of the Odyssey, 8 passengers was only optional on the bottom two trim levels of the Sienna. I'm talking 04-10 Siennas and 05-10 Odysseys, because that's the generation we're looking at.

Odyssey trim levels: LX, EX, EX-L, Touring. 8th seat available on EX and higher trims.
Sienna trim levels: CE, LE, XLE, XLE Limited or Limited in later years. 8th seat available on CE and LE only.

We went and looked at these vans today, mostly looking at 7 vs 8 passenger. We don't really care for the Odyssey 8-pass, because the 8th seat is narrow and uncomfortable. It would be doable if you had the right carseats or for a small to average adult for a short trip, but no more. The third row also seemed narrower, and had hinges placed even further in so RFing seats might not work so well. We much preferred the Sienna's 8 passenger.

DH was very resistant to 8 passenger until we went to look at them. He wanted to be able to easily get into the van to buckle kids without standing outside in the weather, and he thought that wouldn't work well without an aisle. Now he's seen how easy it is to tumble a 2nd row seat, and how readily a 2nd row seat comes out. He's thinking we'll take a 2nd row seat out and store it in the house somewhere, to make a walkway. Then we still have the option to put it back and have 3-across and have the third row seats down for cargo area if we want.

Mags462

I bought a 2005 7 passenger because i didn't want to always have to store that 8th seat (which we won't use - we are done with 3 kids) and the fact that you lose arm rests on the captains chairs going with the 8 seater i did NOT like.

So we chose 7 passenger - and fwiw i did a three across two weeks ago which involved a turbo and two TF's.... so yep you can fit a LOT back there 3 across wise if necessary ;)

NannyMom

My 8 passenger Sienna is an 8 passenger. But, I keep seats that I need to make that 3rd row 3 across possible, even if they aren't seats I'd regularly use. I've found I can get 3 across with FR85 and 2 Radians. Even FR85, RSTV, RF TFP will fit. If you are willing to keep seats for kids that aren't really yours, but will make the 3 across work, than it's not a problem.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

The 2nd row of the current generation Pilot is among the best midsize SUVs for 3-across. It's still not as good as the 2nd row of the 2011-2012 Odyssey or the 2004-2010 Sienna 8-passenger models.

As for the third row, the 3rd row of the current Pilot is quite small. 3-across with carseats will be nearly impossible. If you want three in back, figure on a narrow booster and a couple kids in seatbelts;-)

The third row in most minivans will be a little wider in general, but really not all that much. Some, like the 2004-2010 Sienna, have enough extra width to fit some carefully chosen 3-across setups.

http://carseatblog.com/14535/2012-honda-pilot-review-kids-carseats-safety/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC