Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checklist

Checklist

Does anyone have a link to a checklist of the requirements for moving a child from a 5 point harness to a highback booster?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    I dont but I know they have to meet the requirements for the booster height and weight, and be able to sit still 100% of the time, which for most kids isnt til 5 or 6. It alo depends on the state, there quite a few states that require kids to be 4.

CPS Fanatic

Re: Checklist

There isn't a checklist that I know of for moving a child from a harness to a booster seat. There is a 5 step test for when it's okay for a child to move from the booster seat to the regular seatbelt.

Can you tell us about the child? Maybe we can give you some suggestions about what seat would be most appropriate for the child. In generally, most children are not mature enough to sit in a booster seat properly until they are 5 or 6 years old. Unfortunately, with seats that have minimums of 30lbs and 3yo, there are a lot of children who are in booster seats who do not sit in it properly.

Melanie

It's not my child. My almost 5YO is still in a 5 point harness, but my friend just bought a graco turbo booster and I fear her sweet child isn't ready for it yet. I just wanted some info to give her.

Her boy just turned 2 last month and is over 40 lbs she says, and meets the minimum height requirement, however, the slot where the seat belt goes is at the top of his ear.

Since he is under 4, there is no way he is booster ready.

No way I would put 2 years olds in a booster... it's not safe for them since they can submarine under the belt. Not including that he's 2. 2 years old have no impulse control or ready for a booster.

He can go into a combination seat or preferred get a long lasting convertible seat where he can RF but he's 40 lbs and the only seat he can RF in is the Diono Radian R120 and RXT and that will only give 5 lbs of time.

So combination seat is good here. They can look in a Graco Nautilus, Recaro ProSport, or Britax Frontier85. They all will convert to a booster when he's much older so....

On my faithful sidekick Don't text and drive... It may save a life!
    Tiffany, Mama to my lil ladybug, Kianna, 11/10/13, riding in a Graco 4Ever and Cosco NEXT, TTC#2 who will get either Graco 4Ever or Britax B-Safe35.
    All ride safe in 2015 Chevrolet Trax

Thanks.

My almost 5 yo Is in a nauti and my 6 mo is in a myride 65. I told her about a sale for her new baby coming, she wanted to buy a second hand carseat off KIJIJI and I told her no, so she went to the sale and ended up buying the booster for her older child and nothing for the new baby. *sigh*

I think the only reason she got it was cause it was $40! Being thrifty isn't always good.

Doesn't the Turbobooster have an age 3 minimum? I would show her the laws for your state.

This website has a link to the new recommendations for using car seats and also there's a link right below that to check the laws of each state.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS
    PEG - CPST & Gramma to:
    Hannah - 13 - Seatbelt!
    Brett - 11.5 - Seatbelt
    Matt- 8 - Pkwy/Monterey
    Griffin - 3 - PVC/Size4Me/Guide65/Fllo

These you tube videos could drive home the point that a 2 year old isn't ready for a booster seat. It's been awhile since I looked at any of the links, so they may not all work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04"]The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Belle's Gift - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ&feature=related"]Importance of a 5-Point Harness Carseat - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA9Q0fVzqU4&feature=related"]Isabelle Broadhead// car seat safety (awarness video) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPBSEQ4xbTw&feature=related"]The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Advice - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59s3PjcntQ"]Toni's Legacy - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM"]5 point harness vs. booster seat crash test - YouTube[/ame]
    PEG - CPST & Gramma to:
    Hannah - 13 - Seatbelt!
    Brett - 11.5 - Seatbelt
    Matt- 8 - Pkwy/Monterey
    Griffin - 3 - PVC/Size4Me/Guide65/Fllo

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

A just-turned-2yo is absolutely no way no how ready for a booster, and it's illegal in most states because the Turbobooster has a 3yo minimum.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart