Question Pet Barrier Safety in SUVs

ProudMommysince09

Since finding this board I've really become more car safety conscious, (past me buckling up) I used to have tons of projectiles.. Anyway, I was wondering about my pet barrier that I have in my car that I got shortly after the dog (she ate 2 seatbelts within minutes) I'm not sure how safe that thing is :eek:?
It's this one from petsmart.

Do you guys know anything about them? :)

(sorry if it's in the wrong part of the forum)

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If it is pressure mounted, it won't work in a crash. It must be screwed in the the vehicle. Think of a crash. The shape of the car changes. I had a little fended bender. Seriously nothing. The adjuster came out and showed me how my whole side panel had moved!

ProudMommysince09

Thanks, Judi. I think it is pressure-mounted if I'm understanding that correctly, it's not attached to the car at all. Just adjust the screws until it is tight in there, I can push it hard and it moves to get back to the back bottom storage space. :eek:

So I should obviously take it out, would you replace it with a screw-in one, or just rely on the little (I don't know what they're called but it came with the car) roll-cover?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would go screw in for you dog, since he chews. For most everyone else, I would suggest a Bergen harness, and hook him to a tie down.

In a crash, with a dog, so much can happen. The dog can be a projectile and kill someone. The dog can freak and run away, or hurt a firefighter, police, or someone else. The dog, of course, can get hurt.

ProudMommysince09

I have something similar to that Bergen harness, that's what we now use for her, her favorite spot is in the back next to DD. Luckily she outgrew the chewing (at least in the car) so I just want something to keep all the stuff that I have in the trunk 'contained'.
The big heavy things are BOB, a heavy tripod, a potty :p etc. so I'm not sure if that 'cargo cover' is enough to hold it in :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC