2004/05-2010 Sienna and Odyssey questions

Pixels

I'm looking at the 2004-2010 generation of Siennas and 2005-2010 generation of Odysseys. I have a few questions for owners.

Which one do you have? Year/model/trim level/7 vs 8 passenger

Do you think 8 passenger is desirable for a family of 5? I'm leaning towards the 8-passenger but DH wants to have the space in the second row so we can get in the vehicle to buckle kids. We could take out one of the seats but then we'd have to store it in the house somewhere.

On the subject of taking out those second row seats, how heavy/awkward are they? Is it reasonable for one person to do solo?

Second and third row, how high do the head restraints adjust? Tall enough for an average adult?

How three-across friendly is it? Both rows if you have an 8-passenger.

Radian-friendly?

Do you have air vents in both the second and third rows?

Anything else you want to tell me, pro or con, feel free. :)

ETA: How are the head restraints with seats? As in, do they push the restraint forward or interfere with installs? Harnesses and boosters, we'll probably keep it until it dies.

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The 2005 Ody had that weird tether anchor situation, so that's something to look into.

We had an '09 Odyssey and now have a '10.

We have always had the +1 seat removed. That allows for easy access to the third row. We currently have the passenger-side chair moved to the center so the opening is by the door.

Removing the +1 is very easy, and it's compact for storage. The captains chairs are heavier and not something I'd want to deal with removing/replacing or storing on a regular basis.

All head rests adjust high enough for an adult.

I've never tried three-across in any row. If people are able to get three-across in the third row, I don't know how they do it.

I'm pretty sure we have air vents in the third row because I think DS is always playing with them.

I've heard that generation of Odyssey doesn't play well with Radians but I haven't tried myself.

If it helps at all, our current set-up is Aton 2nd row driver's side, RF MyRide 2nd row passenger (but moved to center), and Nautilus 3rd row passenger.

lynsgirl

I'm looking at the 2004-2010 generation of Siennas and 2005-2010 generation of Odysseys. I have a few questions for owners.

2005 Sienna LE, 8-passenger

Do you think 8 passenger is desirable for a family of 5? I'm leaning towards the 8-passenger but DH wants to have the space in the second row so we can get in the vehicle to buckle kids. We could take out one of the seats but then we'd have to store it in the house somewhere.

Absolutely. We only had 3 kids when we bought it and I've loved it from Day 1. Honestly, it's not hard to buckle kids in the 2nd row and getting in the 3rd row, if you need to, is also easy. If you have all 3 in the 2nd row, it's really easy. If you have an infant seat, even easier. I've even easily had the infant seat in the center and lifted it past either a RF or FF seat to put it there. Buckling a RF convertible in the center is not hard, either. If you have 1 or more kids in the third row, the 2nd row seats tumble very easily, allowing access. For us, when we weren't using every available seat :p, we kept 2nd row OB seat folded, but not tumbled, for the older kids to just climb in themselves. Right now, I have a RF 2.5yo in the 3rd row, passenger side OB, with the only access point being driver's side OB 2nd row lol. It's working ok, but with 3 kids, you'd have many more options than I do with 6 ;).

On the subject of taking out those second row seats, how heavy/awkward are they? Is it reasonable for one person to do solo?

Taking out the seats is possible for one person, but they're kind of heavy. I wouldn't do it myself. Dh can do it himself easily. We've only ever done this when we needed to haul something big (like two times)

Second and third row, how high do the head restraints adjust? Tall enough for an average adult?

2nd row, they are the same headrests as the 1st row and adjust just as high, so yes. Third row, they are smaller/more compact head rests and still adjust high enough.

Holy heck, the 2nd row is a CPST's dream come true for 3 across :love:. I've had so many combinations, it's crazy. Space-wise, I've had 2 Regents and a RF convertible in the 2nd row. The freedom of movement for each individual seat is very helpful.
3rd row is trickier, but definitely possible and I've done a lot of combos back there, too.

Radian-friendly?

I don't know personally, but I know Christineka has an 07 8 passenger and has had Radians, so I'm guessing it works :)

Yes, both ceiling and floor vents, with rear controls and front controls for the rear.

Just that my van is 6 years old, just rolled over past 100K miles last night and I still :love: it. So much that I was peeved with the unfriendly 8-passenger model they changed to for 2011 :eek: and if we replaced our van ever (had a crash or something), we'd either look for 2010 or older OR switch to the 2011 Odyssey.
OH, I love that I have 5 full sets of LATCH to work with. Only thing I don't like is that the 3rd row TAs are only in the center and passenger's OB. Driver's OB has no TA, which means being slightly more creative with configurations, but hey, with 6 rear seating positions and 5 TAs to work with, I'm not going to complain too much lol.

ETA: How are the head restraints with seats? As in, do they push the restraint forward or interfere with installs? Harnesses and boosters, we'll probably keep it until it dies.

I remove headrests for any installed seats, including HBB. I obviously use them with backless boosters lol.

My answers in red.

Last edited:

lynsgirl

I thought of something else that's actually a con for me about my van. It does not have AWD - the 8 passenger only comes with FWD. I really, really wish I had both AWD and traction control, because I live in the frozen northland. So if those things matters to you, I'd consider that when you're deciding :).

bubbaray

Year/model/trim level/7 vs 8 passenger?

I had a 2005 Ody EX-L, which had the +8 seat.

I kept my +8 seat out unless we were going on a long road trip, then I re-installed it.

My DH could remove the 2nd row captains chairs by himself, but I couldn't. I could take the +8 seat out by myself.

Yes, high enough for me -- I'm 5'9" and have sat in the 2nd and 3rd rows comfortably (and I'm super picky about head rests).

I never installed a seat in the +8 seat, but its super narrow. I only ever had 1 restraint in the 3rd row, but IIRC others have successfully done 3 across in the 3rd row.

Radian-friendly?

Not in the 2nd row captains chairs, it was a huge PITA. The MA, FR and Monterey all worked well.

Ceiling air vents in all rows. Can't recall the floor vents.

How are the head restraints with seats? As in, do they push the restraint forward or interfere with installs? Harnesses and boosters, we'll probably keep it until it dies.

I used to remove the head rests to install seats in the 2nd row.

I would avoid the 2005 MY Ody because of the TA situation in the 3rd row. That was rectified in 2006 and onward (to 3 TAs in the 3rd row).

I really liked my Ody. I traded it in for a smaller vehicle that had 4WD (2010 RAV4, which I adore) -- DH got a bigger truck, so my vehicle didn't need to be able to haul the family!

ETA: the only mechanical stuff I had to deal with was my passenger sliding door motor crapped out just out of warranty, it was pricy to fix. I also had issues with the sliding door window motors not working, but those were fixed, multiple times, under warranty so I'm not sure of the cost. Both the door and window issues are known issues with Odys

mkmama

2008 Sienna LE 8 passenger

We are currently a family of 5 and bought the 8 passenger because of DC#4 on the way...but I LOVE the 8 passenger for 3 kids...SO much more than my 7 passenger I had before. I am able to get three kids across the center row easy-peasy, so I can stow the back seats for tons of cargo when needed. I also have room to spread the kids out, and have plenty of room for carpooling, and for grandparents, etc to ride with us. The Sienna allows the outboard captains chairs in middle row to be flipped up and attached to the handle on the side of the van (even while driving), so its actually easier for me to get to kids in the 3rd row to buckle than it was in my 7 passenger. Even if you aren't comfortable driving with them flipped, they're so easy to flip its no issue to flip them up out of the way to buckle 3rd row kids every time you get in/out then flip them back down while driving.

Haven't ever taken mine out because its so incredibly easy to flip them up/down...and this coming from someone who routinely had one of her seats from the 7 seater stowed in the house.

Yep, plenty tall. They're all also completely removeable.

VERY. I can put almost any combo in the second row I want...even had a Nautilus next to a RF'ing TrueFit. In the third row its a bit tighter...but if you have a Radian, still very possible. I've done Radian, MyRide, Radian all RF'ing...Turbobooster, Radian, Radian (both RF'ing)...TrueFit, Radian, MyRide (all RF'ing)...MyRide, Radian, Radian (all RF'ing) -- you get the picture. If you have a Radian for the middle, its decently generous on the drivers side to get something else in there, and very generous (as big as captains chair as far as I can tell) on the passenger side.

Radian-friendly?

Yep...for RF'ing outboard captains chairs is good, unless you need the front seats ALL the way back, in which case it won't work until the angle adjuster comes out (its so close I'm confident its going to work with the adjuster). Middle center row tends to overrecline with a larger child, but guessing that will also be fixed with angle adjuster. 3rd row I've put it in every position with no issue (braced). For FF'ing, I've had it in middle row outboard and center...and I *think* I've put it outboard in third row but not sure.

Yep.

Despite the fact that mine is VERY bare bones (it was a rental prior), it is by far my favorite van EVER...its that car seat/kid friendly. The only 'upgrade' I miss is electric sliding doors, but I think most '08 Siennas have at least one, mine just doesnt since its so stripped down.

The only complaint I have is that there is only two sets of LATCH (passenger and center) and only 2 top tethers in the third row...I really wish they would have put that last top tether in there, and that they'd have put the two sets of LATCH in the outboard positions so that 3 across situations weren't forced to use seatbelt installs in 2 of 3 positions...the center LATCH overlaps the drivers side seatbelt so if you do 3 across you have to use seatbelt on both center and drivers side.

The headrests sometimes interfere, but they're all removeable, so not an issue unless you have a Dorel seat or other seat that requires support from the vehicle seat.

rxmommy

I have a 2006 EX-L w/ DVD. It is an 8-passenger.

We are currently a family of 5 and I have used the 8th seat just once. Yes, I've put a carseat there, so it's not completely useless for seats! The seat has no top tether though so I'm not sure you'd want to put a FF seat there and I don't know how many boosters would fit. You can move the passenger side seat to the middle so the aisle is on the side. Honestly though it's fairly easy to reach the 3rd row without climbing in and it's easy enough for me to climb back there if needed. My 3rd row passengers buckle themselves. When we're a family of 6 I'm going to be really glad for the 8th seat and the ability to put 3 across in that row and fold down 2/3 of the 3rd row for cargo (or the dog crate) if needed.

On the Ody, the 8th seat is a tiny jump seat. It is incredibly easy to take in and out by myself and I just store it in a cupboard in my garage. I took the captains' chair out of my old van a few times and that was a beast. Not something I would want to do frequently. I could do the Plus One seat daily if it was that important!

Not sure. The 3rd row for sure they go pretty high I think they'd be just fine for an adult. I only have kiddos needing headrests occasionally so far!

I have done one 3-across in the 2nd row and there's a whole thread on that. The 3rd row is not terribly wide - I believe the Sienna is 3-4" wider. Makes for a big deal when buckling boosters. The only way I'd be able to get 3 boosters back there would involve a Bubblebum. I honestly haven't tried any of my harnessed seats back there.

Radian-friendly?
Sorry don't know don't own one! I have read no in the captain's chairs RFing though. Might be different with the new angle adjuster though.

Yes, because my kids play with them all the time. :rolleyes: And then complain they are hot/cold. Well then stop turning off your vents!!! :rolleyes:

LOVE my Ody. :love: Seriously adore it. I will drive it until it dies. It has a lot of miles on it and looks like new (well cared for by its previous owner!) and runs great. I would recommend it in a heartbeat!

The only trouble I had with it is in the captain's chair in the 2nd row it was sort of interfering with the belt sliding and making it harder for Evelyn to buckle her booster so I took it off. I'm not sure it's really helped though, it's kind of the seat itself that gets in the way. And it should change once she gets taller and I can move the headrest up. I have all the headrests up in the 3rd row and no troubles with boosters back there.

Pixels

2008 Sienna LE 8 passenger

We are currently a family of 5 and bought the 8 passenger because of DC#4 on the way...but I LOVE the 8 passenger for 3 kids...SO much more than my 7 passenger I had before. I am able to get three kids across the center row easy-peasy, so I can stow the back seats for tons of cargo when needed. I also have room to spread the kids out, and have plenty of room for carpooling, and for grandparents, etc to ride with us. The Sienna allows the outboard captains chairs in middle row to be flipped up and attached to the handle on the side of the van (even while driving), so its actually easier for me to get to kids in the 3rd row to buckle than it was in my 7 passenger. Even if you aren't comfortable driving with them flipped, they're so easy to flip its no issue to flip them up out of the way to buckle 3rd row kids every time you get in/out then flip them back down while driving.

At least according to the 2004 manual, you can only leave them flipped while driving if the third row is unused. I'll have to carefully read that section of the manual for the model year(s) we are looking at before purchasing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC