Do you keep different "travel" seats for long trips?

todzwife

DD1 is almost 6. She does fine in a booster for short rides, but on long trips (which we take at least monthly) she falls asleep and slumps out of position. For this reason, I've kept her in a Radian.

We got a new van on Tuesday, and I realized once they weren't smooshed in the car that she looks like her shoulders are getting a little too wide for it, and her legs hang, she has SUPER long legs. I'm pretty sure her feet will fall asleep quickly in that seat.

I'm thinking I may need to get her a Frontier for travel. She'd be fine in a turbobooster around town, but I don't trust her to stay in position for 4 hours.

Does anyone do this for their booster riders? I may just get her a frontier and keep her in it unless she complains but she HAS been bugging me for a booster.:rolleyes:

She's about 44 inches and 44 pounds.

ADS

Keeanh

My 7yo spent almost a year using the Monterey around town, while still being harnessed for long trips when he would likely fall asleep. At first, he fit in the TF. But after a couple months I gave up and bought the Frontier for trips. Now my 5yo mostly uses the Frontier. But if I don't have a harnessed seat for her, like if we quickly go somewhere in DH's car, she's fine in the Monterey.

AuntieKatie

Someone on here did this (I'm so sorry o can't think of her name) bit it probably saved her daughter's life. She was in a really similar position, had a 6 year old that did fine while awake but slumped while sleeping. So on a long trip, she harnessed her daughter and they ended up getting into a really bad wreck but they're all okay!
I'm sure someone on here will remember who it was a link you to the story... It's amazing :)

skylinphoto

I do this for my 5.5 yo. He rides great in a booster around town. But when we are going to be driving more than 4 hrs straight, I put his radian in.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Mags462

We have a Nauti in storage for a spare seat and if we are going on a road trip (3+) hours i harness him again .... but mainly so i dont have to monitor him.... hes always been a perfect booster rider, he even sleeps in position! But for my own peace of mind i harness him when it will be an extended trip.... but for our frequent 2.5 hour trips to tulsa or dallas he stays in his Monterey. :)

bubbaray

I would not. I would find her a booster that she can sleep in without slumping, like the Monterey.

I do have "travel" seats (Radian and LBB), but I use them for gate checking on airplanes and then use in rental cars.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Someone on here did this (I'm so sorry o can't think of her name) bit it probably saved her daughter's life. She was in a really similar position, had a 6 year old that did fine while awake but slumped while sleeping. So on a long trip, she harnessed her daughter and they ended up getting into a really bad wreck but they're all okay!
I'm sure someone on here will remember who it was a link you to the story... It's amazing :)

Are you thinking of ketchupqueen?
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2011-09-15/gaps-in-child-seat-safety/50419556/1

http://carseatnanny.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-i-do-what-i-do.html

NannyMom

I would and do. Sofi uses a Frontier for her everyday seat. I have a My Ride in storage. She sleeps better in that, so we use it for travel.

aeormsby

I plan on doing that. We'll have 2 Frontiers that DS will be using when DD is boostered in both vehicles this spring, I definitely plan on putting her back in the harness for a long road trip. And we'll be holding on to the harnesses for the FR's when DS eventually uses a booster too.

Sleeping is the main reason I'd switch back to harnessing for a good booster rider.

MANDY1234

I am. I just bought ODD a FR85 for our vacation this summer. It's a 12 hour drive, no way is she is being boostered for that.

I have kids to pass it down to, if that makes a difference.

rxmommy

We used to. I would put my 7-year-old in the Nautilus for long trips (actually we usually took daddy's truck for those trips and he had the Nauti so it really wasn't switching at all). Now she has outgrown the GN and I see no reason to buy her a taller harnessed seat as she actually stays in position fine when asleep. Actually her 5.5-year-old sister is boostered as well (in a PWSGL) and also stays upright when sleeping. I will probably not do lbb on trips for quite some time. And for our 500-mile trip to Grandma's for Christmas the 5yo will go back in a harness. Just too much time in the car and too much time for her to wiggle. I will probably give the SGL to big sister if she wants because the headwings are a tad more supportive.

Actually, right now both of our HB Turbos are in daddy's truck and Olivia is in a Harmony backless that was in my van. And Olivia keeps pestering me to put "her seat" back because she'd rather have the hb Turbo. Maybe because it's pink LOL. None of her friends ride in hb boosters - probably 95% of them ride in nothing, but she neither notices nor cares and I love that. :)

alake

My oldest is the same size as yours. She is opposite. We use a booster for travel (If we are flying, for at the destination, and she uses a Frontier for when we are at home. She also has a prosport. She fits extremely well. Mine will be six Christmas eve. She has very long legs, and a very short torso, but is 44 pounds and 44 inches tall.

rachelandtyke

I do - DD has a TF and a Vivo in the car depending on the length of the trip. However, when she outgrows the TF, she'll be boostered full time, even on trips. But I think we can get to at least 7 in the TF, if not longer.

krfogle88

DD use a TF when we travel instead of her Nautilus as she has more room to lay her head compared to the small wings on the Nautilus. DN rides to and from preschool in a booster and if we go in town or further (30+ min) she rides in a CA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC